Sign in to follow this  
soldierkid

How close is ArmA 3 to real military action?

I dunno man - if the "vanilla" word isn't much of a hint then I don't know what is

Well, for me vanilla means "without addons"...

Well, for me vanilla means "without addons"...

We were talking about that one vanilla that has no zeroing and AI following move orders by throwing everything away, no? Since both are there in mod-less OA.

Anyway let's not get this derailed by arguing semantics.

There's weapon zeroing in OA and I have never had the AI throw away their gear unless they're downing in the ocean. I have no idea what you are talking about, metalcraze.

edit: I read that to mean that both problems were also in OA the first time. It seems unclear what you meant.

Too much realism would be bad for gameplay imo. It's still a game and not a military training tool so it should be focused on fun, atmosphere and authenticity imo. It would be interesting if there was a "super realism" mode included though. One that would simulate real-life combat without any HUD and other aids, deadly wounds, crushing difficulty, voice commands, complex vehicle control and such.

This game was builded on a training tool.

The better question is, is ARMA the most realistic video game?

Yes

A good server with good players blows any other game out of the water.

BTW why exactly is realism and fun mutually exclusive?

If anything realism adds layers of complexity that make the challenge presented by the game much "deeper" and not just fragging pixels on the screen for 30 minutes before taking a break for a day or throwing a game away until its 1:1 sequel comes out next November. Is playing a game for 5 hours and forgetting it forever equals "fun"?

Surely it takes more effort to deal with but that's how this game was since OFP which made Ghost Recon cry and make way.

This game was builded on a training tool.

Arma series are games, VBS series are training tools.

Having been in the British Army as a Royal Signaller myself I can assure you it is nothing like it at all. But then again, its the closest I've ever seen in a video game. :)