Sign in to follow this  
mennelik76

jet fighter sp missions

hi, i ask myself why aren't there jet fighter sp missions in arma games i mean without mods or made missions not by BI?

While the game is certain to have jets, you are quite right that there isn't usually a lot of home made jet missions. I think the community may not make many jet missions because jets seem to have the least detailed simulation of all the vehicle classes in ArmA. That said, in team-work missions like domination, jets definitely can play a decisive role so long as the pilots are good. There are jets in warfare, for example.

Let's keep this discussion more about exploring the value of jet missions and the kinds of jet missions that you guys think would be cool, then we don't have to merge this into the request thread.

If the TOP just wants to make a straight up 'moar jet missions', please use the community wishlist and idea sticky and we can lock this up.

Well, the kind of jet missions I would like to see, are the kind where your given an area to hunt, and then have to attack convoy's/enemy positions within that area, a bit like the convoy attack mission in my sig, but with jets instead of helis (and of course, random placements around the island). Have it as a template mission or something.

Of course, it would also be nice to have a laser targeting pod to go with this, so you can use LGB's to be that bit more accurate. Maybe have it so that the mission has laid down ROE's that your not allowed to break and hence you have to use LGB's and close rocket/gun attacks because you cannot destroy any buildings otherwise you would lose points/lose the mission.

I think it would be cool if you have to play for example the same day/operation in campaign one time as soldier who is perhaps a forward observer, and later on, as pilot who tells his story and from his point of view from the same operation. This way you would see the different roles and how the gears have to play together.

An example:

day 6:

your a forward observer behind enemy lines - the attack is going on - your task is to report targets which are the biggest danger for the success of the whole mission.

You have to target objectives and call air support to destroy those targets.

day 6:

Your a pilot, you have to enroute and check-in, awaiting orders to strike targets to keep the attack up.

You get calls from the person you played some missions before and give your best to defeat the targets.

Something like this has not to happen with every mission, but I'd like to see that now and then (also with other roles? perhaps one time you are a tank driver, and the other time you are an airborne soldier landing next to the tanks because they had to call infantry reinforcements because of whatever reason)

The kind of jet missions id like to see in a campaign probably couldnt be done or done well atleast in arma series imo, theres something about flying in the game that just doesnt seem right to me personally. Now obviously arma 3 is a new game but i cant see it being that massively different.

Because a campaign has to be scripted the only gripping flight gameplay imo is in multiplayer. Wont add a lot of value for me to see flight missions in campaign.

Hunt area missions are lame imo. If you want to have fun in the air in SP you need real action on the ground too - shooting convoys that just travel a certain route is boring target practise. But if you have to support your ground forces in the battle, the targets are not always predictable in their movement, you have to take care about not shooting friendlies, approach in a good direction, etc etc. It only gets interesting if you can see the ground forces struggle from above, and most important: hear their radio reports. Otherwise it's just point, shoot, "you won", without atmosphere at all - like in the arma 2 armory.

How about a timed ground attack run, (When the war really heats up later in the campaign) where you get random radio messages for CAS all across Limnos with increasing urgency from the ground forces, (Some optional and CRITICAL taskings) with a few "Danger Close" calls where extra percision (and maybe a little luck) are required to ensure your buddies don't get blown to bits aswell. If you get shot down and survive, drop you weapons and get captured by the Iranians, you may then play as a SF rescue team if you want to add in those elements of choice and consequence to the campaign. (Of course, if you can S.E.R.E yourself out of the frying pan and make your way to a pickup point then no rescue op would be neccesary :))

Edited by BobcatBob

As long as TAB exists don't expect to have a lot of jet mission,because simply you will get bored after TABbing two target ... it's just so arcade to be played.

The reasons why jets are not that fun are summed up in the "Tunguska" Thread in Arma2&OA General.

Hint:It's not the Tunguskas fault.

Since A3 will have the largest terrain up to date,together with a higher VD and a higher/adjustable Object view distance we might see some improvements.

They could make the Jets faster.

