Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead / Combined Operations / Reinforcements update 1.62

Idealy yes but I can assure you that 5.45x39 is HP bullet as I have used them been in country which mostly used eastern weapons. All ammo we ever recieved for AK-74 has FMJ but bullet tip itself is empty thats why bullet starts to tumble around inside body when it is hit. Another example is 7.62x39 AP round which goes straight through engine block of a car.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?158493-5-45mm-round

Umm have you read the postings that you link to? They clearly state that the 5.45 is not a hollow point. A hollow point in a bullet does not a "Hollow Point" make. It's there for ballistic reasons, not to cause bullet expansion.

For the record:

Rifles are rifles and pistols are pistols. One is not the other and neither can replace the other.

Saying goes: the pistol is for fighting to your rifle. A pistol is the weapon you can carry with you to more places and more situations than a rifle can go. That doesn't make it the ultimate power in the universe; that makes it convenient.

Pistols are notoriously weak 'stoppers' and it takes a lot of practice and training to use a pistol effectively. Anything less than a head shot or a solid hit on the central nervous system depends heavily on the target's state of mind upon being hit. Some subjects will keel over from a hit with a .22LR, others can take 10x .45ACP and still keep going. Note that LATER they may die from secondary causes such as blood loss, but an immediate stop requires a solid hit to a critical system.

Most pistol rounds - even when shot from rifle platforms - can't even touch rifles in terms of velocity and energy. This is an inherent limitation of short straight walled cases used by most pistols and even necked cartridges can only squeeze out so much more (see 7.62x25mm). The key advantage a sub-gun or carbine firing a pistol cartridge gives is increased accuracy and slightly improved velocity.

Rifle rounds are a different ball game altogether, offering much greater energy, power, and accuracy against pistol rounds. Even then, they must follow the rules of physics the same as anything else. 5.45x39 and 7.62x39 for example are not poor cartridges, but optimized for engagement distances within 300m. The 5.45x39 round is known to be a poorer performer compared to the 7.62x39 round; both rounds fall out in terms of performance against the 5.56x45 round. Out of a typical carbine, all three rounds have poor performance out beyond 300m. This gets worse as the barrel gets shorter, with both 5.56 and 5.45 suffering beyond 100m with barrels shorter than 10". Unfortunately the game does not reflect the velocity difference that occurs with different barrel lengths.

So what's changed? From my observations, beyond the typical range of 300m the 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 weapons are no longer laser rifles unaffected by atmospheric conditions and fluid drag. The AKM especially feels more like the two examples I own in terms of accuracy and handling from various distances in addition to the overall power. Pistols do not feel as though they've changed much except that they are no longer one shot kill weapons from all hits and now require proper aiming to score a critical hit.

And for you nay sayers, YES I know the effects of various rifle rounds and pistol rounds on living things. No, I will not elaborate on that.

ETA: Check the difference between an open tip and a hollow point bullet. They are not the same.

What would be really nice is if the game measured the distance between the barrel memory points and could effect bullet trajectory based on that. What would also be nice is if you could define how much powder is in the casing in the ammunition class, letting the engine do all of the calculations. It would probably be pretty performance hungry though. Maybe if there was some sort of caching system that saved the ballistic properties in RAM.

I'm just wondering, is the setting Object Detail now set by the server? I've noticed that setting Object Detail in a multiplayer game doesn't have any effect anymore, and it seems to be always set on Very High even though I haven't tested this.

To those who don't know, the command is basically changing 'sceneComplexity', and that sets the max number of polygons that can be drawn in a screen ( lower values = less objects shown over a longer view distance). Thus, less FPS on your computer if it is locked to show all objects in your view (very high) in multiplayer. If this is so then it could be the source of some peopel's LOD and lower FPS issues (note: I haven't had such issues myself).

Edited by Leg

Played with 1.62 for a few days now - can't see any problems with it. The new settings improve the game as you have to work harder to kill and the AI are more devious and use cover better. You can no longer shoot an AI once in the big toe and watch him fall down dead, that's an improvement. The Multiplayer aspects are a great improvement too. No more desync on player connect. Talking of pistols, I remember a story of a guy being robbed in SA. They decided to kill him and he had the presence of mind to cross his arms over his chest, the light calibre rounds, .22 or .38 were stopped by his forearms and he escaped before they could reload. Luckily they didn't aim for his head lol.

@Franze

Of course, you are mostly right but pistols were never OHK (except revolver maybe) and there was and is not any proper aiming with them since they all have too much random spread too soon. A bit more damage helped with that. Now, it is more realistic in terms of damage but in combo with random spread it renders pistols even less effective. Random spread should be removed or minimized to have an effect on longer range then now. All weapons in A2 have random spread after certain range but it starts way too soon for pistols. Oh, by the way, 1911 sights are still misaligned. Theres that as well.

Im still looking for the linux server binary, anyone seen one?

Edited by [LB] boggler

I got some extreme LOD switching with the new patch.

