Sign in to follow this  
oo para oo

DayZ has ruined this franchise.

Our server is now full of people who don't even know how to start helos, select nades, people who take helos and crash them at base, people who tk then leave.

Honestly I am sure Dayz has helped Bohimia with sales but the core game is suffering, I for one am thinking of passwording the server I am getting fed up of it.

Domination? I have to type the same bloody thing over and over again. These kids have not done 1 tutorial of the main game, yet they come in to servers

expecting us hold their hand 24/7 they HAVE NO IDEA what domination even is.

Fed up of it. Thoughts?

Our server is now full of people who don't even know how to start helos, select nades, people who take helos and crash them at base, people who tk then leave.

Honestly I am sure Dayz has helped Bohimia with sales but the core game is suffering, I for one am thinking of passwording the server I am getting fed up of it.

Domination? I have to type the same bloody thing over and over again. These kids have not done 1 tutorial of the main game, yet they come in to servers

Fed up of it. Thoughts?

DayZ has brought in new players to the franchise, but it has in no way ruined it. If you don't want to teach beginners how to play the game, you're probably better off locking the server.

Yeah, thoughts.

Domination sucks without an established squad and usually anyways. Public vanilla MP pick-up games have always sucked. Go join Tactical Gamer, United Operations or play Project Reality or something. Never seen any of these mythical Day Z newbs in any game run by a community.

What I have seen because of Day Z is a little thing called PATCH 1.62

Truth be told DayZ community won't cross into ArmA2 as the general consensus there is that ArmA2 was shit that nobody wanted to play and then DayZ saved it by making it something worth playing.

Maximum that DayZ players do is post that bs above in youtube and ArmA3 preview comments which is of course annoying but apart from that ArmA should be "safe".

Public gaming was always awful in this game since it stopped being OFP and started being ArmA - that's nothing new.

Mod support have always been a huge part of the ArmA series. DayZ is no different. Also it has given us new players.

DayZ has brought in new players to the franchise, but it has in no way ruined it. If you don't want to teach beginners how to play the game, you're probably better off locking the server.

Its not I don't want to teach, I have over and over and over, fed up of it, there are tutorials these people dont even do those. How many times have I see people take the chinook and fly straight into Ao then get shot down// spawn and do it with other helos.... sick of it.

Being an admin on open server has always been like that.

One does not always have the patience for tutoring newcomers of course but we've all been there for sure, pondering abour right controls and methods.

Passworded server is an option.

DayZ cannot ruin this franchise but I'm sure being unfriendly for new players is a way to ruin one in the long run.

How many times have I see people take the chinook and fly straight into Ao then get shot down// spawn and do it with other helos.... sick of it.

Sounds like every pre-Day Z game of domination I ever dropped into. Doesn't that mission have pilot restrictions for this reason anyways?

I've seen major announced features cut from ArmA3 and it's release delayed till 2013 due to "lack of resources" and yet at the same time rumors that we'll get a stand alone DayZ game by Christmas. Who knows...

Rumors yeah, and a Dean Hall who thinks about making it a standalone game but not sure on what engine.

That said, what on earth makes you think that the delay of A3 has something to do with these rumors? And when BI said that they will take part in developing a standalone DayZ? Were they involved in IF44 development? No.

i personally think that dayz has given new life to this game what i am really dissappointed about are the so called real arma players who think they are better than these newcomers some of which have also discovered the milsim aspect to it.it wouldnt surprise me if this thread gets locked.

To the OP.

Arma 3 will bring in hords of new players, to also fumble around our MP servers, non issue.

Sounds like more of the old to me, I recall hearing people talking about this thing for years now and the solution was always to look for clans and or private servers.

Should someone ask a simple question online, you shouldn't hesitate to guide them. Yes I know it can be annoying having to tell someone something that a tutorial tells you, but you risk bringing out their negativity if you tread on them rather than assist, we've all been there.

Edited by NodUnit

Eh - if someone has no patience to even open the manual and check out standard keybindings - he will have no patience for a teamwork either.

But again this isn't DayZ-player issue, but a general public player issue.

You die several times a minute in any normal shooter, but only once every half hour in Day Z. Games in ArmA can fall on either side of that.

The difference is how much effort-free gratification on a low learning curve you can get inbetween all the deaths. Still not sure what this has to do with Day Z, which is a more hardcore and unforgiving game than ArmA at times.

Its more about the attitude/education of some players who just can't or dont like to play a game with/against others on public servers. It's was and will be tenfold easier to find people just for a fun run'n'gun public match than for an fun tactical public match. Imo DayZ standalone game could sell much better if Rocket would make it more like a Stalker game.... of course that would delay the release just a little bit more. :)

DayZ has done nothing but good for the community I play with. Although it doesn't tick all my boxes (I just don't get the zombie thing) it has brought some good guys to out website. We have had to teach a few how to set up Arma and the such but it has been worth it. Off the back of this we have had chance to run some pretty good mission nights with more people than we would if it wasn't for the mod bringing new players in.

Now ok I have complained at the lack of numbers recently, more so with the PR mod as I love a good bit of large scale PvP but if we as a community don't tolerate some of the idiots and shut everyone out we wont have chance to show them the beauty of Arma.