Guess another reason is that the default islands/maps are too small for proper A2A, A2G combat with planes. Let alone the missing sensor, radar/EW and communication features.... guess in 2035 there will be more BVR than WVR battles. Technolgy, developments and strategy/tactics didn't stop with WW I or WW II. Its possible that OPFOR could have deployed upgraded S-300/S-400 SAM on Limnos to protect whatever they have to protect. Good times for recon units and long range artillery/standoff weapon systems.... but maybe we will see only upgraded Pantzir systems ;)

You will have the new clouds to add some diversity and in Take-On getting some of the addon fighters up to 40,000 feet was a decent experience.

I don't know the size of the Limnos map compared to Take-On's South Asia but it took between five to ten minutes with a Mig35 at around 750knots to go corner to corner of the map.

Standard A2 aircraft take a lot lot longer.

They have the maps size to increase the speeds or they can keep similar performances as A2 to make the map feel even bigger, with the whole map surrounded by ocean it really wouldn't be a problem to up the speed as you would never really run out of map.

It would be nice to have some logistics based aircraft missions too, for those of us who can't hit shit in a fighter or ground attack aircraft.

Transportmissions should be in, yeah. Would be a good exercise for Multiplayer if you are new to the game. The player should be tought that those vehicles are valuable - instead of the battefield tactic: fly above targetzone, eject.

As long as TAB exists don't expect to have a lot of jet mission,because simply you will get bored after TABbing two target ... it's just so arcade to be played.

Well, then give the player more then 2 targets so he has to use his board weapons too =P

They could make the Jets faster.

From a gameplay perspective you wouldn't gain anything from that imo. Even if the island is bigger, the action will still be only in a small zone

Guess another reason is that the default islands/maps are too small for proper A2A, A2G combat with planes. Let alone the missing sensor, radar/EW and communication features.... guess in 2035 there will be more BVR than WVR battles. Technolgy, developments and strategy/tactics didn't stop with WW I or WW II. Its possible that OPFOR could have deployed upgraded S-300/S-400 SAM on Limnos to protect whatever they have to protect. Good times for recon units and long range artillery/standoff weapon systems.... but maybe we will see only upgraded Pantzir systems ;)

Even Limnos is too small for S400 :P

Although alot of fun in multiplayer warfare type scenarios I always felt the fast jet side to arma slightly lacking.

Some good singleplayer missions incorporating the most important aspects of multiplayer jet flying would be good.

Eg. Taking off from some rough field type runways, having a high concentration off AA on the ground attempting to take you out,deep strike/bombing missions into enemy territory and low fast flying.

Throw in a little more detailed fixed wing flight model that simulates high g blackouts, vortices, realistic elections, working after burners, better high angle of attack flight conditions etc and we'd be more than happy :-)

You need the right tools for the job if you want jet aircraft to be useful at doing their job. So the F35 for example in Arma2 if it had a targetting pod and LGB capability it would be very useful. Without those its a flying paper weight you also want an RWR for SEAD and anti-radiation missiles. More detail in this area makes the capability more realistic and balanced. CCRP/CCIP modes for the bombs as well as decent radar.

The kind of jet missions id like to see in a campaign probably couldnt be done or done well atleast in arma series imo, theres something about flying in the game that just doesnt seem right to me personally. Now obviously arma 3 is a new game but i cant see it being that massively different.

Because a campaign has to be scripted the only gripping flight gameplay imo is in multiplayer. Wont add a lot of value for me to see flight missions in campaign.

And I don't think Captain Scott Miller knows how to fly a jet, LOL.

Well it's not just Capt. Scott Miller, perhaps Cpl. Ben Kerry (7ID) might know...

Well it's not just Capt. Scott Miller, perhaps Cpl. Ben Kerry (7ID) might know...

Nope, he's infantry. There's also a tank driver and a chopper pilot, but no jet pilots as far as I know. Then again, Sam Nichols got to fly an A-10 eventually...

Transportmissions should be in, yeah. Would be a good exercise for Multiplayer if you are new to the game. The player should be tought that those vehicles are valuable - instead of the battefield tactic: fly above targetzone, eject.

Well, then give the player more then 2 targets so he has to use his board weapons too =P

From a gameplay perspective you wouldn't gain anything from that imo. Even if the island is bigger, the action will still be only in a small zone

Instead of the tab target, it should be like mando missiles, that was atleast fun and interesting to use. Right now you can tab anything even if its engine is not on and you dont know about it. Just keep spamming tab and woah! magic lock.