.kju

LOD switching issue since 1.62

i fear the revert to 1.60 LOD system may also lead to drop of performance for some (or all) ... maybe just wait for the proper rework ...

Yes revert and rework!The gain in performance is not worth!I get better performance with 1.62 but terrible annoying LODs!The game looked better with 1.60 LODs and performance was good.

Would reverting to 1.60 LOD system also remove instant LOD switching for scopes that was introduced in betas? I'd kinda miss that.

Would reverting to 1.60 LOD system also remove instant LOD switching for scopes that was introduced in betas? I'd kinda miss that.

Agreed, that was a great improvement.

Revert it to 1.60 LOD system.

/KC

In plain 1.60 LODs were really unstable with flickering even when moving the camera only slightly. There was a beta sometime between 1.60 & 1.61 that has the best LOD handling, but I don't know exactly which one. I guess it was the one right after when LOD were declared 'completely broken' by Suma.

or how about a LOD slider where i can set the zoomed in LOD to be the standard LOD, i have a videocard that can handle that kind of detail. would get rid of LOD switching and make the game look better in general.

Revert it to 1.60 LOD system.

/KC

Done in 96074.

Wait for the next beta.

Is it possible to have both LOD implementations and being able to select which one to use via command line switch?

This would be excellent.

LOD and stutter worse than before 1.62 on Takistan Domination

Now that the Linux beta server has been out for a while I have had a chance to get a good few games of TAW Takistan Domination going. I feel I am getting far worse performance due to this LOD swapping when I am in towns. I get very heavy stuttering and notice buildings and objects only a 200m or so away with very low LOD that then swaps to correct LOD. It reminds of a problem I use to have in Arma1 where the game would start stuttering and running badly while it was waiting for one texture to load some where that seemed as though it was stuck. Also zooming in and out, again gives this very heavy stuttering when around lots of objects (eg a town). I know this is subjective and I guess no real help to pinning down the problem but I just wanted to add it.

ACR

Aside from this current LOD problem, it appears to me that some of the foliage on the "new" ACR islands just aren't not finished. There is a particular bush that looks very bad all the time:

e6669e.jpg

Also this fir tree:

xayyah.jpg Seems very 2 dimensional for a linda tree, maybe its the shadows, but I game it just doesn't look "right".

Both of these where with Object Detail @ Very High

Done in 96074.

Wait for the next beta.

Thanks, it will be interesting to test.

Edited by -=seany=-

Just tested 1.60(back up) no beta vs 1.62 and LODs are much smoother in 1.60! So 96074 should look good!

Thanks suma/Dwarden!

Done in 96074.

Wait for the next beta.

Excellent. Does that revert the instant scope zoom back as well? Not sure if that is related or if it's a seperate thing that could be kept.

I've noticed when installing the older betas that 87636 installs some files in beta\addons and beta\expansion\addons which none of the later betas do. Are these needed with the later betas or not (i.e should the later betas install their files over the existing ones, keeping these files, or is it OK to just delete the beta and Battleye folders and just use whatever files the later betas install?

Is there any consensus on which beta was the last one without this LOD switching problem?

I’m using 1.62.96015 at the mo and it seems a whole lot better, still things to do but its looking good and performance is being maintained.:)

i fear the revert to 1.60 LOD system may also lead to drop of performance for some (or all) ... maybe just wait for the proper rework ...

And when that rework comes, please include an LOD slider in it. That's all we really want: moar sliders. Sliders are a PC gamer's best friend. LOD sliders, shadow rez sliders, object draw distance sliders, Post processing sliders, sliders, sliders... !!!!!!

Edited by TheCapulet

I've noticed when installing the older betas that 87636 installs some files in beta\addons and beta\expansion\addons which none of the later betas do. Are these needed with the later betas or not (i.e should the later betas install their files over the existing ones, keeping these files, or is it OK to just delete the beta and Battleye folders and just use whatever files the later betas install?

Is there any consensus on which beta was the last one without this LOD switching problem?

these are obsolete betas and it was prior 1.62 release, anyway to do clean install of beta, just erase the \Expansion\beta\ folder and install new beta

these are obsolete betas and it was prior 1.62 release, anyway to do clean install of beta, just erase the \Expansion\beta\ folder and install new beta

Cool, thanks. Just wanted to be sure I hadn't accidentally deleted some files I shouldn't have ;)

Just to be clear though, if I'm using 1.60 or any beta prior to 1.62, do these files become redundant at a certain beta or are they needed until 1.62?

Been trying some more tests with this - one thing that made a lot of difference was to delete the playername.arma2OAprofile file located in:

documents/arma2 other profiles/playername.

When you restart the game it creates a new file with the correct format, I was getting a clash with the old file and 1.62 that was causing graphics hardware problems - you could hear the fan surging along with FPS drop - things back to 1.60 standards now. You will have to redo your keybindings.

Along with the above make sure textures is set to 'Very high' as recommended many times by others. Good to have the game back to normal.

Edited by PELHAM

Interesting tip, I'll give it a shot. Still waiting on that new beta... ;)

Been trying some more tests with this - one thing that made a lot of difference was to delete the playername.arma2OAprofile file located in:

documents/arma2 other profiles/playername.

When you restart the game it creates a new file with the correct format, I was getting a clash with the old file and 1.62 that was causing graphics hardware problems - you could hear the fan surging along with FPS drop - things back to 1.60 standards now. You will have to redo your keybindings.

Along with the above make sure textures is set to 'Very high' as recommended many times by others. Good to have the game back to normal.

Tried this already and no improvements, also Very High doesn't give me any benefits. I set it to Normal, it some what helps.

Spoke too soon - it fixed a lot of my problems but still getting some slow loading LODS here and there. Nothing too serious though, occasionally a vehicle stays in long distance LOD for 30 secs, seems to happen after you have spawned in the area or moved to it quickly in an aircraft or vehicle. Lower video settings on textures, shadows etc affects buildings and trees, with most settings set to very high I have no problems with terrain, buildings and trees. (leave antiailiasing low if ur system struggles - doesn't matter)

I don't seem to see the issue much anymore...? Then again i don't play any default missions etc.. There are times of slow LOD, but a quick zoom on it usually fixes it. But then there is the occasional one that just doesnt load...But i have had that since day one with A1... Not sure why its better now. My uninstall and new install of the Cat 12.7b to 12.8wqhl? But they are the same driver, just one is official. Also maxed up my settings in the CCC(control panel for ATI) getting 100% usage in game with the gpu, it does end up using 2.7GB+ of VRAM.

Still rubbish! Bushes, trees, buildings all switching LODs when looking at them initially.