Sign in to follow this  
mike187

what linux distro are you guys using for your server?

just wondering what the majority uses... i was browsing the web with benchmark stuff and figured out that not all distributions has the same performance...

for example the Fedora outperforms the Ubuntu distro... even in the Desktop field.

According to this:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTExNjQ

Ubuntu is suppose to be a desktop distro and Fedora more in the server. I was used to RedHat years ago even when Fedora didn't exist... so thats why i choose Fedora in the firstplace.

for now my server runs Fedora 13... its really stable so i was lazy to update to newest version.

the question is, are you guys recommending a total different distribution to run the A2 server? if so why? ;)

cheers,

Mike

I've been slowly moving to Debian testing, and that's where I have my server. I also have a machine with Fedora, but that will go away. Never really liked it.

Personally I would say Debian or Opensuse. Not because they are better to run a server, but because they are better. My 2 cents

I'm using Funtoo at the moment. It's very fast and light but requires quite a lot of Linux knowledge and configuration. Debian stable is good for a production server, so is Fedora (a minimum install, anyway) as it's a little more up to date. CentOS is probably the most stable distro, but it's also the most behind with package versions. Ubuntu Server is easy to manage but isn't particularly light.

Really it's down to personal preference as I doubt there's a massive speed difference even between binary and source based distros.

I'm using FreeBSD, this is the best distro Linux. :rolleyes:

I'm using FreeBSD, this is the best distro Linux. :rolleyes:

FreeBSD is more Unix than Linux but it has a Linux emulation mode... but it should be faster than any Linux when your hardware is supported.

My question to you now is, can you just run the Arma2 server natively on FreeBSD or do you have to use the Linux emulator mode? ;)

cheers,

Mike

I run Ubuntu...but only because I love debian; that and Ubuntu has a huge community.

I come from the Debian tradition and our current servers (and my non-gaming laptop/desktop) all run Ubuntu 64bit (servers run headless).

I think the choice of distro is more about comfort zone these days. As in, which one do you feel most relaxed with running/updating/maintaining, finding available packages for your needs and possible community support.

So really: Whatever feels right for you is probably right for you :) !

However if you want better performance on a headless server, you would gain more by looking into your hardware and maybe also kernel tweaking rather than different distros.

A note about that actual test:

It is run on a rather dated laptop where the main tests were about compiling stuff. The difference in result is mainly due to the newer version of compiler and to some extent the kernel version (both pointed out by the author Michael). Next time around it might flip the other way and then next again yet another distro comes out on top.

Also, I thought Fedora was meant as a desktop alternative to Redhat.

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

Btw, we also rent a few gameserver instances ("normal" shooters) at a server center in US. They used to run CentOS (IIRC) - they now run RedHatES.

Edited by =WFL= Sgt Bilko

ok, I think i really don't need any optimized server anyway as we only use it for coop 4-6 players max. I also share the opinion that its more to personal taste...

Will go for the CentOS server version as its easier for me with the RPM family. :)

that way I won't have that every 13 Months upgrade issue anymore.

thanks! :)

centos-5-x86_64 stripped down with very basics no gui

Run 20+ slots with only 1G of ram = no lag for players. Bumped it to 32 but users over 250 ping seems to cause us some lag. I'm sure more ram would help but I'm cheap )

Ubuntu Server, cause it's very similar to GUI version (but what the heck, it's in terminal you do the work anyway), and very good support (official and community). Was thinking about switching to Deb, but as it's no significant performance to gain (AFIK), I stay with the one I got. No HW issues, no performance issues (OS related), why bother?

Find a distro you like, and tweak it. As =WFL= Sgt Bilko points out, it's more to gain by tuning your existing distro, then changing distro.

(not that I'm a nix-wiz, I got a friend breed, born and feed up in SlackWare)

ok, I think i really don't need any optimized server anyway as we only use it for coop 4-6 players max. I also share the opinion that its more to personal taste...

Will go for the CentOS server version as its easier for me with the RPM family. :)

that way I won't have that every 13 Months upgrade issue anymore.

thanks! :)

Just a heads up - the latest Linux server alpha version requires a new glibc, which may not be included in Debian Stable or CentOS 6.2 and below (?), might be time to upgrade your distros.

Warning: do not use the linux alpha 1.62.95577 if you want to host a server with players in it.

imago@server:~/zl-wine$ uname -a

Linux server 3.2.0-27-generic #43-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 6 14:25:57 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Indeed, don't try to host a production server with it - it is, after all, an alpha. Purely for testing.

Agreed. Hold off and wait for the Devs to get it a bit more stable. Right now efforts seem to be wasted on what to use and what performs best.

I think the question needs to be asked if ArmA3 linux server is going to have better support than ArmA2 did and will it use the same libs as we are dealing with now.

Last thing I want to do is change Linux versions everytime there is an update. (exaggerated but hey, why not?) :)

It's probably going to be using the new glibc, too. There are loads of performance improvements, bug fixes and new features in the newer versions so you really should think about switching. I don't think you'll need to upgrade to a newer version in a while.

Alternatively, use a rolling-release distro like ArchLinux, though the frequent updates can break things sometimes.