.kju

LOD switching issue since 1.62

You've got a fast PC for sure.

Have you tried changing Video Memory from Very High to Default?

Also try lowering terrain detail to Normal.

This post might offer some more solutions:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?85124-ArmA2-OA-%28low%29-performance-issues&p=2081466#post2081466

Let us know if any of them work for you.

Unless you have a very old GPU, you should always have video memory to default!

Try to change Video Memory to Default instead of Very High. This helped me a lot to kill LOD switching.
You've got a fast PC for sure.

Have you tried changing Video Memory from Very High to Default?

Also try lowering terrain detail to Normal.

This post might offer some more solutions:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?85124-ArmA2-OA-%28low%29-performance-issues&p=2081466#post2081466

Let us know if any of them work for you.

Unless you have a very old GPU, you should always have video memory to default!

Yes video memory is set to default, as always

Another issue what cause LOD switching is HDD fragmentation. Since you have an SSD I'm not sure disk defragmentation will help you. But you can try.

Another issue what cause LOD switching is HDD fragmentation. Since you have an SSD I'm not sure disk defragmentation will help you. But you can try.

No, he shouldn't. SSDs do not suffer from fragmentation, so running any kind of defrag on them is completely pointless. In fact all it will do is wear out the SSD.

Game on SSD drive

Running at 1920x1080 120hz

...)

So your OS and Page file is on a HDD?

Is there a typical map that the LOD issue is worse?

I have the same problem with LOD shifts. I went from a NIVIDA 285 to a NIVIDA 680. I changed to a SSD.

So your OS and Page file is on a HDD?

Is there a typical map that the LOD issue is worse?

My OS, Game, and page file are all on the SSD.

It occurs on all maps. Vehicles, buildings, and units, use the lowest-quality model (ie blocky, all wheels are diamonds, etc) at some distance (in the centre of my screen) and then immediately pop into a high detail one when moved closer or near the edges of my screen.

I am using a modified field of view (zoomed out) but it occurs all the same on regular 16:9 fov (which is too zoomed in for me)

It's a big pain because when you need to look at buildings from a distance (to spot infantry hiding in them) you cannot see them, but being AI they can see you just fine.

Good to know your a real user of your SSD, and not a scared to over write it BS. Yes the flashing is just crap. At distance and worse on some stuff, mostly the lame destruction models in the building that is flashing. Shimmer and flash.Its all gone to hell again. Not sure if i have it in me to regress all the game and my OS/Drivers back to the last non shimmer/flash time. Not sure what Bis wants from us. I think we should want them to actually play the game There is noway you cant see it.

As for seeing AI well you have to use 6xAA or more with FXAA sharp. you will see them in the shimmer.

Good to know your a real user of your SSD, and not a scared to over write it BS. Yes the flashing is just crap. At distance and worse on some stuff, mostly the lame destruction models in the building that is flashing. Shimmer and flash.Its all gone to hell again. Not sure if i have it in me to regress all the game and my OS/Drivers back to the last non shimmer/flash time. Not sure what Bis wants from us. I think we should want them to actually play the game There is noway you cant see it.

As for seeing AI well you have to use 6xAA or more with FXAA sharp. you will see them in the shimmer.

Performance is too poor on my system to use that much AA. I think 6xAA is an AMD-specific thing anyway. I can only use 2/4/8 etc. I heard forcing AA through drivers performs better than using the in game setting, do you know anything about that?

Performance is too poor on my system to use that much AA. I think 6xAA is an AMD-specific thing anyway. I can only use 2/4/8 etc. I heard forcing AA through drivers performs better than using the in game setting, do you know anything about that?
In game is better. And actually works. On the AA choices, It depends on the card model( gtx8800-gtx780 etc) as much as the chip maker(AMD-Nvidia).

It's 2018 and the problem still exists, at least for me that is. Here's a video of the flickering:

Has anyone found a viable solution other than regressing back to 1.60? I don't see why BI Devs can't simply make a fix to the LOD for 1.62, which most of the mods are compatible with, and 1.64, the final end product for Arma 2. I'm not asking for new features, just a fix to the LOD.