Sign in to follow this  
tvig0r0us

Urban Conquest by tvig0r0us

i love the mission tvig0r0us it has come along way since my last bit of advice

my ideas for improvement are - what ever you wish to do.

i liked your idea from the start - well all of your ideas :)

keep up the great work

i love the mission tvig0r0us it has come along way since my last bit of advice

my ideas for improvement are - what ever you wish to do.

i liked your idea from the start - well all of your ideas :)

keep up the great work

Thanks ZK:) That means alot coming from my arma mentor.

@BlackADD3R

There was a problem with locality in the recruiting script so if you were playing on a network you would have been unable to have other troops join your squad. This mission makes no use of high command though. As to soldiers just standing idle, I'm really not sure what the issue is there, or if there was one. If they detect any enemy activity in the area the will tend to stay put and defend their turf until the threat is gone. Another possibility is that they were waiting for their squad to get into formation before moving. That is a side effect of the way groups are formed in the mission. Thanks for giving it a go. The newer version is far more refined. I hope to release it pretty soon.

Cheers:D

Hello all! Real release version just posted! Check out the details and download link update in the OP.

Edit - My appologies to any of the 8 who downloaded already, I discovered an error that was causing the mission not to complete. I fixed it and reuploaded. Sorry about that.

Edited by tvig0r0us

Hello all. I'm pressing on with development despite the lack of responses here on the forum. For those that do find this mission entertaining (I know you're out there;)), I've added some pretty cool stuff.

New developments

- Major refinements in the handling of house patrols that allow for the groups to separate totally while patroling an area and then regroup to move on

- Added a scoring system based on the controller of the cp's

- Selectable max score or time limit or both

- Added display to update players on the score/remaining time depending on what's been selected

- Added graphic to mission load

I also plan on trying to work something out for rearming and refueling vehicles, but I'm not sure exactly what I want to do with that yet because I'm really satisfied with the pace of the gameplay and I'm afraid if I alter the disposable nature of the vehicles it might have negative affects on the experience.

If you're interested in trying out the mission in it's current state, my dedicated server will be up most all of the time unless I'm deving on it. Just search Team vig0r0us (with zeros for O's). For now I've cleared all other missions from the server so it's specifically set up for Urban Conquest alone.

That's all for now. Thanks to all who have stopped by to check it out.

It's always like this tvig0r0us. It took Zonekiller a year of coding to do his BZ missions, it's taken me hundreds of hours adding MSO and other bits into my mashup, but you rarely see them played on pub servers. You don't make the missions for others - do them for yourself and if others like them that's an extra bonus, but not the main drive.

Keep going mate, its a good mission. I've still got you on Skype anyway - anything you need testing then ask (although I'm in the MechWarrior Online closed beta and I am STOMPING almost constantly!)

Hi tvig0r0us

I'll definitely be checking out your mission when I get a chance. I'm also trying to test missions to see if they work OK with COWarMod http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?121837-COWarMod-Release so I'll be checking that as well. I've divided it into three folders at the moment, @CWM, @CWM-CBA (for mods that need CBA) and @CWM-AI (obviously for any AI mods, which tend to be the ones that cause problems) so that I can quickly disable stuff for testing. Anyway, if you have the time perhaps you might want to take a look at it as you might be able to say if there's any particular mods in it that you know will cause problems for your mission.

Well done mate - simple but strong, coherent concept! It creates a nice, dynamic combat system.

You may want to post some screenshots and a simple demo video to give people a better idea what your game mode is about.

Something like this (note DevCon makes the units shown):

picture001.jpg

I could imagine that smaller sectors but more plenty might create also a nice experience (especially inf only).

Keep up :bounce3:

Really excellent mission tvig0r0us. I think I will be playing this a lot now.

One thing I noticed is the scoring I think is off if you get spawned in to a different faction than what you started. Not sure if you can fix that or have some sort of separate scoring system in place or something.

Other than that it seems to work really really well.

Really excellent mission tvig0r0us. I think I will be playing this a lot now.

One thing I noticed is the scoring I think is off if you get spawned in to a different faction than what you started. Not sure if you can fix that or have some sort of separate scoring system in place or something.

Other than that it seems to work really really well.

