.kju

LOD switching issue since 1.62

I noticed this too while running the E8 Perfomance test. When the scenery shifts from the two US tanks to the two Russian tanks, it takes a second before the detailed texture shows up on the tanks.

Haven't noticed this before. But then again I have not run any beta patches since 1.60.94700

That's a nice example. I too never noticed this problem before on E8 and I frequently run all benchmarks for performance testing.

But now every 1st run those 2 T72s fail to render immediatelly and can monitor how my vram usage increases after they render properly. With a 2nd run and my vram still filled, the models appear correct immediatelly.

No other tank (bradley,m1a2) on the scene has a problem.

5oxdCl.jpg

Click on image for higher resolution.

Here is a short clip showing LOD switching while I decrease and increase FOV.

Maybe there could be an video option to turn LOD switching off when changing FOV, only make it change when your character is physically moving.

[YUTUBE]YhWhWGY_qH4[/YOUTUBE]

Devs cannot tell us that this is working as intended.

Edited by Placebo

I'm also seeing a step back in LOD swithing compared to 1.60 as well as having the Z-fighting issue back (tested with 95389).

/KC

Here is a short clip showing LOD switching while I decrease and increase FOV.

Maybe there could be an video option to turn LOD switching off when changing FOV, only make it change when your character is physically moving.

This is how LOD switching was on [NORMAL] in the objects detail setting before this patch, but it would drastically improve if you put it on [VERY HIGH].

Now there's no difference - it's like they decided to remove [very high] altogether and replace it with [normal] without changing the names. So in the pull down menu we now have [very low], [low], [normal], [normal] AND [normal] to choose from. Looks like they went way overboard when "optimizing".

I also confirm this annoying LOD problem, last night when I was goofing around in Chernarus, I noticed some house in really terrible low LOD, even if I was only 80 meters away from it.

This is how LOD switching was on [NORMAL] in the objects detail setting before this patch, but it would drastically improve if you put it on [VERY HIGH].

Now there's no difference - it's like they decided to remove [very high] altogether and replace it with [normal] without changing the names. So in the pull down menu we now have [very low], [low], [normal], [normal] AND [normal] to choose from. Looks like they went way overboard when "optimizing".

^^this...looks like they remove Very High setting for Objects Detail.

The ticket in the first post is about unstable LOD transitions, whereas a lot of us seem to be talking about how annoying the obvious LOD switching/morphing when zooming is.

There's a ticket about LOD switching of Vegetation here https://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/7518

I haven't found one for LOD switching of buildings yet. If someone's made one or found one, please post a link for us to vote for.

There's an old thread about the problem here http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?90401-Zooming-and-LOD-switching/page5

One good idea in that thread is to have a LOD distance slider, so that we could make it always show the higher quality LODs up to say 500-1000m, eliminating the annoying switching of buildings/vegetation when zooming on scenes fairly close. Also having instant switching instead of the morphing on vegetation seems like a better idea as it's then not noticeable/distracting.

There was a mod for A2 to fix the vegetation switching problem but I don't know if there's one for OA https://dev-heaven.net/projects/proper-projects/wiki/Vegetation_Tweak_Visuals

That's a nice example. I too never noticed this problem before on E8 and I frequently run all benchmarks for performance testing.

But now every 1st run those 2 T72s fail to render immediatelly and can monitor how my vram usage increases after they render properly. With a 2nd run and my vram still filled, the models appear correct immediatelly.

No other tank (bradley,m1a2) on the scene has a problem.

http://i.imgur.com/5oxdCl.jpg

Click on image for higher resolution.

Noticed that this happens almost always when using a small "setaccTime" and 200% 3D Res, thing that didn't happen at all before.

abjERTGl.jpg

I also notice heavy LoD switching when I zoom in on buildings. Takes a moment to change AFTER zooming in.

Note: this is after all textures are loaded

Running from SSD

FPS is also a bit lower than 1.60 :(

I notice this happens much more when I turn on any PPAA. It's a problem without it, specially with vehicles, but the game is nearly unplayable with it turned on.

Also an ATI user.

Yup, same EDcase. Not only that, but I'm also getting some textures remaining in the low LOD - kinda spoils the fun in missions when you are standing next to a 'block' building.

Hmm, me & my team are still waiting on 1.60 on clients and dedicated win server. These topics really made us stop playing so we cancelled a weekly event after a really long time... is it possible that urgent 1.63 is coming soon? Any tips what to do? Dedicted is updated yet?

Noticed that this happens almost always when using a small "setaccTime" and 200% 3D Res, thing that didn't happen at all before.

http://t.imgbox.com/abjERTGl.jpg

Whoa! I'm getting this issue also starting in beta 95417 (at least I haven't see it before). The vehicles in the intros (Takistan, Faffindale) take many seconds to get to normal high LOD, and the intros themselves took an abnormally long time to load. But I will check to see if this happens repeatedly.

