Sign in to follow this  
-Anti-

What's the minimum you have to do in Red Harvest Manhattan?

I'm so sick of this mission it's not even funny. I've completed it several times now, and during each

attempt some stupid bug (different every time) prevented it from being able to end. All I want to do

is forget this mission and go on with the campaign.

So what's the minimum you have to do in Red Harvest Manhattan?

Are there one or two particular tasks that can trigger the end of the mission?

I tried finding the main base and getting the docs from the insurgent leader only, forgetting

about the other tasks, and I get the message to return to base, but when I go back to shaftoe, the

mission doesn't end.

Also, what is the trigger for destroying the main base? The artillery strike is pathetic - they never

even hit anything. I have to kill everyone myself. The T-72 and APC are still functional because I

don't have enough weaponry to destroy them. Is that why I don't get the 'base destroyed' task?

And is that one of the triggers to finish the mission?

Thanks.

I believe that there is an ammo crate in the camonet behind Shaftoe that has AT weapons in it to use against the Tank and BMP. You can also try searching some of the other posts about Manhattan for SMAW or Javelin and that may help you locate it. Beyond that I'm not entirely sure. I haven't played it since it first came out.

If you find your vehicle damaged, there is a repair truck at the airfield in the northern end of the map. You can also find fuel/ammo trucks there and at FOB Manhattan.

@Taylor +1.

However I found it harder to finish the main base with vehicles than without them. I just switched to my AT guy (T, or Y, or U keys - one if them :P ), sneaked through the trees and used it against the armour. Was pretty easy to be honest.

For me, what triggered the mission end was finding the last camp. But mind that I had already destroyed the main base and had attempted (in one case not successfully) to capture the civilians. So only thing I had left was to find all the camps, and the mission only ended when I found the last of them.

If you don't want to do Manhattan at all you can always use the cheat code and unlock the campaign, which will enable you to chose any mission. Just choose the next from Manhattan and move on, it looks like that's what you want. *IMHO* Manhattan is one of the best/most immersing missions for Arma 2 and after that the Harvest Red campaign only goes downhill - although the very next one is still worth playing (forgot the name). If you think Manhattan was buggy, wait for Dogs of War (the last "mission"). :cool:

I won't post the cheat code here, I'm not so veteran to know clearly what's allowed and what's not, but you can find them very easily by googling around...

Thanks for the replies.

Personally, I think the tasks are good, but they should have been split into two different missions. I would have preferred to have

one focusing on the sentry bases and main base, and another on the smugglers and arrests. There is far too much driving around

IMO, and so I've been trying to take the helicopter instead, but that is fraught with danger due to the pilot's lack of skills (Eg. flying

stealthily, taking evasive action, landing safely, and not taking off automatically when attacked by infantry).

As for the Javelin, it hasn't been effective against the T72. Maybe I'm not taking enough ammo for it.

But I still feel let down by the artillery strike too - they're worse than useless!

Oh yeah, so true. Artillery seems to be useless. No problem, for me it often bugs and doesn't even appear as an option anyway :D

See, it all boils down to taste. I loved Manhattan exactly because it has so many tasks and it's quite "open". Especially considering you have the civilian's profiles so you have to take decisions on when to look for them and where etc. You have to plan yourself what to do, when and how. And I thought it was absolutely brilliant and quite unique.

That's exactly the reason I quite hated the Operation Arrowhead campaign. I felt like playing CoD (the first and second ones) all over again. Short and streamlined missions where you take no decision, make no plan, just run and shoot whatever is ahead of you until you either keep going or there is nothing else to shoot.

For me, the driving (under tension) is a huge immersion factor. It's not just driving, but driving in tension area, looking for a wide variety of things (base, camps, pick-ups that may carry weapon smuglers) and in which you can be ambushed at any point. Of course you can play the "save and drive fast, if shit happens reload" style but I preferred to take it seriously and take my time "as if I was there" and in that situation. And I must tell you, I had one of the best times I ever had in gaming. And mind that my PC military gaming started with "Airborne Ranger" around 1989 :D .

I really wish so much there were many more "Manhattan type of missions" out there... where you not only can but must make decisions and plans etc and they do affect the mission (many other missions the decisions you have to "make" are quite obvious and often don't affect the mission much). I loved how Manhattan took advantage of the "open world" aspect of Arma.

I'm so sick of this mission it's not even funny. I've completed it several times now, and during each

attempt some stupid bug (different every time) prevented it from being able to end. All I want to do

is forget this mission and go on with the campaign.

So what's the minimum you have to do in Red Harvest Manhattan?

Are there one or two particular tasks that can trigger the end of the mission?

I tried finding the main base and getting the docs from the insurgent leader only, forgetting

about the other tasks, and I get the message to return to base, but when I go back to shaftoe, the

mission doesn't end.

Also, what is the trigger for destroying the main base? The artillery strike is pathetic - they never

even hit anything. I have to kill everyone myself. The T-72 and APC are still functional because I

don't have enough weaponry to destroy them. Is that why I don't get the 'base destroyed' task?

And is that one of the triggers to finish the mission?

Thanks.

minimum?

cheat using official cheats... can get past mission in about 3 key presses.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Cheats

Ah but using the mission skipping cheat does not save your choice variables properly and will break following missions.

Required tasks to finish the mission are:

Task: Report to Cpt. Shaftoe

Task: Search Gorka

Task: Insurgent sentry posts

Task: Insurgent main base

Task: Destroy the ChDKZ base

Task: Insurgent leader

Task: Report to Cpt. Shaftoe

Go here for tips. Search for word Manhattan

Also please describe what bugs you encountered with it, I have done a quite a lot work to get rid of most of the old Manhattan bugs through CIT.

Ah but using the mission skipping cheat does not save your choice variables properly and will break following missions.

Oh yeah, this is true.

Without any willingness of highjacking thread (since it might be useful to OP as well), is there any way to avoid this? Apparently if you use the cheat codes to jump into later missions you only play them as single missions and not as a campaign any more. Isn't there a way to "revert" back into "campaign mode" once you jumped into the later missions?

I thought Manhatten couldve been much better if there was a way to get some support from marines (ie, add a few to your squad) when you know youre going into action and there was more action in general.