Same problem here.

Intel i2600K @5 GHZ

ASUS 2011 Rampage IV GENE X79

16GB Corsair XMS3 Dominator DDR1866

Gainward GeForce GTX 680 Phantom, 2GB GDDR5

Intel SSD 520

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Edited by Mike-USA

I've experienced a few crash lockups ever since 1.62, haven't been able to figure out the error yet because the system is too frozen to be able view the error.

Overall the framerates are much better and the new AA options are awesome. I can really crank up the image quality without a major loss of FPS.

Edit: Ran Arma 2 several times now in the editor and crashes every single time. No longer seems to lockup/bog down the system anymore but

can't run it anymore then a couple minutes before it crashes with the send report to MS popup.

Some of the crashes are proceded by a graphical glitch of stretched triangles across the screen. GPU temps remain normal. Well under 40C

Like this but across the full screen. http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/49740-graphical-bugs/page__st__20#entry476907

Edited by jblackrupert

in the last day i read already the same new updates for windowserver at version 1.62, but where is the new announced update for linux? are the linuxhoster not important? most of the people which are online before the dayz mod are intruced was playing on linux dedicated too, most of the clans have a linux server for many reasons, like the low costs, stability, reliability and at least they are more secure than windows server.

but its not important, only more than thousand people wait for a linux patch 1.62 and exactly these thousand people was there at at time before dayz, and played arma 2 where it was not as good running as it is now.

would be great if i can get a answer, when the patch for linux probably would be release.

@jblackrupert: It has to be something with DayZ mod. I also have those artifacts near Lopatino airport and run 1.60 still. When I go to editor or join any MP server without DayZ artifacts are gone.

Edited by Alan_HR

Hey Guys Whats the best PPA setting in you guys opinion? I have everything else set to max except view distance and atoc for all tress and grass.

in the last day i read already the same new updates for windowserver at version 1.62, but where is the new announced update for linux? are the linuxhoster not important? most of the people which are online before the dayz mod are intruced was playing on linux dedicated too, most of the clans have a linux server for many reasons, like the low costs, stability, reliability and at least they are more secure than windows server.

but its not important, only more than thousand people wait for a linux patch 1.62 and exactly these thousand people was there at at time before dayz, and played arma 2 where it was not as good running as it is now.

would be great if i can get a answer, when the patch for linux probably would be release.

signed !

Yes, I too have gotten quite confused with the myriad of AA settings now available. Especially as several of them can be used together. Is there any discussion what's the best use of different settings in conjuntion with each other? I see that AtoC ALL grass and trees does improve FPS. Does anyone else know what some of the others do?

regarding: Bug #38717: [1.62] pistol damage nerf

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/38717

a) the dayZ DB overview is not fully correct unless dayZ itself already has modified weapon damage (mp5, some pistols)

b) the actual changes can be seen here: http://www.editgrid.com/user/kju/1.60_-_1.62_weapon_damage

c) to me looking at the ammo caliber the changes seem to make perfect sense

d) only the AK SD ammo was forgotten to be adjusted alongside

@jblackrupert: It has to be something with DayZ mod. I also have those artifacts near Lopatino airport and run 1.60 still. When I go to editor or join any MP server without DayZ artifacts are gone.

It's not the DayZ mod, I don't even have it installed.

The beta patch has the same problem and it does not matter where you are on the map, the artifacts will appear anywhere.

I got the artifiacts in 1.60 also. but just for less then a second and very rarely, playing for hours with no problem. 1.62 introduced the crashing.

Update: Updated to the Nvidia 301.42 driver, the crashes and artifacts have appear to have dissapeared. could be just getting lucky though.

Edited by jblackrupert

It's not the DayZ mod, I don't even have it installed.

The beta patch has the same problem and it does not matter where you are on the map, the artifacts will appear anywhere.

I got the artifiacts in 1.60 also. but just for less then a second and very rarely, playing for hours with no problem. 1.62 introduced the crashing.

Update: Updated to the Nvidia 301.42 driver, the crashes and artifacts have appear to have dissapeared. could be just getting lucky though.

For me no crash, same update of the drivers for my GTX285, but the artifacts are present. I noticed it after the 1.62 update, they appear after a while, not at the beginning of the game, only when I point the look at some direction, maybe staring directly at the direction of the sun or at the main light source I suppose.

The artifacts looks like flat intersecting surfaces and makes impossible to see anything in the direction where they appears so I be forced to leave the game.

You can calulcate it yourself with the formula used:

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/38717

Yeah, based on that calculation they have roughly the same energy, so I guess it makes sense.

I kind of wonder about the M9 vs M9SD, though, as they are both showing the same damage, but doesn't SD use sub-sonic ammo which has less energy?

.45 and 9mm cannot be the same, thats just ridiculous. Watch ballistic testing via tnoutdoors on youtube as see how much they differ in penetration. .45 stops in the body whereas the 9mm is a through and through. .45 should be upped to 7 or something. Fuck the formula :)