.kju

LOD switching issue since 1.62

SAME SH*T with latest beta 96493. Nothing has changed. ACR looks just as bad as before. :(

My guess is that we'll have to wait for Suma to fix the LOD system properly. Switching back to the old one obviously hasn't fixed the issues.

Yep. In Bystrika, LOD flickering with object detail < very high is quite bad, even with beta 96493.

I have the beta 96476, and the issue seems to be fixed. I haven't proved beta 96493.

Hope it help.

As explained before people complain about all sorts of different issues and wishes here.

To make a few examples:

# The ACR vegetation certainly has model or texture problems of its own.

# The A2/Chernarus vegetation is known to have model / texture problems since ages (different shape/color/fps killers, etc).

# Also with a slow HDD and ontop a fragmented partition, you will see slow LOD changing.

# Video memory default, texture detail very high, object detail very high is a must (next to a PC capable enough)

Unfortunately (so far) (it seems) BI did not spend much/enough time to tweak the vegetation models

to ensure a smoother transition between the different LOD levels.

Also in my view vegetation (seem to) have too high resolution models and/or textures - the highest or at times for some even

second highest resolution LOD should be removed, or possible to configure in videos options (vegetation separate to the rest).

As the past tests with community tools have shown, this helps a good deal for higher FPS, less LOD switching and ultimately smoother LOD transitions.

Finally I'd like to see LOD levels not change when you zoom in/out or use iron sights (only for optics). You can vote it there:

Feature #44645: Add video setting to show vegetation not in highest resolution for better FPS and less LOD switching

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/44645

Edited by .kju [PvPscene]

LOD flickering test in Bystrica. This is really bad. See signature for A2 vid settings, except that ATOC=0 for this test. Note CTD in middle. Is my video card dying? The high-freq flickering also occurs in normal Chernarus, and is independent of all video settings; in other words, the flickering will occur even with texture and object details at very high, or normal, etc.

b_D-JW5DhQ8

When zooming in, the vegetation goes higher Rez then lower then settles on high...... WHY? What is the engine trying to do, because it is therefore totally screwed up. Likewise when zooming back out it does the same LOD wobble back and forward.

Just plain broken. BIS made a big deal of the LINDA system for vegetation, but it is obviously plainly broken.

When zooming in, the vegetation goes higher Rez then lower then settles on high...... WHY? What is the engine trying to do, because it is therefore totally screwed up. Likewise when zooming back out it does the same LOD wobble back and forward.

Just plain broken. BIS made a big deal of the LINDA system for vegetation, but it is obviously plainly broken.

I have to agree, its horrible as it is right now. I can even see a darker sphere around my player...

Here is a vid of the flickering in Chernarus. A2 vid settings are shown in middle of video, when I tried changing shadow quality to normal to see if that would help, which it did not. Both texture and object detail on very high. The flickering occurs at high and low FPS.

8m3G46kKEC4

Edited by OMAC

these are mine problems but actual beta seems ok for the old islands like cherna or takistan
only acr maps have these issuse

More possible Z-fighting on rocks across river, Bystrica (ticket updated):

-E3gKQxuQB4

I can confirm that omac. I have noticed it too on Bystrica. I also am still getting the stutter, as you do in the video, when you are zooming. And the same as in the last segment of Daio's video.

Thanks, seany. I was beginning to think that my video card was having some final spasms before death....

That flickering has always be in A2 and sadly I've started to live with it. Try setting your texture resolution to something lower and it gets much worse. (for me)

That flickering has always be in A2 and sadly I've started to live with it.

...and that makes baby Jesus cry :(

the LOD issues are quite complex

(re-doing the LODs would solve it, but first automated tool for this needs to be made, which is not easy nor short time task)

Dwarden,

Are you guys working on this?

http://www.simplygon.com ... just sayin'

Wow! That sure sounds like just the automated LOD editing tool that BIS is looking for! :cool:

From my point of view, for optimization, BIS has changed the distance of showing high resolution LOD, beacuse I've notice that even if you are standing the same position in front of the same building, you will see a lower quality building than the one in 1.60.

Can anyone still remember the beautiful scene when ArmA2 just came out(1.02 version)? I bet that the distance of showing high resolution at that time was the biggest ever.But after millions of voice shouting optimization, BIS low the distance step by step, until now the worst in 1.62. How pity.

I've been trying to find out the parameter hiding in the config.bin of Bin.pbo or Ca.pbo, but failed, so it must be hardcoded in the arma2.exe or arma2oa.exe.

From my point of view, for optimization, BIS has changed the distance of showing high resolution LOD, beacuse I've notice that even if you are standing the same position in front of the same building, you will see a lower quality building than the one in 1.60.

Can anyone still remember the beautiful scene when ArmA2 just came out(1.02 version)? I bet that the distance of showing high resolution at that time was the biggest ever.But after millions of voice shouting optimization, BIS low the distance step by step, until now the worst in 1.62. How pity.

I've been trying to find out the parameter hiding in the config.bin of Bin.pbo or Ca.pbo, but failed, so it must be hardcoded in the arma2.exe or arma2oa.exe.

yup why not provide us with a slider or something to set it ourselves? alot has changed hardware wise the past 2 years , would like to take advantage of it.

Since using the latest BETA patch, ive found all the isues with LODs i had have pretty much all disappeared. Even the ACR maps are working correctly, good job BIS :)

Since using the latest BETA patch, ive found all the isues with LODs i had have pretty much all disappeared. Even the ACR maps are working correctly, good job BIS :)

Confirmed here on 1.62.96751 - All Texture Detail settings working for me with no issues.

Specs:

HD 7870 2gb

I5 3570k

8gb RAM.

Win 7 64bit.