.kju

LOD switching issue since 1.62

Not necessary Dayz additions. But i believe some of thing such as the server browser, are elements which we will see in Arma3. The LOD issue i hope is fixed, my PC is approaching 3 years old, yet at 1.60 i was having no trouble getting 50-60 fps and no LOD switching. Now at 1.62 LOD switching and a loss of 10 -20 fps :(

today i uninstall acr and 1.62 returning back to 1.60

its unplayble with that trees and building switches

thanks for no statement from devs :(

Really tempted to roll back myself. They can comment in the Xsplit thread but not here :( I am disappoint!

@Kremator

I have a feeling that the isssue is bigger than we think,that's why everyone is keeping silence :D

That sounds quite likely, but at least an acknowledgement from BIS to say they are aware of the issue would be nice. :bored:

the LOD issues are quite complex

there is scene complexity vs FOV issue (not to mention vs optics) and then culling methods

can't rule out possible bug introduced in many tweaks and fixes for the LODs in past months

some LODs on some objects have incorrect coloring (in rare case also shape don't match or some lods are absent) thus while the 'change' seems wrong the LOD is actually correct

(re-doing the LODs would solve it, but first automated tool for this needs to be made, which is not easy nor short time task)

there is also texture loading issue (i seen it randomly but can't be sure if it's drivers or game) with blank white texture on LOD switch

i think best would be to start with some rock solid test scenario (are on map where are both trees and objects) where these bug appear on most/all types of objects

anyone got suggestion or such scenario / location position ?

Thanks for the reply, Dwarden. I'll take a look and see if I can find a good test location (probably in Cherno as there are a lot of both trees and objects).

Thanks for the reply, Dwarden. I'll take a look and see if I can find a good test location (probably in Cherno as there are a lot of both trees and objects).

Try Looking at krasnotav from Klen (that mountain near it)

Or Nadezhdino from west :)

Just wanted to draw attention to a little how-to I wrote up, that shows a couple of tricks I've used to have 1.60 and 1.62 installed at the same time and also let me have multiple betas installed and easily launchable, which might help those of us testing this problem, or keep 1.62 installed for online play and an earlier version without this nasty problem for SP. http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?138800-How-To-Have-v1-60-AND-1-62-installed-without-wasting-space

Get that testing in then doveman :) This needs to be sorted out.

BIS should be looking at sorting these LODs 'misshapes' anyway !

I confirm I am aware of the issue. This time, rather than implementing one more hack into the LOD system, I would perhaps rather rework it a bit deeper, however this can take some time. If community agrees the 1.60 was better in this respect, we can revert LOD management to that version meanwhile.

yeah please revert *falling on knees :P

Thanks for the offer Suma

I won't profess to be an expert on all the betas, but I haven't moved past 1.60.94364 because it seems pretty good to me .....

Please revert to 1.60 LOD system. I welcome the deeper fix in the future, that will once and for all sort this !

And thanks for listening.

Yes,i am 100 % for a revert (i said that during 1.61 beta days too).

Maybe,we can create a poll thread for it ?

Yes,i am 100 % for a revert (i said that during 1.61 beta days too).

Maybe,we can create a poll thread for it ?

We don't need a poll here. Even though I don't have that much of a problem with the current LOD system I wouldn't mind reverting to the previous stable version. I guess I'm not alone here.

i fear the revert to 1.60 LOD system may also lead to drop of performance for some (or all) ... maybe just wait for the proper rework ...

Any idea why ACR dlc is affected most? Trees, plants, bushes made somewhow different then in Chernarus? I dont mind playing Chernarus maps with current lod-problem until proper fix but ACR is just unplayable.

i fear the revert to 1.60 LOD system may also lead to drop of performance for some (or all) ... maybe just wait for the proper rework ...

Performance actually seemed about the same for me in 1.60 as it does now, but depending on how long the estimated time is for a rework (a few weeks? a month or two?), I'd say go for the rework.

If it's gonna be like 6 months, though, I'd say revert back to 1.60 LOD.

I don't think it is simple as "just revert the LOD changes" part.

Is it possible to have both LOD implementations and being able to select which one to use via command line switch?

As i got the feeling it will take ages to rework, do the revert please...