Thanks Delta. Can you describe what happened with the scoring? I haven't tried to invoke a side change yet to test it, but after checking my code, I can't see anything that might have caused a problem with the scoring. Also, are you referring to the score kept by the game engine(v1.02) or the scoring system that's running on my server (v1.03 in the works)? Please let me know. I appreciate you giving it a shot and am glad you're enjoying it:)

Thanks Delta. Can you describe what happened with the scoring? I haven't tried to invoke a side change yet to test it, but after checking my code, I can't see anything that might have caused a problem with the scoring. Also, are you referring to the score kept by the game engine(v1.02) or the scoring system that's running on my server (v1.03 in the works)? Please let me know. I appreciate you giving it a shot and am glad you're enjoying it:)

I am not sure what version unfortunately as initially I was playing on my own server (LAN) but then wanted to see if anyone was running it out there so I jumped on the only one there. Did not notice if it was your server or what.

Basically my kills kept decreasing at a certain point every time I killed someone. So at one point I was up to 12 kills and then I would check every time I killed someone and it was one less. Now that I remember, at some point I did have a friendly kill so perhaps that has something to do with it. Perhaps once that happens I am enemy to everyone and any kill decreases my count or something. However, it isn't like my own team-mates were firing on me. But something is off here that is for certain.

I will try to perhaps reproduce the issue on my own server to see but might not be easy. As I said, I was spawned as a different faction at one point before this as well when the faction I started on was wiped out.

---------- Post added at 17:50 ---------- Previous post was at 16:53 ----------

Found another issue.

When I saved a game in progress and resumed it later I kept respawning Way west of the airport. I tried respawning and restarting a few times but always respawned in that same location.

I am not sure what version unfortunately as initially I was playing on my own server (LAN) but then wanted to see if anyone was running it out there so I jumped on the only one there. Did not notice if it was your server or what.

Basically my kills kept decreasing at a certain point every time I killed someone. So at one point I was up to 12 kills and then I would check every time I killed someone and it was one less. Now that I remember, at some point I did have a friendly kill so perhaps that has something to do with it. Perhaps once that happens I am enemy to everyone and any kill decreases my count or something. However, it isn't like my own team-mates were firing on me. But something is off here that is for certain.

I will try to perhaps reproduce the issue on my own server to see but might not be easy. As I said, I was spawned as a different faction at one point before this as well when the faction I started on was wiped out.

---------- Post added at 17:50 ---------- Previous post was at 16:53 ----------

Found another issue.

When I saved a game in progress and resumed it later I kept respawning Way west of the airport. I tried respawning and restarting a few times but always respawned in that same location.

I have no idea about the scoring issue, I will have to dig further or if someone else has any ideas about what would cause something like this I'd be interested in the solution. I have no code in the mission that performs manipulations on a players score, so it must be something in the engine and the way I switch the player side that is causing it.

The issue with reloads I know has to do with the deletion of the player's original unit. Unfortunately, v1.03 will have solved this by disabling saving all together unless some other solution surfaces.

Thanks a bunch for the feedback. I'll do my best to try and reach a positive resolution for these issues.

You may or may not be able to do anything about the scoring considering the engine probably doesn't handle switching sides mid-mission. Although you might want to check the scripting forums to see if there is something you need to set when you switch the player side. Maybe there is something that will work for it.

As for disabling saving I hope you figure out a better way around that. Saving is a great feature especially since this mission can potentially go for hours and hours if playing SP.

I just had a mission running for about 6 hours or so. I came back to it every so often to play for 30-45 mins and then I'd go on a break. ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC.

It seems that nobody will ever win this battle as zones just keep going back and forth between the various factions.

I can't say enough about this mission in its simplicity yet absolute immersion. I once found myself spawning in a friendly zone completely surrounded by enemy zones. It was very tense as I decided I would make my way back to a friendly zone. Was not easy at all. Lots of sneaking around and using buildings etc etc. Again, fantastic and I can't say enough about the game play here.

One possible suggestion:

1. Be nice if there was a game option to somehow lead to an end-game easier. There are probably numerous ideas you can come up with. The simplest being no respawn but that might be a little too quick of a game. Although I guess if that is an option on its own game creators can select it. Another option might be to deplete the AI at some rate. Perhaps every "x" human deaths deplete's the total AI count for the players faction decreases by 1. That way, at some point your faction total AI will eventually reach zero and that faction will lose soon enough. Of course there has to be a counter to this so for every "x" kills of an enemy that enemy AI count drops by 1. Or something along these lines. Another idea would have something to do with the number of zones one has and the rate of AI respawn or something. These are just ideas and obviously they should be optional parameters to set various values with a default being what seems reasonable after some play-testing.

