Sign in to follow this  
sagitarius_2k

End of Nokia is near??

HELSINKI — Nokia Corp.'s second-quarter report Thursday is expected to be short on good news following a profit warning on June 14 and a sharp U.S. price cut this week for the Lumia 900, the Windows device that was supposed to boost the company's position in America.

WHAT TO WATCH FOR: Investors will be looking carefully at Nokia's sales of smartphones, especially its high-end Lumia line of devices running on Microsoft's Windows Phone software. Nokia and AT&T this week halved the price of the flagship Lumia 900 to $50 in the U.S., raising questions about how the phone is selling just three months after its introduction. Nokia called the cut "a normal strategy that is put in place during the life cycle of most phones."

After dominating the global cell phone market for more than a decade, Nokia has lost out to Apple and Samsung in smartphones and is now also losing ground to Samsung and other makers when it comes to lower-end devices. Research firm Gartner said in June that Samsung overtook Nokia as the world's top cell phone maker in the first quarter, with 86.6 million units sold, compared to 83 million for Nokia. The Finnish company had been No. 1 for 14 years.

Nokia's global market share has steadily shrunk from the peak of 40 percent in 2008 to 29 percent in 2011 and is expected to dwindle further this year. Meanwhile, Nokia shares have fallen to their lowest level since the 1990's, plunging below 𔚺 in mid-June.

Nokia warned last month that increased competition in the smartphone market would affect its operating margins in the second and third quarters.

It remains unclear whether the team-up with Microsoft last year will help reverse Nokia's slide and raise the company's profile in the U.S., where it has struggled to win market share.

THE BIG PICTURE: Nokia's decline underscores how Europe has lost its edge in the mobile industry. The ailing Finnish company — once the market bellwether — is now moving its manufacturing to Asia. Last month Nokia announced plans to slash 10,000 jobs and close down research and development facilities in Ulm, Germany, and Burnaby, Canada, as well as its main manufacturing plant in Salo, Finland.

WHAT'S EXPECTED: Analyst Hannu Rauhala from Pohjola Pankki in Helsinki said that "no beautiful figures can be expected" on Thursday. "We can expect a loss for sure. Focus will largely be on what kind of guidance the company will give for the third quarter," he said. "Visibility on the company's business is very short. I mainly expect to hear how the company is planning to defend its position in the transition phase from the older Windows Phone operating system to the new one."

LAST YEAR'S QUARTER: In the second quarter of 2011, Nokia reported a � million loss on revenue of í ‘í».3 billion.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505245_162-57474011/loss-expected-for-nokia-in-2nd-quarter/

Use Nokia since 2004, with N-Gage. Just change my cell phone. Nokia is tough cell phone. Sad news for people who will get fired.

Question

1. Why Nokia not changed its CEO??

2. Is This conspiracy use by M$ to buy Nokia with cheapest as possible?? Its CEO is former M$

3. Is this for effect because Nokia not used android as its OS??

Edited by sagitarius_2k

Nokia was dead since the last two years.My last phone from them was the awesome N95,but since then they couldn't adapt anymore.You don't adapt you die.Going with Win instead of Android was the mistake that cemented their fate.Too bad actually,more competition is always welcomed.

Maybe there is still a niche in the market for them to make invincible phones.

been expecting this.

The iPhone pretty much has killed Nokia

As one of the victims I was interviewed for Wall Street Journal about the situation:

READ HERE

Everyone in here saw through the empty words and posh acting.

No matter how hard it hits here, I hope Nokia burns.

Nokia should have focused on making good reliable and durable phones. My last Nokia wasn't reliable at all. I'm with Samsung now.

We currently see the end of a lot of brands all over the Industries, cars, food, clothing... some will only remain as branding names of larger companies only.

By the end of 2020 there might be only four car mass manufacturers left worldwide that will hold dozend of brands using the same technical plattforms. (Example, Seat, Skoda, Volkswagen, Porsche, Audi, Lamborghini, use the same components alraedy just like FIAT, Ferrari, Alfa Romeo)

Wy´hy should this trend make a halt in electronics consumer products manufacturers.

this will continue even more because tchnical innovation is not done in garage workshops anymore... all things that could be easily invented are already patented.

Edited by Beagle

Nokia should have focused on making good reliable and durable phones. My last Nokia wasn't reliable at all. I'm with Samsung now.

they just suffered from catastrophic dammages, caused by MS-affilated infiltrator, sneaked into top-management, just like does SGI , IBM in past too, for example.

now its become part of Microsoft assets.

and TrollTech IP/assets handed/transferred toward EA division of MS.

My first 2 or 3 phones were Nokias, many many years ago. With every model quality and durability decreased.

I have a 3310 that still works that's probably 14 years old. The thing has been dropped, smashed, stabbed into and smudged so many times and it still works. My dad has had another simple one for over 5 years now, one of the cheapest and simplest models they had at the time. After loads of abuse it still works fine where the top line model Nokias of the same era that my friends had have long since broken down. Since electronics have been "Made in China", I no longer trust the overpriced crap at all.

Industries rely on ovrproduction to keep unit costs low...to sell this overproduction you have to take measurs to reduce your products lifespan..this gos for all industrial products today...through car leasing even the ownership lifecycle of cars is reduced to 2 years nowadays.

The concept is named "made to break".

It will be a shame to see Nokia go I have owned more Nokia phones than any other type, not 1 single problem in over 15 years.

And it is a very sad and damaging trend. But somehow people have gotten used to it.

You guys remember the very first Gameboy? Solid like a brick. Today the plastic simply starts to crumble after aprox. 2,5 years.

Tonci is spot on,in the past companies cared about quality control,these days they use cheap crap to build their products for two reasons,to keep costs down and to make you to buy their stuff more often.For example instead of keeping an laptop for 3-4 years you'll need one in 2 years and so on.I expect this trend to become even bigger in the future.

Tonci is spot on,in the past companies cared about quality control,these days they use cheap crap to build their products for two reasons,to keep costs down and to make you to buy their stuff more often.For example instead of keeping an laptop for 3-4 years you'll need one in 2 years and so on.I expect this trend to become even bigger in the future.
Two years is the natural imit for product lifetime because thats the legal waranty time of all new product sold in zhe EU. A lot of the worst crap has disapered since then from the shelfs since it turned out to be unprofitable due to replacement costs for the dealer and manufacturer during this 2 years. The 2 year warranty law was introduced 2002 because the trend for "made to break" was already visible 10 years ago.

But electronics today is build with a 3 year kill switch quite often. Thats also why most car exaust are not made from stainless steel, its not the 30% higher materiel cost..its because one exaust would be good for the whole car life. same gos for other parts like brake discs.

Modern cars are made to last not longer than 10 years.

That's why you see more VW Golf Mk.I and II on the streets today compared to Mk.III...the Mk.III tends to fall apart after 10 years.

Edited by Beagle

I have a Nokia phone, damn thing's like a small brick. I've mentioned it before, of course. I've had for about six years now, others than some scrapes on the body and buttons thing still works like a charm.