Sign in to follow this  
msy

What if DAYZ becomes a stand-alone game and ARMA3 is still a non popular game

Will it come to trueth in order to maintain DAYZ as a MMO game, to earn much more money on it than ARMA3, BIS would rather assign more power on DAYZ. Then ARMA3 as a minor project will get less maintaince, less fix, less quality on editor\modding and less feature for open creation etc.? Maybe BIS will restrict the editor tools for ARMA3 due to 3rd mod group could reproduce a dayz like (not must be a zombie game, maybe a GTA like? a fallout like?) free mod in it and obviously these free mods would be a competitor to DAYZ stand-alone MMO.

Will BIS's goal turns military-sim to post apoclypse MMO? But yes, a MMO should be an ultimate interactive mode which is BIS's goal.

Edited by msy
add one word

HAHA at first i thought you were serious then i realized you were joking......you are joking right?

Anyhow BIS get most of the money with the VBS-like products, ARMA series are just for debugging and to try new things.

Just look at the launch dates of the new ArmAs compared with the new VBSs

Anyhow BIS get most of the money with the VBS-like products, ARMA series are just for debugging and to try new things.

Just look at the launch dates of the new ArmAs compared with the new VBSs

Is there any data confirming VBS series bring lots of money to BIS? Maybe one contract with a military group will get a large number of money, but it is a long term contract. In addition, VBS series need much money to develop too.

You are right about the maintenance bit. As recent betas show BIS fixes mostly what was broken in DayZ by DayZ instead of improving ArmA2. Like that VoN improvement. Nobody uses VoN in ArmA2 because it's crap compared to TS3 and especially ACRE and improving sound quality will not change that a bit because the issue runs much much deeper (lackluster 3D positioning, no custom channel separation allowing for dozens of channels incl. within the channels, no radiochannels). But VoN is used in DayZ because of a very closed nature of a mod forcing the same setup on everybody. Mumble support was voted in a long long time ago but BIS doesn't try to implement that still.

And then other stuff like magazine fullness indicator which was made for DayZ but is of almost no use in ArmA2 where instead the bullet counter on HUD should be removed, DayZ broke VoN with how players respawn, it was fixed for DayZ almost immediately, DayZ broke player authentification, again it was fixed for DayZ almost instantly. At the same time the majority of most voted issues on dev-heaven keeps catching dust.

Obviously this is a very good business as it keeps selling what sells the most at the moment and that's DayZ but MMOs (which DayZ is) don't last forever. DayZ audience is not ArmA audience, it will move on.

I hope this is not the future trend.

Is there any data confirming VBS series bring lots of money to BIS? Maybe one contract with a military group will get a large number of money, but it is a long term contract. In addition, VBS series need much money to develop too.

Military contracts for software are usually 7-8 digit sized.

And saying that ArmA is for debugging and trying new things is false - since VBS2 is the product that gets the cool stuff first and then maybe, just maybe years and years later ArmA gets it too. Like PhysX. Like deferred lighting. Like IR lasers. Like FLIR. Like render-to-texture and so on. Especially real-time editor which is under a big question for ArmA3 but was in VBS2 for many years and I believe also works in MP.

Edited by metalcraze

Well if it comes to that then we are pretty screwed. I hope BIS realizes that they have a quite loyal fanbase that keeps buying their products, compared to the hype following DayT crowd. They will be gone as soon as the next MoH COD BF gets released.

i'm sure BIS is loving this DayZ hype atm. More money for them, more money to play around with. (Bigger Arma3 budget :D )

If BIS is smart, they could branch out. Get rocket and a team to develop a stand alone game with BIS. (They got the man power. What are the take on helicopter guys doing now? and I sure a few people from Carrier Command can move over to the DayZ team since the game is final)

If they can keep a fan base for DayZ and have a team lead by rocket making a stand alone. They should be pretty gold.

This is all speculation and it will probably be wrong. But BIS has the chance to make a bit of cash now with DayZ. Lets see where this goes.

What if BIS gains enough money with DayZ to sustain ArmA3 development and thus can continue the hard niche route it has been following with a lot of dedication for 11 years ?

Do you think that without other creative ways of gaining good money they could remain independant on the actual video games market and continue to deliver the kind of product we like ?

Here's another thought.

If DayZ was standalone and making money for it...does that not go against the ethos of addon makers since 2001? ;) Would I be justified in asking for a euro or 2 for a new gun? a tenner for a weapon/vehicle pack? If Rocket/DayZ team get money for their mod(not donations), why should I churn out addons for free?

Just a thought :p

Here's another thought.

If DayZ was standalone and making money for it...does that not go against the ethos of addon makers since 2001? ;) Would I be justified in asking for a euro or 2 for a new gun? a tenner for a weapon/vehicle pack? If Rocket/DayZ team get money for their mod(not donations), why should I churn out addons for free?

You better start now.

Isn't Iron Front:Liberation 1944 just the Lib '44 mod for OFP?

Here's another thought.

If DayZ was standalone and making money for it...does that not go against the ethos of addon makers since 2001?

Not really, he (Rocket) is just one of many community people who have been hired by BI for their tallent/work.

Would I be justified in asking for a euro or 2 for a new gun? a tenner for a weapon/vehicle pack?

