Sign in to follow this  
orcinus

Valve declares WIndows 8 "a catastrophe for PC", talks about migrating games to Linux

Install programs with command prompts in Linux? Very unusual these days, haven't actually done it for 18 months, getting lazy and slowly abandoning the terminal. It's not necessary either in synaptic package manger or the software centre? Completely outdated view......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Software_Center

350px-Software_Center_11.10.png

Hundreds of items of free software, comparable or better to windows versions and you just point and click to install!

its funny, but on Win8, Arma2 perform WONDERFUL, compared to Vista/Win7 - more smooth, responsive, also dithering fixed/improved - wook look like wood again and rest things was back to order.

after update to finally-supporting Win8 drivers[12.8]of GPU.

cool.

would buy that thing, obviously.

wonder what WDDM 2.x support cookies can bring too.

LMAO Linux plus Steam!

Together.

Could computers actually become any less user friendly?

It's hard to imagine how.

more likely "Shurttleworth and Gabe", rather than "Linus and Steam"

It baffles me why people would call windows user friendly. I've never experienced the so called "just works" and plug and play experience with windows for as long as I have had to use it. I'd have a hard time coming up with a linux distribution that is more user unfriendly as Windows has been to me.

If it wasn't for an out of the box working linux I would have been unable to install windows on my last 3 pc's (let alone the dozens of other pc I have built or had to maintain for others). These were all run of the mill industry standard components by major hardware manufacturers, which I purposefully chose in the hope they would "just work" with windows. Instead of just working I had to jump through hoops like creating my own modified installation media and issuing commands from the commandline, up to using virtual machines to hack together a system just to get windows installed and running (not talking stable here just running). Which to me suggests it's almost impossible to install windows on a clean pc.

NB I only start building a new pc when my old one is gone, so most of the time I really had to start from scratch and could not use a second pc to fix windows installation problems for me.

I've tried to like Windows, god knows I've wasted inumerably more time getting ms-windows pc's to "just work" than I've had to do with linux-based ones. I'd never recommend using windows for any serious work, it seems to disintegrate as soon as it is installed and if you tax your system a little bit it tends to completely destroy itself beyond repair. Like a fresh installed Windows 7 did on me a while back when I ran out of RAM while working on my Arma-terrain.

The only reason I keep a windows os around is to play BIStudio games and to run occassional windows only hardware/program. However just having to even start windows means that more often than not I'd rather not play the game.

So, to me, windows being a catastrophe for pc is same old same old, but having my favorite games run natively in Linux would certainly be nice.

I'd have a hard time coming up with a linux distribution that is more user unfriendly as Windows has been to me.

Are you on drugs?

Are you on drugs?

No. You? Have you even read my post? I said that on my last 3 personal use pc's it was impossible to install windows from the cd. Unless your point is that the most user friendly experience is having no OS running whatsoever.

So far I've gotten every Linux distro I've tried running reliably and I see myself as a linux newby. Having to create my own install media just to install windows is NOT user friendly. Btw have you ever tried fixing an error in windows?

All I see is an attempt to dominate the console sales market and further extinguish the need for physical copies and a larger control region for steam...honestly not sure if want though who knows, it might cause the XBLA to change a few things in order to compete, still, optional is preference.

It's also a bit amusing to see things like this and (drat, caught before fixed again) hear people saying "PC gaming is dieing!" while consoles try more and more to resemble pc's.

The new typing method is....interesting but if it's for browsing then why deviate from the established alphabetic system.. It works well enough since you can see the letters at all times and is layed out, so you quickly understand where to look and the number of spaces, it's similar to the technique grown over time when using a cell phone, especially one without a keyboard.

Edited by NodUnit

I see reddit there. Wonder if they know gabengw :D

I'll look forward to that. Just have to figure out how I can play with keyboard and mouse without a desk. :confused:

It's also a bit amusing to see things like this nad hear people saying "PC gaming is dieing!" while consoles try more and more to resemble pc's.

This is a good thing, while extreme simulation will still exist on the PC, overall quality and (technological) complexity should increase in future games, seeing as the derpbox will sport Win 8 and possibly hardware equal in performance to current PC mid-spec generation.

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

And even with all of that they will most likely just work on the next Madden or tight arena game with better graphics. Mind you I'm not TOO biased against consoles, I just think that they are a bit too watered down with shooters and worse, sports games (just look all! http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/genre/date/sports/xbox360?view=detailed ) The tech increases sure but the question is does the variety follow suit with the new features or are they simply the next lazing attribute that will be coming to all of these "revolutionary" digital devices in future.

