Sign in to follow this  
tvig0r0us

Urban Conquest by tvig0r0us

First, I am quickly becoming a big fan of v1.04.

Second, when I load v1.05, I cannot move. Neither my mouse nor my keyboard does anything. But v1.04 works fine. :)

You have to select a soldier type and spawn point. See the vid in the op.

Cheers

You have to select a soldier type and spawn point. See the vid in the op.

Cheers

You know, that thought occurred to me after I made my comments. I would highly suggest adding an on-screen instruction for this. At a minimum I would use the hint command to instruct the player on what to do. My first inclination was a script got hung up and the mission was broken!

After playing a few rounds with AI only last night, I think that this is the sort of mission that Arma games need to ship with. Instant action, no fuss, and a heck of a battle, but still more interesting than a thrown together DM or TDM that has no built-in way to pick a load out or add respawning vehicles. I think more players, especially those who prefer PvP, would have stuck with Arma if the out-of-the-box missions were more like this.

Great job!

You know, that thought occurred to me after I made my comments. I would highly suggest adding an on-screen instruction for this. At a minimum I would use the hint command to instruct the player on what to do. My first inclination was a script got hung up and the mission was broken!

After playing a few rounds with AI only last night, I think that this is the sort of mission that Arma games need to ship with. Instant action, no fuss, and a heck of a battle, but still more interesting than a thrown together DM or TDM that has no built-in way to pick a load out or add respawning vehicles. I think more players, especially those who prefer PvP, would have stuck with Arma if the out-of-the-box missions were more like this.

Great job!

Some kind of on screen instructions has crossed my mind many times as I was afraid something like this would happen. I am going to implement something as I can easily see how uncertainty will arise for people unfamiliar with the spawning system. Thank you for the remarks about the mission. I agree with your points. That in large part was the driving factor behind the creation of Urban Conquest, an easy, no fuss, high intensity battle with all of the perks of this fantastic game.

Cheers :D

Hey tvig0r0us,

After being a BI fan since the days of the original OF, finally created a forum account for the sole purpose of letting you know how annoyed I am with you. Because of you and your Urban Conquest missions, not only have I a rented a dedicated server.. I even went out and bought two more copies of combined ops for friends... You jerk, costing me all that money.. ;p Keep up the great work.

Hey tvig0r0us,

After being a BI fan since the days of the original OF, finally created a forum account for the sole purpose of letting you know how annoyed I am with you. Because of you and your Urban Conquest missions, not only have I a rented a dedicated server.. I even went out and bought two more copies of combined ops for friends... You jerk, costing me all that money.. ;p Keep up the great work.

Ha ha.... He has a long history of pissing my wife off. I spent a good two years addicted to SquadLevelTactics for DragonRising. Which only kept me from loving arma, you jerk! Glad to see he's still pissing people off. Kinda scary considering that he's really just getting started with arma. :0

Edited by PlacidPaul

Lol. Keep the hate messages coming... I love it ;) Great to hear from you PlacidPaul! Hope all is well.

I'll be posting another test version tonight to keep you guys going crazy!

Any updates? I've been running your maps in a private server with some friends and it is great fun. Tonight we're planning on some more and going to try the South Airfield Takistan updated map. The only changes I've made were to change vehicles available. Got rid of the F35, replaced with the AV8B (not LGB). Added in some more helicopter variety for all sides (ka-60, MI-8, AH-6J, MH-60, MI-17). Added in more competitive armor for all sides as well Dingo, T90, T72 for independents, etc. Also eliminated shotgun troops because it is no fun to spawn with a shotgun!

I was about to post a new test version of south airfield when at the last second I decided that I needed to recode about 80%of the ai scripts and turn them into fsm's. It's going to be a while now till the next update. Sorry. It will be worth the wait though.

Cheers

Great work on this mission. Just played on Utes with some friends and really enjoyed it. Question though - do the ai eventually group up with one another or do they all stay "groups of one" for the entire game? Good look with your fsm writing.

The FSM recode will be great .... I've seen Zonekiller writing them and although they look more complicated they are pretty easy to understand once you get your head around them. Keep up the goof work mate.

