Sign in to follow this  
destroystheovik

Higher altitudes?

Does anyone know if you will be able to fly to higher altitudes in ArmA III? ArmA II didn't really have enough space for dogfighting. Max altitude was about 3000 feet if I'm not mistaken. Higher altitudes would also make usage of AC-130s and E-3 Sentry's possible.....

I have taken the ''heavy'' A10 to 25000 altitude to dive and reach maximum speed...You can go even higher (and much faster) in F35 though if you wish

The only problem is that your control surfaces lock up around 10,000 meters, which I would constitute as a ceiling even though you can go much MUCH higher.

The only problem is that your control surfaces lock up around 10,000 meters, which I would constitute as a ceiling even though you can go much MUCH higher.

Take on lets you up there, maybe even A2 with the Mig as it is monstrously powerful, and the controls do leave you feeling they are dead after a certain point and they become more responsive when you are descending.

You enter cloud cover at around 3500 ft and fly through it to around 18000 ft, depending on the weather setting to have them there. I reckon every mission maker to have the weather down nearer the nasty end so to get the lovely fluffy clouds.

Flying through and above them is quite sublime in first person view, not so realistic in third but I can't think of how they could improve that anyway.

Anyone who hasn't played Take On is in for a treat.

please remember that in the ArmAverse, hight/altitude is measured in METERS not feet. 25,000 meters = 82,000 feet.

also the speed of aircraft are in Knots if i'm not mistaken. been able to get the F35 to just under 1,000 knots or 1852 km/h.

Only thing that you can't SENSE being that high. It would be nice to see cirrus clouds and the atmosphere getting a let more denser. Also in ARMA2 the view distance was low and when flying around 6000ft (realistic altitude for aircraft) you can't barely see the ground if you have about 3km view distance.

I always thought the speed was measured in km/h?

Only thing that you can't SENSE being that high. It would be nice to see cirrus clouds and the atmosphere getting a let more denser. Also in ARMA2 the view distance was low and when flying around 6000ft (realistic altitude for aircraft) you can't barely see the ground if you have about 3km view distance.
I don't believe you can "sense" the being that high without sticking your torso into a vise that tightens as you go higher in altitude...

Atmosphere gets less dense the higher you go until your in a vacume/space.

Having some high altitude cirrus clouds and maybe a nice dark blue sky for over 50k feet would be the most realistic I think.

it is yes

Speed in km/h, altitude in meters and distance in kilometres/meters.

It's just that at 5km altitude or even less,the game starts looking awfully awful ! compared to sims like DCS and Lockon.

And to be honest,dogfighting in arma 2 is nearly impossible ... generally it ends in less than 2 mins

I would love to see the stars and the dark edge of space like in this video , when im flying at the maximum height :

the game starts looking awfully awful ! compared to sims like DCS and Lockon.

guess why! because it's not a dedicated flightsim. To make it look like in the vid above you would need 1000's of km² of landscape

Does anyone know if you will be able to fly to higher altitudes in ArmA III? ArmA II didn't really have enough space for dogfighting. Max altitude was about 3000 feet if I'm not mistaken. Higher altitudes would also make usage of AC-130s and E-3 Sentry's possible.....

Well first of all, the ceiling in Arma 2 is much higher than 3000, in fact I have NO idea where you got that number from, must have been flying an AH-6J or something. But also, even if you were at said 3000, that is indeed measured in Meters I am quite sure, and so that is more than 9000 feet.

Maybe he was missing a zero. 30,000 feet is about 10,000 meters (The point when your control surfaces start to lock up.).

I think it's also seeing the AI all flying real low, all the jets in game are ground attack aircraft, the game really isin't designed for air seperiority aircraft, not that it can't handle it though, but AI don't keep to that hight so I think we stick to that height too.

It is configuarable between km/h and knots and feet and metres in take on. You get to use real pilots measurements instead of some european rubbish. :P

You really want to discuss wether metric or imperial is better, or which one of MM/DD/YYYY and DD/MM/YYYY makes more sense? ;)

You really want to discuss wether metric or imperial is better, or which one of MM/DD/YYYY and DD/MM/YYYY makes more sense? ;)

Depends, I am old enough as for both of them to make sense.

You get to use real pilots measurements instead of some european rubbish. :P

European rubbish? Afaik (and I'm into aviation btw, the general kind :)) european pilots use feet, knots, and miles (nautical), as they all blends superbly with the navigational concept. Russians use metric. Other than the navigational aspect, is that so bad? Sure, you get different rule of thumbs but they do exist also in metric. Otoh, you do get unified units where ground and air forces speak the same language without conversion. Try dividing an aeronautical map into MGRS and tell me what you find :)

I prefer feet myself (for aeronautical usage, metric for the rest), but I won't deny russians to switch to metric or western pilots switching to metric while flying russian equipment. A friend of mine is checked out on the Antonov AN-2, where everything in the cockpit is metric - "a bloody nightmare until you actually get used to it", he says.

guess why! because it's not a dedicated flightsim. To make it look like in the vid above you would need 1000's of km² of landscape

All you need is some engine tweaks ...