Sign in to follow this  
oo para oo

DayZ has ruined this franchise.

Of course not! Dayz fans are buying this product and supporting BIS like never before. When did you see ArmA CO at top 4 on Steam day after day week after week?

In my opinion, the only thing DayZ has done is brought out the hidden flaws in the Arma community. Never before in this community have I seen such a bunch of whining, self entitled jerks who can't stand the thought of someone playing a game differently than they do.

New players need their hands held. New players are going to require a bit more focus to fix this. Hell, even mission design could fix this problem with in-game tutorials that introduce a player to everything at least once before they're allowed to fly, etc. But bitching about it on an open forum is the last thing that will solve your problems.

DayZ has given the devs renewed focus to fix this game after 4-5 years. Nothing but good can come from that.

Haven't seen any of these DayZ players causing problems but more then enough Arma 2 Free players have causing havoc on the vanilla Arma servers.

Overall the majority are decent (Free and DayZ) but all it takes is 1 or 2 idiots and a round is ruined.

One source of the problem with people not knowing all the controls is because the majority are buying from Steam so they might not even know where the manual is

or that there even is one.

I know OP was perfect in every way the second he picked up ArmA the first time. He never was new to the game, or a 'noob' as they call it. He never ever crashed a chopper, he's elite.

:[ So you say DayZ _ruined_ ArmA because now there are many new players trying out our beloved game?

I can't even describe how stupid this point of view is. Please stop being stupid, willya?

We like to say that the ArmA community is mature, yet every once in a while somebody comes along and posts BS like this. Because someone is new and has to learn he is garbage and ruins our game? Yeah, very mature opinion about other people...

Again another child, who does not even read the thread. I do and have and will help people. However I took the time to learn the basics, I was asked today how do i go prone, and how do i start a helicopter.. Learn to read or be quiet you are contributing nothing, its like cod kids all over again, you mention anything bad about Dayz dummies and nappies get full.

Maybe I'm missing something but it doesn't seem to me like the OP is just saying "new players suck", he's saying that with the plethora of tutorials and SP missions available, as well as information on the forums and elsewhere, there is no reason for a new player to jump into a public game and start crashing helicopters over and over. I think the problem is some people coming from DayZ are trying to play the game like it's Battlefield 3 or something, and that simply doesn't work for ArmA 2. I mean, if I hopped into CoD or BF3 and started teamkilling everyone, spamming grenades everywhere, and taking a helicopter only to jump out and crash it over and over, wouldn't people get pissed? I certainly would.

Plenty of missions and tutorials exist where you can learn the basic mechanics of the game without ruining everyone else's fun on a public server.

Again, though, this is not really related to DayZ other than the fact that it's brought a lot of new players with no ArmA experience into the community.

Thank you, you get it if nobody else does. Not knowing how to even go prone but then getting in a helo and crashing everything, spoils the game for people who enjoy the basic domiantion format

these people do not care what you say in text to help, guide, no, they are having that heli no matter what.

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

Maybe I'm missing something but it doesn't seem to me like the OP is just saying "new players suck", he's saying that with the plethora of tutorials and SP missions available, as well as information on the forums and elsewhere, there is no reason for a new player to jump into a public game and start crashing helicopters over and over. I think the problem is some people coming from DayZ are trying to play the game like it's Battlefield 3 or something, and that simply doesn't work for ArmA 2. I mean, if I hopped into CoD or BF3 and started teamkilling everyone, spamming grenades everywhere, and taking a helicopter only to jump out and crash it over and over, wouldn't people get pissed? I certainly would.

Plenty of missions and tutorials exist where you can learn the basic mechanics of the game without ruining everyone else's fun on a public server.

Again, though, this is not really related to DayZ other than the fact that it's brought a lot of new players with no ArmA experience into the community.

Thank you, you get it if nobody else does. Not knowing how to even go prone but then getting in a helo and crashing everything, spoils the game for people who enjoy the basic domiantion format

these people do not care what you say in text to help, guide, no, they are having that heli no matter what.

I will say that I disagree that the franchise has been ruined by DayZ, though. But I agree with what I outlined in my post.

As for "elitist, entitled ArmA 2 players"...sure, there are some of those. There are players like that in every game, perhaps moreso in ArmA 2 because of the milsim aspect of it. However, I also see a lot of people who misinterpret anything bad anyone says about DayZ as being "elitist ArmA 2 a$$holes", which is equally stupid to do. There are elitists on both sides, and then there are people who think anything bad spoken about either side is cause to name-call others "elitists" and "entitled". Those people are no better.

And then there are people like me who have played both, and are sick of the annoying attitudes all around. :cool:

Of course not! Dayz fans are buying this product and supporting BIS like never before. When did you see ArmA CO at top 4 on Steam day after day week after week?

well, hypes/spikes in Arma2 sales happen before too.

and no, hardly that valid point/input for [reasonably]long-term strategy.

let me explain on example:

1. you are McDonald's cafeteria manager.

2. you suddenly discover, that you recently noticed that biz/sales goes notably up. "Whoa !! I did it RIGHT !" you scream and start investigating new-coming customers quite enthusiastically.

3. then you discover that most new customers, whose "buying this product and supporting" © are runaways, mobster, drug addicts/junkes, vagrants, anti-social jerks and etc and etc.

money don't smell, sure.

but getting them sometimes had smelling consequences, sadly.

Haha when I bought Arma 2 I didn't even go in multiplayer almost for a year because I afraid that I could ruin others game. I played tutorials several times, SP campaign and scenarios to know controls. When I was sure i won't do anything stupid I got balls to enter in some domination servers and i never get in vehicles without asking permission and because I'm not good pilot.

I can understand if they ask like how to teleport, where's ammobox etc. but crashing helicopters and taking vehicles without permission just shows how dam stupid some people are. BIS should add feature that you can't get in MP if you haven't go through some tutorials :P

Have been running a public server for the past 8 months, iam on the server daily. And an OFP player from demo times.

I am very shocked at the new school way of buying a game and 5 minutes later going into a server to play it without even 1 minute offline to even try the controls out. When in battle and allready very occupied with the current mission status and group under command and under fire, to have someone keep asking how to a shoot, drive, walk, fly ect, just shows a very lazy modern gammer (MAN I MUST BE GETTING OLD).

Yes we were once new to the game, and we once practiced first...

Have fun!

Dan

I am very shocked at the new school way of buying a game and 5 minutes later going into a server to play it without even 1 minute offline to even try the controls out.

You shouldn't be shocked. All these new players are CoDBlOPers and BFoons. :) They have been taught the controls already from their xBox shooters and horrible PC ports of the same games. All shooters are the same and all are easy enough for someone's 5 year old brother to play, and win. There's no need to "learn" since nothing has changed with those games for a decade.

Now of course ArmA2 isn't at all the same as CoD and BF, but these new players don't know that and for the most part can't even comprehend why it's not. Of course you can just buy the latest shooter and start playing right away. They've been buying the same game every November for 9 years, how could ArmA be any different? :)

Ya I know theres a manual for the Steam version but not everyone knows where to look or notices it's there.

Maybe someone with a server thats sitting unused can set it up as a training server and advertise it on the DayZ forum for those interested in trying the actual game besides DayZ.

Bleah. DayZ hasn't ruined anything. I remember reading all about how Domination has ruined ArmA because that's all there was to see on the server browser and how Domination players know nothing about teamwork.... sound familiar? :)

Bleah. DayZ hasn't ruined anything. I remember reading all about how Domination has ruined ArmA because that's all there was to see on the server browser and how Domination players know nothing about teamwork.... sound familiar? :)

Yes.