To OP

Every new player could end up as an active part of this community. Just remember that we weren't that different when we began playing OFP or ARMA.

Give them a helping hand, forward them to turtorials on YT, show them that ARMA is more than DayZ.

BTW Public Servers always sucked.

Truth be told DayZ community won't cross into ArmA2 as the general consensus there is that ArmA2 was shit that nobody wanted to play and then DayZ saved it by making it something worth playing.

Yeah, that is what I keep seeing. I'm not sure where all of these "new ArmA 2 players" that people keep mentioning are, as I haven't seen them. DayZ people tend to stick to DayZ and then rip on ArmA 2 engine/gameplay/whatever if there's a bug. :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with DayZ IMO, and I'm glad that bugs that have been around for months if not years are finally being addressed in large part due to the success of DayZ, but the attitude that ArmA 2 is shit and was never a good game until DayZ that a lot of DayZ players seem to have is just infuriating.

However, I also agree that idiots on pubs aren't necessarily due to DayZ, as that has been around for quite awhile. I rarely, if ever play on pubs so it's not an issue for me.

Its not about these 'real' arma players its about lazy people who expect us to hep them with EVERYTHING including the VERY VERY basics. They dont the tutorials, and dont learn any of the basics.

I have helped many many people, its just getting tiring, when the dayz lot come in and expect 101% baby sitting.

I know OP was perfect in every way the second he picked up ArmA the first time. He never was new to the game, or a 'noob' as they call it. He never ever crashed a chopper, he's elite.

:[ So you say DayZ _ruined_ ArmA because now there are many new players trying out our beloved game?

I can't even describe how stupid this point of view is. Please stop being stupid, willya?

We like to say that the ArmA community is mature, yet every once in a while somebody comes along and posts BS like this. Because someone is new and has to learn he is garbage and ruins our game? Yeah, very mature opinion about other people...

I know OP was perfect in every way the second he picked up ArmA the first time. He never was new to the game, or a 'noob' as they call it. He never ever crashed a chopper, he's elite.

:[ So you say DayZ _ruined_ ArmA because now there are many new players trying out our beloved game?

I can't even describe how stupid this point of view is. Please stop being stupid, willya?

We like to say that the ArmA community is mature, yet every once in a while somebody comes along and posts BS like this. Because someone is new and has to learn he is garbage and ruins our game? Yeah, very mature opinion about other people...

Apparently you completely missed the OP's point.

no. its because notable amount of DayZ-attracted "players" simply as arrogant as they behave somethimes[frequently, in fact].

basically Rockstar games "consumers" and BIS consumers can't properly mix. and cannot peacefuly co-exist, sadly, in present time :(

maybe better would be to separate products/promotion/sales/server browsers, instead of release it as mod ?

my best guess/answer on "what should help?" question is introduction by BIS[or some modders]some kind of automated/tweaked/intelligent behavior filtering/detecting/responding ingame, just like how it existed in some other wargames, for example, players, exceed tk amount/rate will kicked/banned[not always temporally]automatically, players sytematically do other wrong things[tweakable and customizable in most games]share same fate upon server admins-made config/tweaks/rules.

so, in result it would have effect even in admin absence or lazyness.

Fed up of it. Thoughts?

Newbies who don´t know how to play the game, terrifying.

Seriously, I had no clue wtf I was doing back in 2001 when I got OFP, and it took me a long, long time to figure out how to work the game properly. That was before we had internet even.

I welcome the new people. Those who aren´t up to the game will gradually get bored, and a new generation of dedicated players will join the community. Stop combing everyone over the same brush.

And if you´re really that upset, lock the server and put a password somewhere where your regulars can find it. Those who are dedicated to your platform will seek out the access codes, so to speak. Make people work a little, if they can´t be bothered to put in the time to do the basics. That said, one problem is that some tutorials are still broken to the point of being unplayable. So, people are learning by doing, and to get good at the game, again, it takes time.

Help the noobs, be nice, and ignore the asshats instead of baiting them. Try to be mature about it, too. Most of the time when I see "old timers" "talk" to noobs, they stoop down to the same level as the cowadoody forumites. ie, lots of namecalling and bashing. I had hoped this community was above that, but apparently, that is not so.

So far these forums have been without that kind of anger, and I´d rather have it stay that way. My two cents on that.

Also DayZ is a great mmo roguelike and a great mod overall. Just not my kind of thing.

Maybe I'm missing something but it doesn't seem to me like the OP is just saying "new players suck", he's saying that with the plethora of tutorials and SP missions available, as well as information on the forums and elsewhere, there is no reason for a new player to jump into a public game and start crashing helicopters over and over. I think the problem is some people coming from DayZ are trying to play the game like it's Battlefield 3 or something, and that simply doesn't work for ArmA 2. I mean, if I hopped into CoD or BF3 and started teamkilling everyone, spamming grenades everywhere, and taking a helicopter only to jump out and crash it over and over, wouldn't people get pissed? I certainly would.

Plenty of missions and tutorials exist where you can learn the basic mechanics of the game without ruining everyone else's fun on a public server.

Again, though, this is not really related to DayZ other than the fact that it's brought a lot of new players with no ArmA experience into the community.