Honestly after this years E3 I'm not all that impressed with most of the new tech, not when the focus of the boards seems to be multi device integration with less need to use the remote. I'm hoping that this was just a thumb up the ass attempt to show off for some inexplicable reason and that more budget will be put towards games rather than this digital integration nonsense.

Edited by NodUnit

This year's E3 was depressing, because we're at the end of the current derpsole cycle, and everything needs to be tailored to the hardware limitations.

Can't stop PC from having this, though,

MnkxcJIpqlg

Our answer to Gran Turismo, which I adore, having played the first and second one ten years ago. PCars is running on NFS: Shift engine AFAIK.

I see reddit there. Wonder if they know gabengw :D

I'll look forward to that. Just have to figure out how I can play with keyboard and mouse without a desk. :confused:

Lawn chair and table tray, you can of course set it on the floor with the mouse upon a book but it will feel amazingly awkward.

This year's E3 was depressing, because we're at the end of the current derpsole cycle, and everything needs to be tailored to the hardware limitations.

Can't stop PC from having this, though,

Our answer to Gran Turismo, which I adore, having played the first and second one ten years ago. PCars is running on NFS: Shift engine AFAIK.

Well if some of that is actual gameplay and not pre-rendered cutscenes then it sure has my interest based on the motion of the cars, weather and cabin detailing! Nevermind a HUD to display my speed, I want to see a moving gauge and even better if it lights up at night.

My issue with consoles is (aside from the integration nonsense) that regardless of what advances in tech they get, that big name developers will still stick to the most basic they can outside of a rare few, that to them better hardware just means better visuals rather than expansions on gameplay , and worse than that is the possibility that third party compatibility will be the same for most, and worse yet that prices could rise even HIGHER due to an attempt to be push into the whole entertainment industry rather than remain it's own, invest in it's own and evolve in it's own.

Edited by NodUnit

Well if some of that is actual gameplay and not pre-rendered cutscenes then it sure has my interest based on the motion of the cars, weather and cabin detailing! Nevermind a HUD to display my speed, I want to see a moving gauge and even better if it lights up at night.

Everything is real time, it's a much better rFactor. The developers are working on physics at the moment, you can download the alpha/beta, if you look for it,

XIh-zs_6vxA

-JB13KZFf9c

My issue with consoles is (aside from the integration nonsense) that regardless of what advances in tech they get, that big name developers will still stick to the most basic they can outside of a rare few, that to them better hardware just means better visuals rather than expansions on gameplay.

Once the new hardware is out, and someone comes up with a game like Skyrim, or even more vast, all the the attention will shift to that title, and people will marvel and demand improvements in others - big studios shouldn't have a problem, since they can reuse the assets from an enormous database of games. Here's a better perspective, http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/genre/metascore/action/all?view=detailed

There we go,

MS: “Xbox is becoming THE Microsoft brand for entertainmentâ€

http://beefjack.com/news/ms-xbox-is-becoming-the-microsoft-brand-for-entertainment/

News: From now on, all Microsoft entertainment and gaming experiences will carry the Xbox branding even on Windows, says senior director Leonardo Metelli, who has also been talking about how entertainment rather than gaming is now the major growth area on Xbox Live, and how Kinect will drive whole new types of advertising on their home console – including the slightly creepy “Two-Way TVâ€.

Xbox-LIVE-TV-and-Entertaiment-Schedule-Header.jpg

Derp interface? Looks like a proto-Windows 8 alright. ; )

---------- Post added at 04:21 ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 ----------

The following is an old article, but still:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_blog/archive/2012/05/29/xbox-beyond-the-box.aspx

To date, our success with Xbox has been led by a box in the living room. Moving forward, Xbox will go beyond the box to reach all new families of devices. Just as Xbox has grown to mean more than just games, it also is more than just a console. This year, Xbox becomes the premium entertainment service for Microsoft. Whether on your PC, tablet, TV or phone, Xbox will be a gateway to the best in music and video, your favorite games and instant access to your friends. With the launch of Windows 8, we’ll bring Xbox entertainment to everyone. With Xbox on Windows 8 devices, we rapidly accelerate the reach of Xbox entertainment from more than 60 million people to hundreds of millions of people worldwide.

