Sign in to follow this  
lawndartleo

Helo insertion

I know I am going to get scalded for asking this but my searching is not producing results....

After a long absence, I have started fiddling again. Sadly, by my own bumbling actions I lost all my editing tips and tricks so I cannot for the life of me find the methodology used to have helo insertion/extraction not land and kill the engine. I remember having the helo hover a few feet off the ground on all insertions and extractions but cant remember how I did it. ALL the tutorials on Youtube are useless because they all show land and engine kill... which I don't want.

This is really embarrassing because I was the one who cobbled together the much of the helo transport script of Drapers 1.2 air support scripts. I have that stuff yet but cant get my head around what I did to make it work.

So, please forgive... and just point in the right direction toward a thread or video. No instruction expected or needed here.

Edited by lawndartleo

Unscripted, transport unload WP does this. Scripted, land "GETOUT" or land "GETIN" Former should hover a bit higher than the latter.

I recall that I could do it in the editor using two waypoints stacked right by a helopad.

The normal method for insertion uses a transport unload waypoint, preferably with a small delay, 3-5 seconds ought to be enough. For reliable extractions one should use two waypoints and an AI controlled unit leaving the extraction bird, then getting on after the entire player unit is on board. To have the helicopter hover a few feet above the ground rather than touching down one should not use the invisible H object. AI piloted choppers will always touch down on helipad objects, but with a transport unload waypoint without such an object they will hover close to the ground.

Extraction demo mission

Regard,

Sander