Edit:

Well, I haven't seen the issue since, but will keep looking.

Edited by OMAC

Same problem here EXTREME LOD switching.

Intel i2600K @5 GHZ

ASUS 2011 Rampage IV GENE X79

16GB Corsair XMS3 Dominator DDR1866

Gainward GeForce GTX 680 Phantom, 2GB GDDR5

Intel SSD 520

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Edited by Mike-USA

Hmm, me & my team are still waiting on 1.60 on clients and dedicated win server. These topics really made us stop playing so we cancelled a weekly event after a really long time... is it possible that urgent 1.63 is coming soon? Any tips what to do? Dedicted is updated yet?

Today we decided to roll back our servers. We spend the weekend testing 1.62 (incl. available betas) and reached the decision that 1.62 is step in the wrong direction. We had a long discussion and as much as we understand and accept BI's interest in DayZ we can not follow the decision to make the game compatible to an "alpha state modification". Until 1.62 all available mods, addons, islands are grounded on the game, and not converse! We know that BI always supported 3rd party mods and addons but in the end we paid for a modifiable milsim, not a for a modifiable Zombie mod.

We hope that BI will soon seperate DayZ from ArmA again. But if not, 1.60 is our final ArmA2:OA patch as it still the best patch that ever happend to the series.

Edited by CHB68

Today we decided to roll back our servers. We spend the weekend testing 1.62 (incl. available betas) and reached the decision that 1.62 is step in the wrong direction. We had a long discussion and as much as we understand and accept BI's interest in DayZ we can not follow the decision to make the game compatible to an "alpha state modification". Until 1.62 all available mods, addons, islands are grounded on the game, and not converse! We know that BI always supported 3rd party mods and addons but in the end we paid for a modifiable milsim, not a for a modifiable Zombie mod.

We hope that BI will soon seperate DayZ from ArmA again. But if not, 1.60 is our final ArmA2:OA patch as it still the best patch that ever happend to the series.

So what changes exactly are in the new patch that are just for DayZ that have ruined Arma2 the Milsim? I personally can't think of any. People are disappointed that the Linux server patch is taking longer than we would like to be released, some folk don't like the changes to the weapons(non DayZ related) and finally there are some LOD problems with the recent patch. Nope....I still can't see the connection to ruined Arma milsim, this patch and DayZ....hmmm

I'm just not seeing huge differences in LOD switching between beta 95417 and about the last 6-8 betas (back to 1.62 betas), other than vehicles drawing slowly once or twice. What possible changes have been made recently that would effect LOD issues, if any? Are those changes DayZ related? I doubt it, but...

I'm just not seeing huge differences in LOD switching between beta 95417 and about the last 6-8 betas (back to 1.62 betas), other than vehicles drawing slowly once or twice. What possible changes have been made recently that would effect LOD issues, if any? Are those changes DayZ related? I doubt it, but...

I don't think it necessarily started with 1.62 final, but rather at some point between 1.60 and 1.62 (which, yes, is a lot of betas unfortunately). I know that one of the betas made it so zooming instantly (via binoculars and ACOG for example) makes the high-quality LODs appear instantly, which is a great step. Now we just need to get this "slow-zoom" LOD issue ironed out.

I know that one of the betas made it so zooming instantly (via binoculars and ACOG for example) makes the high-quality LODs appear instantly, which is a great step.

There is still quite a lot of LOD switching with binoculars or laser rangefinder when you are looking at the forest. Which beta are you referring to? I can't find reference to such a change in the changelog.

So what changes exactly are in the new patch that are just for DayZ that have ruined Arma2 the Milsim? I personally can't think of any. People are disappointed that the Linux server patch is taking longer than we would like to be released, some folk don't like the changes to the weapons(non DayZ related) and finally there are some LOD problems with the recent patch. Nope....I still can't see the connection to ruined Arma milsim, this patch and DayZ....hmmm

my thoughts

Sorry to hear that. Game works perfect and even better for me. I run the game from a 25 Gig RAM DISK. No load times. NO LOD switching. Everything in RAM !!!!!!

This. I'm a bit fed up with people blaming everything that is not to their liking to DayZ. Ofc a lot of fixes are pushed because of DayZ, but that is only a godsend for us as MP players. On top of that, the LOD switching has certainly nothing to do with DayZ?

There is still quite a lot of LOD switching with binoculars or laser rangefinder when you are looking at the forest. Which beta are you referring to? I can't find reference to such a change in the changelog.

I don't recall which one, and I'm not sure it was a documented changelog entry, anyway. I'd have to do some more testing but I don't have any delay in LOD swapping with instant zooms anymore.

i have less load switch issues (not all that many, and all have been temporary) if i use veryhigh Vidmem settings with my 3GB card.