Sign in to follow this  
aussnipe73

Tarin Kot, Oruzgan

Yes, they are it's not a 100% solution though so I wouldn't really recommend it to others

Cheers,

AusSnipe73

Downloading - So looking forward to it, thanks mate. :)

Edit: Tried it out now for a while, love the map, but it has a really high impact on performance - whilst most of the other custom maps run with around 50fps for me, this one's about 20fps - without any other units than a usmc infantryman.

Great work whatsoever :)

Edit²: Also, you can shoot through the 3d walkways.

Edited by LAxemann

Downloading - So looking forward to it, thanks mate. :)

Edit: Tried it out now for a while, love the map, but it has a really high impact on performance - whilst most of the other custom maps run with around 50fps for me, this one's about 20fps - without any other units than a usmc infantryman.

Great work whatsoever :)

Edit²: Also, you can shoot through the 3d walkways.

Cheers for the feedback, The performance seems tricky to get right especially with the green zone being such a dense area I'm working on better solutions than just cutting down trees and fields though.

Being able to shoot through the paths was a design choice, it's either that or the AI derping out every time they want to cross one

AusSnipe73

I tried out the map and it looks great accept for a few issues:

1) Seems like it is quite demanding on the hardware, and fps not that great as LAxemann stated. for ex, buildings fade in and out when flying over

2) The water canal keeps flickering in and out when flying over. Same with certain vegitation like crops, but I have seen that before in other maps so I guess its the bjects addon.

Other than that it is a great landscape with unique features!

Good job!

Awesome work mate! This is one of my Fav small maps, and the creeks are a huge improvement. Better not walk near them, the taliban have planted IED's on the main walking paths :icon_lol:

I've updated the main post with a known issues list and a list of feedback questions. I'd like to hear your thoughts on these to help me decide on issues for TK I'll be updating both these lists as new problems and questions come to mind. Thanks for all your feedback in advance it all makes a big difference to the end quality of TK.

AusSnipe73:)

Would you like to see more detail within compounds? If so what would you prefer to see a focus on gameplay, realism or performance (what would you rank them?)

They're fine if you ask me. More detail would mean less performance, the compounds themselves look very solid as they are right now and if a mission builder wants more detail, he can add it himself.

Do you like the new colour palatte? Do you think the vegetation colours should be adjusted to match?

The colour palette looks good, however especially the vegetation looks really bright/unnatural without any post processing effects like the Ambient: Color Module

What do you think of the current implementation of pathways? Would you like them to offer more cover with more small stone walls or terrain undulation?

I especially love the pathways, but since they don't provide cover from bullets because you can shoot through them, some stone walls would be welcome (not too many, though).

Would you like to be able to use the inside of the irrigation channels as a shooting position or as a way to move effectively safe from fire?

Yes.

Would you prefer the various fields to be denser for concealment or less dense for performance?

They're fine the way they are right now if you ask me. :)

Cheers!

The colour palette looks good, however especially the vegetation looks really bright/unnatural without any post processing effects like the Ambient: Color Module

Are you refering to the clutter here? since I've been thinking for a while that the trees and some bushes now look too dull for the new colours.

Would you like to be able to use the inside of the irrigation channels as a shooting position or as a way to move effectively safe from fire?

Yes. Ahh, I didn't phrase that question very well it's an either or type question, basically I can make it so it's possible too shoot out of the channels or not but you'll be pretty safe in there.

Cheers,

AusSnipe73

It's been quite a while since I've posted anything so to prove I'm still alive and busy:

PostBeta_16.jpg

Enjoy, :cool:

AusSnipe73

Well, I do like the new version...mostly. I saw some performance drop but I need to test to see if that's just my system. The only real issue I have with the new version is the replacement of the minaret/tower with the bunker. I'm sure you know what I mean. It just feels....wrong. I dunno. Maybe it's actually more accurate. It just seems like a bad place for a bunker...way too exposed. Perhaps it's just me but I see it as vulnerable to attack from multiple directions without the occupants having much time to respond. Just my two cents. Regardless, I do appreciate the effort you put into making this map. Thanks!

I think there has been some performance drop with v0.5 I'm not sure why but I think the pathways and the number of them (1000s) objects has stressed out object loading. This could also be happening with the irrigation channels, I was suprised since the rest of the green zone area is unchanged or improved in terms of performance. The centre of town probably has too many enterable buildings for a good FPS I'll just have to think on that. As for the roundabout the minaret was never meant to be there IRL there is a kind of small somewhat ornamental watchtower there. I put the minaret in to remind myself to model the watchtower but i haven't done it yet:p The bunker is a bit closer in terms of scale but it's not a very good defensive position anyway in the middle of a roundabout I agree I don't think anyone will last very long if stuck there. Anyway thanks for the feedback it's very much appreciated:D

In more general news I'll try and get back into friday screenshots soon.

Cheers,

AusSnipe73

Really, I do greatly appreciate all the hours of work it must have taken to create even this version of the map. So thank you!

Friday Saturday Screenshot time!

This week showcasing: You tell me;)

PostBeta_17.jpg

Enjoy,

AusSnipe73

I tried this map out and I thought it was really nice but the one thing that bothered me just a small bit is that there was not enough vegetation in some areas. Some areas tend to only have one no vegetation.

But all in all very nice map keep it up! ;)

Are you still working on this map?

Yes I am, I realise I've been very quiet for quite a while now and it has been a long time since the last release. However there will be an announcement about the future of TK within the next few weeks, I'll provide details then.

Cheers,

AusSnipe73

Just know that we are still eagerly waiting for this map. It has great potential.

I haven't had much time to work on TK for a while but here's something:

2013-02-24_00003_zpsaa0bbba5.jpg

Cheers,

AusSnipe73

Looking good, great project this terrain..

Edit: thought it was coming along too well, sneeky.;).

Edited by ChrisB

I haven't had much time to work on TK for a while but here's something:

I see what you did there. Nice!

Edit: thought it was coming along too well, sneeky.;).

Sneeky? It's there whatever it is

Oh hello there Arma 3 :)

It's times like this I wish I could award bonus points for observation :p