Sign in to follow this  
Tonia

Cannot find saved games/user folder in OFP Cold War Crisis and Win 7

Hi;

I’m having some difficulty finding my Saved games and User folder for Operation Flashpoint Cold War Crisis.

I am running Windows 7 32 bit Home edition on a Toshiba laptop.

I installed the game to its default location (C:Program Files\Codemasters) using the original CD purchased back in 2001 and patched the game to the latest version 1.96. The game runs perfectly fine, and I have played through the campaigns so I know that my progress is being saved somewhere on my hard drive. I also wanted to play some fan-generated missions, and wanted to created a sub-directory as stated in the Avon Lady’s excellent post on the subject (this was a few years ago where she suggested creating a sub-folder within the USER folder). I did this on a previous computer running XP and had no problems finding the folders.

Under Windows 7, I cannot find the USER folder anywhere. I read all the posts I could find on the subject, and they all seem to be variations on allowing different permissions to see folders OR finding the OFP USER folder under C:Users. I have full administrator rights on my computer (and indeed the administrator is the “owner†of the OFP folder), and I have enabled the “show hidden files, folders, and drives†under the View Folders option. I also enabled the “view system protected files†option and looked at every folder under C:Users and C:Progarm files\Codemasters but still I cannot find the saved games or user folder for OFP.

I am considering simply uninstalling and re-installing the game but I want to make sure that any orphan left-over folders are deleted before I re-install. Any help in locating the missing folders would be greatly appreciated (again, I know they are somewhere on my hard drive because my progress in the game is being saved).

Regards,

Tonia

Thanks for your reply, ProfTournesol. I had already accessed the link you suggested prior to posting my question because it did not solve the problem I was having. However, I looked again specifically at your suggestion (not the one provided by STGN) and indeed you are right. The confusion on my part was because the clarification posted by STGN and Zetetick was actually quite confusing (eg , Windows 7 apparently does not have a "Documents and settings" folder, and enabling the “view folder†options did not help in my case) whereas your solution was the correct one.

Just to clarify for anyone else having this problem, while in the CWA or OFP main folder you should see “Compatibility Files†at the top of the folder toolbar, and as ProfTournesol suggested once you click on that you will be brought to the directory that contains the OFP Users folder (in my case it was buried in a “VirtualStore subfolder under C:Users). The full path is below in case this information helps others (I cannot post attachments otherwise I would have included a screenshot).

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\Users

Thanks again for your help in this, and I hope this will clarify the situation in case others run into this problem.

Regards,

Tonia

Hi Tonia!

Thanks for your post! I had exactly the problem not to know the savegame-folder's path since running win7.

Duke

Go to appdata and then go in local

Once in local go in Virtual Store

Once in virtual store go on program files

Once in program files go on Codemasters

Once in Codemasters go on Operation Flashpoint

And there is your users folder :)

I found this out the hard way :(

I know this is probly so old you wont read this or you dont want to play but if anyone comes by they'll know now :)

(Win7)

If you dont know how to get to appdata then google it, its easy.