Hey Delta. Thanks so much for your kind words about the mission. I'm really glad you're enjoying it. I think you will really like what you see if you stop by my Dedicated server and check out the work in progress. There is now a scoring system that brings the mission to an end after a selectable point threshold has been met or after a selectable time period. There are also a couple of slight changes in the ai routines that make better use of the buildings. Filter your server list for "Team vig0r0us" and drop by to check it out. I also have a CLA Afghan version up there where you battle it out for the big city in the middle of the map. I do hope there is still an alternative to the game save issue, but I'm going to have to stick with what works for the moment. Thanks again!

I don't see your server up there. I guess it is not a dedicated server. I was previously searching for "urban" in the mission filter but only ever found one running a few days ago. Hopefully more people will have this running.

I'm very interested in checking out the new end-game scoring system. Hopefully it is still possible to have it go on for hours and hours. It may have sounded like I wanted an end earlier but it would still be interesting to see a mission last for many many hours if one wanted to.

Not too worried about save game. It would just be a nice bonus if you get it working at some point.

Hey Delta, server currently up and running, search "Team vig0r0us" using zeros for O's.

Here's a new logo too:D

92f2d02e1858043cb6d57dae68246b3dec145feb375f9b28eabe8ce6360adcc14g.jpg

Edited by tvig0r0us

Basic rules of game design, but as you said it's your mission and you're free to do whatever the hell you want with it.

Who's game design? yours or his? please post a link to them so we can be as informed about the rules as well. Hey TVig what happened to the other forums and where's Templars post then? Xfire me if you get on. njmatrix aka NFMZ1

Edited by njmatrix

Unit markers, at least for your own team, would help to be able to organize somewhat,

as its quite difficulty with the random respawn. :)

Definitely needs to be an option though.

Unit markers, at least for your own team, would help to be able to organize somewhat,

Sorry I didn't reply earlier. After I read your first post I went ahead and incorporated makers in for everything with a simple on/off option. You can check this out on my server. I am trying to pin down a bug related to the way the AI form groups. As soon as I have it figured out, I'll be ready to port and release. I've also begun the port to fallujah and I plan on porting it to the larger urban areas on Cherno and maybe doing the whole map of Utes with only A2 units and vehics so the A2 free players can get in on the action too. I'm working hard to get this solidified because I plan to recreate my Squad Level Tactics mission for OFDR in Arma, and that's going to take alot of time.

If you'd like to drop in and check on the progress, feel free to jump on my server. Filter server name "Team vig0r0us" with zeros for O's.

Thanks for checking it out:)

sounds good :bounce3:

Hey tvig, I was checking out Fallujah on your server. Will friendly AI fire on you if you are in an enemy vehicle? I thought I was being smart stealing an enemy tank but may have back fired on me. It said I was killed by friendly fire and there were no other human players in game. I don't think I've seen this behavior on version 1.2 but I may not have entered any enemy vehicles up to this point.

Hey tvig, I was checking out Fallujah on your server. Will friendly AI fire on you if you are in an enemy vehicle? I thought I was being smart stealing an enemy tank but may have back fired on me. It said I was killed by friendly fire and there were no other human players in game. I don't think I've seen this behavior on version 1.2 but I may not have entered any enemy vehicles up to this point.

I suspect they will fire on you if they see you from a distance. The reason I think this is because some of the resistance vehicles are actually opfor vehicles and when seen from a distance they identify as opfor until they get close enough, then they identify as resistance. If this is truly the case, it's not too far fetched to think that you were mistaken for a hostile and fired upon.

BTW. Latest version with some bug fixes and a revamped marker system that only shows team markers! I'll be on for a while testing. Hit me up on xfire if you like... I'm tvig0r0us there too.

I suspect they will fire on you if they see you from a distance. The reason I think this is because some of the resistance vehicles are actually opfor vehicles and when seen from a distance they identify as opfor until they get close enough, then they identify as resistance. If this is truly the case, it's not too far fetched to think that you were mistaken for a hostile and fired upon.

BTW. Latest version with some bug fixes and a revamped marker system that only shows team markers! I'll be on for a while testing. Hit me up on xfire if you like... I'm tvig0r0us there too.

Unless this is new AI behavior I've never seen before I don't think it is Vanilla AI behavior but if someone knows for certain please correct me here. In other words I've never seen AI fire at you at any distance if you are in an enemy vehicle. They magically normally know that you are friendly or at least that is what I thought all along.

Anyway, I'll look for it again.

Hi all. Just a quick update. The server is up and running with working versions on 4 maps. Zargabad, Shapur, CLA Afghan and the southern most area of Fallujah. Provided no bugs show up, all that's left to do is bring the misson to a few new locations and I'll be ready to release v1.3, which is a major step forward! Feel free to stop by the server and check out the progress. Search "Team vig0r0us" with zero's for O's.