.kju

LOD switching issue since 1.62

LOD switching perse isnt the problem for me, but rather it not switching. even up close characters and vehicles use the lowest possible texture no matter how long i wait. though i cant imagine that being the issue with an SSD and 8gb ram

i have less load switch issues (not all that many, and all have been temporary) if i use veryhigh Vidmem settings with my 3GB card.

Tried that, makes no difference for me with my setup other than causing more stutter (less usable VRAM).

I had to do a fresh re-install after 1.61 - got no problems with this update at all, it improves multiplayer and I like the gun changes. Re-install the game and more importantly - DEFRAG everything afterwards. LOD problems in my experience are caused by a faulty install (had a bad cable on DVD drive) or badly fragmented files.

Just wanted to report that I too am getting LOD problems since the patch. For me the biggest problem is the LODs not changing until you are way too close to the object. Tress/bushes, Vehicles etc all allow you to get way too close before switching to their Higher LOD.

Same happens here, not sure if anyone else had it but sometimes from far away a flying heli looks like a lego brick... Or it could be just my settings which I doubt and its rare.

Yeah the LOD problems becomes more obvious when you're flying. I was attacking a convoy yesterday with an A-10 and it was really hard to see which vehilces were already destroyed, because most vehilces looked like lego bricks with normal color and only changed to the normal black destroyed model once I was really close to them.

I tested this for an hour tonight by flying up and down over a row of tanks and found I could only reproduce it by turning the various anti-aliasing video options up full which puts a strain on the hardware and delays the LOD rendering. Turning down the AA settings a notch or two solves the problem for me. AA has changed with the new options settings, maybe it needs to be configured slightly differently?

I have AA on low and the PP settings on 0 and still have a major problem with this. I was testing flying over the centre of Zargabad the other day and the pop-up was crazy.

Yeah I have LOD switching as well. Objects remain pretty low-detailed unless you come within ~30m of them.

I had to do a fresh re-install after 1.61 - got no problems with this update at all, it improves multiplayer and I like the gun changes. Re-install the game and more importantly - DEFRAG everything afterwards. LOD problems in my experience are caused by a faulty install (had a bad cable on DVD drive) or badly fragmented files.

Ive defragged my Arma2 directory, and run gamebooster. But still getting the LOD issues, i don't really want to have to reinstall, but this is looking more likely at the moment :(

I tested this for an hour tonight by flying up and down over a row of tanks and found I could only reproduce it by turning the various anti-aliasing video options up full which puts a strain on the hardware and delays the LOD rendering. Turning down the AA settings a notch or two solves the problem for me. AA has changed with the new options settings, maybe it needs to be configured slightly differently?

In the previous patch ive always had AA turned off, i will have a look tonight and play around with the AA settings.

Yeah I have LOD switching as well. Objects remain pretty low-detailed unless you come within ~30m of them.
i have similar issues, i have an old ATi 4800 series card and it had my game tweaked enough so that it looked nice but ran at a good FPS. Now with the LOD switching its horrible and annoying. I have no idea what they have changed since 1.60 but hope BIS can resolve the issues Edited by R0adki11

Ive defragged my Arma2 directory, and run gamebooster. But still getting the LOD issues, i don't really want to have to reinstall, but this is looking more likely at the moment :(

In the previous patch ive always had AA turned off, i will have a look tonight and play around with the AA settings.

i have similar issues, i have an old ATi 4800 series card and it had my game tweaked enough so that it looked nice but ran at a good FPS. Now with the LOD switching its horrible and annoying. I have no idea what they have changed since 1.60 but hope BIS can resolve the issues

I still don't get that much LOD switching at all. Using a 5870/i7 920 and an SSD and AA is always off. Maybe try to switch AA off, video memory to "default" and object detail to "very high" for a test. If your system can't cope reduce the view distance. Would be nice to see if the LOD problems are related to graphics settings.

i have similar issues, i have an old ATi 4800 series card and it had my game tweaked enough so that it looked nice but ran at a good FPS. Now with the LOD switching its horrible and annoying. I have no idea what they have changed since 1.60 but hope BIS can resolve the issues

Have you updated the drivers recently? http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

I still don't get that much LOD switching at all. Using a 5870/i7 920 and an SSD and AA is always off. Maybe try to switch AA off, video memory to "default" and object detail to "very high" for a test. If your system can't cope reduce the view distance. Would be nice to see if the LOD problems are related to graphics settings.

I have AA off as standard, i will try running video memory at default and the object detail to very high, and see what happens. I only run the view distance at 1600 as i normally play PvP Arma2 or Dayz so no need for high view distance

Have you updated the drivers recently? http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Yep, downloaded the lastest drivers last night, didnt see much improvement. I may need tweak the settings further tonight once i finish work.

Edited by R0adki11

I also get the LOD switching, it really is a game killer as you see the textures popping from low to high and vice versa when zooming in and out as someone showed in this video:

So, has there been any progress on this? Haven't really heard from the devs. What do they need from us?

Was this a change that was released in the one of the betas, or does it look like some thing they added only to the RC patch or Final patch?

What I don't get is I was using the Betas up to about 95248 and I didn't notice these problems. With a bit more testing I am also noticing that I am not only getting LODs swapping too late, but also stuttering/poor FPS when zooming with a scope etc.

I also get the LOD switching, it really is a game killer as you see the textures popping from low to high and vice versa when zooming in and out as someone showed in this video:

Yes I get that, the blade twitching only occurs on the UH-1's, probably a texture error.

Naah its not that. I climbed aboard Ah64 and for a split second it showed me its far away LOD (black window) - with my head just a few inches away :)

No other factors, 60 fps in middle of the empty desert.

Naah its not that. I climbed aboard Ah64 and for a split second it showed me its far away LOD (black window) - with my head just a few inches away :)

No other factors, 60 fps in middle of the empty desert.

Ive seen the LOD switching on vehicles too.

Some of my LOD switching may have been resolved with new graphics drivers, im still getting it in Cities or towns really bad but vast open areas are better now. Though what is some what alarming in game i use to get 40-50 fps in game at 1.60 patch, now i get 25 - 30 fps with 1.62.

Hopefully BIS can fix it :)

Can you guys please provide some meaningful video (with annotation or explanation) or repro what is different in 1.62 now?

So far I've seen and heard only general complaints about LOD switching.

At best one possible problem some mention is units at close distance sticking to low LOD levels (too long).

Can you guys please provide some meaningful video (with annotation or explanation) or repro what is different in 1.62 now?

So far I've seen and heard only general complaints about LOD switching.

At best one possible problem some mention is units at close distance sticking to low LOD levels (too long).

P.S.: Please use HD option to view

So what is the video to show?

The normal LOD switching after zoom in and out?

Or would you claim they didnt in 1.60?

Also you should set video memory to VH or default, probably also object detail, to get the least LOD switching in general.

What is sorely needed is a video comparison of LOD switching in 1.60 and 1.62.

So what is the video to show?

Also you should set video memory to VH or default, probably also object detail, to get the least LOD switching in general.

This and don't forget to set texture detail to very high as well ...