We understand that entertainment has become a multi-screen experience where you and your friends are watching TV, listening to music, and playing games while interacting with your tablets and phones in new ways. We’ve got ideas for making all the entertainment you love more personal, interactive and social across the devices you love—and on the phenomenal Windows 8 devices that are to come.

Ho-Ho-Ho.

Windows 8 comes out, XBOX 720 comes out with Windows 8, Steam banned from being installed on XBOX 720. Profit. Or not. Either way there will be some cunning restrictions or policy regarding Steam. th_troll_face.gif

---------- Post added at 04:37 ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 ----------

P.S. NodUnit, here's a decent Project C.A.R.S. thread with screenshots, http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1671323&highlight=project

Glorious PC Master Race. pc_master_race_normal.PNG

Figure this: Gaming console ( and PC gaming platform ) powered by free open source OS ( read linux ) with Steam platform on it, and games which will become cheaper because expences are cut majorly by savings here. I wish...

No I do not own Xbox or any other console after PS1, it all went poo...PC only

Erm...you started talking here about Valve and all you keep talking about is Win8 and how awesome Xbox 720 will be? Wut?

Erm...you started talking here about Valve and all you keep talking about is Win8 and how awesome Xbox 720 will be? Wut?

XBOX 720 and PC being linked via Windows 8 with entertainment content being provided via XBOXLive should cut into Valve's Steam profits, noe? :(

I konfused. :(

---------- Post added at 13:29 ---------- Previous post was at 13:27 ----------

Figure this: Gaming console ( and PC gaming platform ) powered by free open source OS ( read linux ) with Steam platform on it, and games which will become cheaper because expences are cut majorly by savings here. I wish...

Awaiting patiently.

Regards,

c83dbeb6ec4c97091eec5d791fd64d93_48.png

On second thought,

Steam platform on it

Do not want.

Then enjoy your 720 or 1440 or nnnnn and let us worry about Steam. Bad guys here trying to present less bad guys as utter bad guys. Pfft, Ill skip that.

Iroquois, you may be disappointed to read this about C.A.R.S.

PROJECT CARS is due for release on the following platforms...Wii U, PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360

Iroquois, you may be disappointed to read this about C.A.R.S.

Not really, and it would be a toned-down version most likely. I may be a zealot of the Glorious PC Master Race, though I'm not a fanatic. :)

Let them eat cake, if they can afford (to run) it.

---------- Post added at 00:57 ---------- Previous post was at 00:56 ----------

Then enjoy your 720 or 1440 or nnnnn and let us worry about Steam.

Uh? I'm not advocating for either side, both solutions are ultra derp. I'm here to bring you the news, and to help you understand why Valve may be unhappy with M$. :)

Fair enough. IN the end we will all be unhappy, and Valve sure will, but Im sure they will find a way out of it. Lastly I dont plan switching to Win8 or at least not anytime soon, so there is still time and hope. Consoles? Cant care less, I'm not using them since PS1.

Lastly I dont plan switching to Win8 or at least not anytime soon, so there is still time and hope. Consoles? Cant care less, I'm not using them since PS1.

I wouldn't be so sure, imagine a situation where (decent) games are being developed for the new XBOX 720, but a prerequisite for playing them on the PC is Win 8 itself. Eh. :)

Sure, you could go with PC exclusives, though I'm not certain that we'll be seeing many anytime soon.

Microsoft is releasing a lot of things soon: Windows RT, Windows 8, XBOX 720, Windows Phone, the Surface tablet. Don't get eaten by aggressive bulls. :)

If that's the case, Ill buy a season ticket for basketball and start living healthier life ;)

They can all go to hell along with their profits.

cheers

Then enjoy your 720 or 1440 or nnnnn and let us worry about Steam. Bad guys here trying to present less bad guys as utter bad guys. Pfft, Ill skip that.

User accusing other of generalising is generalising.

it would be good if games migrated to Linux, cause Windows 8 looks like tablet o.s. not PC system

i still use XP cause it is the best system for me (even file search is there much better, my mom has laptop with 7, searching files here is not good for me, my girl has laptop with Vista, not good for me too)

the only reason to change o.s. would be Arma3, but migrating of game developers to more classic o.s. would be better for many of us (saving lot of money + saving CPU use by system)

my mother's Win7 has loooooots of runing proceses, half of it's i3 cpu power and memory is eaten by system itself, bleeeh

much better would be DX11 for WinXP ;)