Nope, because

a. You're not employed by BI.

b. It'd break the EULA you agreed to.

If Rocket/DayZ team get money for their mod(not donations), why should I churn out addons for free?

Because

a. Rocket is employed by BI.

b. Its part of the EULA you agreed to (to not charge for your work)

Here's another thought.

If Rocket is using the BI Engine for his standalone game, he paid some money to obtain a licence which then grants him the right to commercially use the ArmA2 content.

Your license for the BI Tools clearly say no commercial use of the tools. So you have only two options: Release your addons for free, or don't release them at all.

Of course you are free to also start your own game and get a license from BI so you can use their engine for it. ;)

Meh... Ninja'd by DM

I knew that :p I don't have a problem with DayZ being standalone, My fear would be people thinking like I suggested.

Lets face it, people will go on a mad one without knowing all the facts or what they are talking about :D We all have seen it before

If Rocket is using the BI Engine for his standalone game, he paid some money to obtain a licence which then grants him the right to commercially use the ArmA2 content.

Your license for the BI Tools clearly say no commercial use of the tools. So you have only two options: Release your addons for free, or don't release them at all.

Of course you are free to also start your own game and get a license from BI so you can use their engine for it. ;)

Meh... Ninja'd by DM

There's are more options than that, as per the latest DLC, or content for other titles using the RV engine.

Well if it comes to that then we are pretty screwed. I hope BIS realizes that they have a quite loyal fanbase that keeps buying their products, compared to the hype following DayT crowd. They will be gone as soon as the next MoH COD BF gets released.

So damn true.

The 'Zombie' mood is kind of ephemeral in the gaming industry. Unless you have a solid background behind (e.g Resident Evil series), which in my judgement, with the last episodes, became serious crap.

Regards,

TB

I look at it a different way.

I think this DayZ game has opened up the eyes of the team, who may have thought there was no interest in the online play, when in fact is has just been their game design implementation that has been LACKLUSTER, and quite boring, or even very undocumentated and supported.. The attempts at campaigns shown a bit of new customers, but not given enough attention, too small of a team etc... The game can be amazing, just missing that touch of success that is needed, simplfying the interface, remove that bit of clunkiness and well I have been seeing the changes in the editor for VBS2 2.0, if that comes to Arma 3, should be in good shape for lots of built missions and combat scenes... Sometimes I think as a dev team needs to step back away from the focus on the REALISM. They have to say to themselves, "ya know this needs a tweak otherwise there's no point, as its just not FUN". CUz standing around having your gun go from your should to your pistol and back and forth, ain't very realistic... animations need to break.. and the interface needs some love ;D

I honestly don't think that it would change all that much. Yes, DayZ is bringing in more money to BI thanks to the increased game sales, but the communities of DayZ and ArmA 2 proper appear to be two very different communities. So I don't think that anything much would change if DayZ would go stand-alone.

I think this DayZ game has opened up the eyes of the team, who may have thought there was no interest in the online play

Yes yes, nobody played ArmA until DayZ came and saved it 11 years later. It's all because of that damn REALISM like infinite medkits and TAB-lock. But hey why stop at realizing that DayZ is real FUN? Why not make ArmA3 a Call of Duty? 1 mln? That will sell 10 mln!

I look at it a different way.

I think this DayZ game has opened up the eyes of the team, who may have thought there was no interest in the online play,

No poxy interest in playing online before DayZ? Bollocks I say! Hell I've even played with some BIS folk online.

If Dayz becomes standalone then attention to Dayz in the community will be like IF.

Once IF became standalone, after a bit all the newness of the game wore down and now you dont read or see so much on the forums.

Dayz i think will have the same thing happen, as it is already moving in that direction.

With Arma3 on the way and releasing at the end of the year, at least I think so, Arma3 will gain the most focus versus the other Arma's

as it is a serious upgrade from what we have all been used to playing.

Arma3 will be like a serious momentum in the community that will bring the majority of attention to it vs the hoorah around dayz.

DAyz and ACE would not lose their attention even if they remained a mod and not went to a standalone version, I think from here on their

will be requests once Arma3 is out to port or have DAyz in Arma3.

If Dayz became a standalone game using only the Arma2CO engine, then they would then at least to me be shorting themselves, instead of remaining as a mod,

where as a mod you can port it over to the new engine, and well I would assume a build of a full game vs a mod would be a bit more difficult cant say for sure

maybe someone can shed more light on this.

*ahem*

:rolleyes:

It's new? It seems that dayzgame.com can't handle it right now =)

Now let's speculate from which game BIS will detract people needed to make DayZ a standalone game.

With Carrier Command being just around the corner (meaning crunch-time) and with work on multiplayer to follow after its release - it won't be Carrier Command.

With the engine being RV it will require people that are good at working with it. And since Carrier Command team does not use it - it won't be Carrier Command.

Edited by metalcraze

Now let's speculate from which game BIS will detract people needed to make DayZ a standalone game.

With Carrier Command being just around the corner (meaning crunch-time) and with work on multiplayer to follow after its release - it won't be Carrier Command.

With the engine being RV it will require people that are good at working with it. And since Carrier Command team does not use it - it won't be Carrier Command.

Take on helicopters