Great work on this mission. Just played on Utes with some friends and really enjoyed it. Question though - do the ai eventually group up with one another or do they all stay "groups of one" for the entire game? Good look with your fsm writing.

The ai form groups with nearby stragglers. The entire grouping system is the most complex part of the code tbh. Vehicles and players have thier own groups and there is constant group creation/deletion keeping thing flowing throughout the mission. Thansk for playing and I'll be trying to get a test version out asap.

Thanks for quick reply! I look forward to the next versions!

The FSM recode will be great .... I've seen Zonekiller writing them and although they look more complicated they are pretty easy to understand once you get your head around them. Keep up the goof work mate.

I still don't fully understand how the engine prioritizes the sqf in relation to the sfm's, but I can tell you this, the ai are much more responsive in battle when there are less sqf loops going. I've already converted 90% of the scripts intended for fsm and it's amazing how much more efficient and deadly the ai seem to have become. I'm positive that when this conversion is completed, the missions will rise to the next level for competitive play with both ai and human opponents.

A big thanks to all of you for your continued interest in Urban Conquest... it's driving me to make it better than ever and I'm certain it won't disappoint!

You can set it up on a local mp host and play alone. There is no actual single player.

Cheers

Good news!! All of the scripts I intend to convert to fsm for this release have been converted. I wrestled a bit with how to break my scripts down and found in the end that using the fsm as a general timing control mechanism with a majority of the script intact was the best way for me to go. This has raised the framerate on my server by roughly 10 fps which is an amazing improvement. The AI seem much more reactive to me as I believe the scheduling is better with the scripted fsm allowing the ai to get their fair share of the processor... at least that's my theory. You might also noticed that the parameters have changed a bit as well. You can now select the balance of light and heavy ground vehicles and I ordered the options so they make a bit more sense. Anyhow, I wanted to share this prerelease version to see if others could see any improvement on their rigs. I also added some fit and finish items just to give it a more polished feel. Should there be no issues I'll begin to port this version out to all of the locations and maps.

Check out Urban Conquest South Airfield Takistan rc2 here>>> http://www.mediafire.com/?60fcg448615klm0

Cheers!! :D

Having a blast with the latest version, haven't noticed any bugs yet. Will say it does seem to be running smoother now on my server.

Thans for giving it a good workout Uafasach. I'm really happy to hear that it's running well for you. I have ported over to a smaller version of zargabad an thus far have been pleased with the results. It might take a bit to get it to all of the maps I want, but I have to say I'm pleased with this implementation of the code and barring any major problems I plan to release this code. Thanks again for checking it out.

im liking this alot for times when i have less than an hour to play and want some quick instant action!

Really appreciate the way you added all the different DLC factions as a param choice...suits me perfect when im in the mood for some BAF.

...will be waiting for the Lingor port :-)

Thanks again for this

tvig0r0us, was curious if the mod @TPWCAS would play nice with this mission considering the AI work you've done. I did a quick run with it, and it seemed to be working ok, with the exception of some spurious 'check you fire' calls from AI groupmates when no shots were fired. About to look through the logs and see if anything popped up but figured I'd ask here just in case you or anyone else running the missions had tried running with it.

Edited by Uafasach
horrible typos

tvig0r0us, was curious if the mod @TPWCAS would play nice with this mission considering the AI work you've done. I did a quick run with it, and it seemed to be working ok, with the exception of some spurious 'check you fire' calls from AI groupmates when no shots were fired. About to look through the logs and see if anything popped up but figured I'd ask here just in case you or anyone else running the missions had tried running with it.

To the best of my knowlege you should be able to run any mod with minimal issues in UC. There is a bit of tweaking required in the config file of ASR_AI if you intend to run with that, namely you have to disable straglers joining groups as this is handled by the group handling system in UC. Other than that, I haven't run it with much other than that, JSRS, ACE (which works excellent!) and Blastcore. Let me know what your experiences are trying any other mods. Unless you notice something totally broken within the mission I wouldn't worry too much about what appears in the server log. Thanks again for playing!!