Sign in to follow this  
copper2010

I need help with a scene I want to set up that requires very specific actions.

Ok, so this is the what the mission is about...

The year is 2014, you are a UN bodyguard for an offical who is doing peacekeeping duties with the now Russian-owned Chernarus. Your helicopter lands and everyone piles out, this is where I need help, to make life easier, I'll put what happenes next in a list fashion.

1) An SUV pulls up, everyone gets in.

2) The SUV takes you to the International Hotal and everyone gets out.

From this point on, I don't know what to do..

3) The UN offical and Russian general salute each other.

4) Everyone goes inside and the offical and general sit down on two folding chairs.

5)After a bit of talking, the general stands up, pulls his pistol, shoots the offical, and orders his men to shoot you and the rest of the team.

6) The mission ends as a victory as you die (This is mainly what I am stuck on).

Can someone please explain to me step by step how to get these tings to happen?

Get some friends to play that scenario out, FRAPS it and play it as a cutscene.

Get some friends to play that scenario out, FRAPS it and play it as a cutscene.

Oh wow, that is a helpful solution... maybe I don't have any friends on steam who have arma 2?

Now is a great time to make some friends then. :) Or you can enjoy the misery of trying to specific cutscene actions using the ArmA2 engine. A quick search should prove that futility.

There's a reason that official BIS cutscenes like that are now either movies or specifically motion captured animations and not just scripting.

For step 3 you can use playMove or just an action to get them to salute. No guarantees that they'll be facing each other, but a setDir + setPos might do it, sometimes.

For step 4 assigning them waypoints or perhaps a doMove will get them inside your building. Might even play around with possible buildingPos locations if the building is right for it. For sitting in chairs you could try a moveInCargo with a Chair With Cargo object, or mess around with attachTo and sitting animations using playMove again.

For step 5 the talking would work best if someone was standing, there's lots of "standing and talking" animations, but no sitting and talking ones. Use switchMove to get out of the sitting animation and a mixture of doTarget and doFire to get him to fire, hopefully. Probably best to just fake it with a sound effect and a setDamage on the target though.

Presumably for step 6 you'd have used setCaptive to keep them from shooting you and your guys (and disableAIs on your guys to stop them from doing stuff) so you'd set that false and hope to get shot at. doFires and the like might help a bit.

Or set up each bit on it's own, FRAPs those and edit them together. So instead of one long shot you'd have a bunch of jump cuts. Have the guys drive up with the camera following the vehicle, see them get out. Then the next scene they'd be in the building already sitting down avoiding bad pathfinding and teleporting into chairs. Have the guy stand up and done one of the briefing animations then change the shot to a closeup of the guy pulling a weapon. There's a lot of ways you can do it, but doing it live in the engine is the worst and most difficult. :)

Here's a few examples:

Two guys talking in the street, they stop talking, each get in a car and drive off and

. Or you have a
him and his troops. Actually that one worked pretty well except for off pathfinding. :)

And of course... AI convoys:

if you need friends, i m sure you can find many here! :D

Thanks! I'll try these. One more question. How can you have a whole group moveInCargo without putting "this moveInCargo" for each soldier?

Thanks! I'll try these. One more question. How can you have a whole group moveInCargo without putting "this moveInCargo" for each soldier?

Either that or put this into the init field of any one unit in the group:

{_x assignAsCargo vehicleName; _x moveInCargo vehicleName} forEach units group this

Generally, for easier management, I put it into the init field of the group leader.