Sign in to follow this  
CyclonicTuna

ACR is unplayable

So I bought and installed ACR the other day, but when I was done installing I couldn't find any new missions under the campaign tab. I mostly run the Alpinestars launcher to activate and deactivate mods, and it did show up on there. So I ticked the ACR box in the launcher and then it did show up.

But its full of bugs!!

Its mostly unplayable because every 5 minutes or so I get a black screen. The strange thing is that I still hear the audio of the game but my screen shows nothing. This indicates to me that the game is still running, but I can't play!

I really feel as if this is a thing BI squeezed out at the last moment to get as much out of Arma 2 as possible, with as result poor quality. Nevertheless I would like to play the new missions, so If someone could help me out here I'd really appreciate it.

I mostly run the Alpinestars launcher to activate and deactivate mods, and it did show up on there. So I ticked the ACR box in the launcher and then it did show up.

Try without any 3rd party software and mods/addons, then report back.

I really feel as if this is a thing BI squeezed out at the last moment to get as much out of Arma 2 as possible, with as result poor quality. Nevertheless I would like to play the new missions, so If someone could help me out here I'd really appreciate it.

So your judging a game and game company on a game you cannot see but only hear? Post all your specs ect... to get hardware help.

I run a Nvidia 275 GTX, Core i7 930, Win 7 64 bit, 6 GB DDR3 RAM. Those guys on dev-heaven indeed discribed the same problem but they havn't seem to have found a resolution yet.

I am not blaming BI for anything, It just seems to me like they didn't pay a lot of attention to this particular DLC because I never had any other major problems with Arma.

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

Myke;2200661']Try without any 3rd party software and mods/addons' date=' then report back.[/quote']

Sadly that doesn't seem to make any diffrence :(.

Edited by CyclonicTuna

The only solution for you (unless you have your videocard overclocked) is to press Shift + Numpad Minus and then type F L U S H

And if your videocard is overclocked - tough luck - it will lock into a slowass 2D-speed profile and you will have to do some more actions which will include restarting the game.

In any case you will still have to do that every 5 minutes which means you may as well give up and either

a) wait until the fix which may not happen soon if at all*

b) get any other videocard but GTX2xx.

*ArmA2 has a history of really hating them GTX2xx since its release date and driver-crash situation was getting worse/better on a patch by patch basis but it was never fixed. Although perhaps now with such frequent and easily reproducible crashes the situation will finally change.

Edited by metalcraze

It just seems to me like they didn't pay a lot of attention to this particular DLC because I never had any other major problems with Arma.

I have ACR full version aswell, don't have any problems with it. My guess is that BI paid well attention as far as they could. You surely agree that they can't test every possible combination of hardware/operation system/driver versions out there.

So please, be careful with such statements:

But its full of bugs!!

since there are quite hundreds of players out there without having problems. But of course you wont notice them as only thos with problems will post here.

Please don't take offence as this is not my intention and i surely do understand your frustration and i really wish i could tell you something helpful....sadly i can't except to ask for a little patience as hopefully very soon someone shows up with a solution that works for you.

The only advice i would/could give would be a complete reinstall of ArmA 2 but i also understand that this surely will/should be the very last option.

Myke;2200744']I have ACR full version aswell' date=' don't have any problems with it. My guess is that BI paid well attention as far as they could. You surely agree that they can't test every possible combination of hardware/operation system/driver versions out there.

So please, be careful with such statements:

since there are quite hundreds of players out there without having problems. But of course you wont notice them as only thos with problems will post here.

Please don't take offence as this is not my intention and i surely do understand your frustration and i really wish i could tell you something helpful....sadly i can't except to ask for a little patience as hopefully very soon someone shows up with a solution that works for you.

The only advice i would/could give would be a complete reinstall of ArmA 2 but i also understand that this surely will/should be the very last option.[/quote']

Well I have always been very patient with Arma in the past and I will always be. But I just seems so strange to me that this occurd so all of a sudden. I have always had little technical hick ups here and there but never anything that couldn't be solved. So its indeed quite frustrating that I'm being told all I can do is sit and wait and that there isn't really a fix. So yeah, its a shame, but I guess I'll have to be patient again.

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

The only solution for you (unless you have your videocard overclocked) is to press Shift + Numpad Minus and then type F L U S H

And if your videocard is overclocked - tough luck - it will lock into a slowass 2D-speed profile and you will have to do some more actions which will include restarting the game.

In any case you will still have to do that every 5 minutes which means you may as well give up and either

a) wait until the fix which may not happen soon if at all*

b) get any other videocard but GTX2xx.

*ArmA2 has a history of really hating them GTX2xx since its release date and driver-crash situation was getting worse/better on a patch by patch basis but it was never fixed. Although perhaps now with such frequent and easily reproducible crashes the situation will finally change.

My videocard isn't overclocked but having to repeat such an action every five minutes won't really improve the gameplay experience. Buying a new videocard is pretty much excluded as well because I'm saving up for a new gaming rig by the time A3 launches. But its just a bummer, that probably means I'll have to go without for another year or so :(

Its mostly unplayable because every 5 minutes or so I get a black screen. The strange thing is that I still hear the audio of the game but my screen shows nothing. This indicates to me that the game is still running, but I can't play!

I get the same issue and have to Shift Num- "flush"

If you're having the same problem as me (also a proud owner of the much bedeviled GTX260), the black screen is your card taking a dump. However, you can actually get back into the game by geting to your desktop, pressing escape (which will bring up a menu ingame - you can see that this happens because the mouse cursor will change to the A2 variant). Now you hit ctrl+enter to switch to windowed mode and once again ctrl+enter to switch back into full mode and voila, you're back in the game. To sum up:

1. alt-tab out to the desktop

2. press escape - cursor should change

3. alt+enter twice

4. Tally ho!

I've had these crashes intermittently since A2 was first released, sometimes more than others (depending on patches, largely). However with ACR it has taken a turn for the worse, and the crashes are almost constant now (with only a few minutes in between dumps) - thus rendering the above solution kind of pointless. Arma just seems to dislike our cards.

It seems that when you make a lot of save files the error doesn't occur as often.

Try lowering your video memory to normal or lower than what you have it at now. That helped spread out the consistency of the crashes for me....I think...