Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead / Combined Operations / Reinforcements update 1.62

The added parameters in video options has helped dramatically increase the quality of game visuals. The trees are not lod switching a whole lot either and much smoother transitions between lods.

Wow, this patch is great so far, Chernarus looks very different now with the sharpness of vegetation. Also I noticed the contrast and lighting of overcast/storm and night time is alot more natural.

Thank you BIS!

I for one, say thanks for nothing.

You've released how many patches for ArmA, and you still insist on releasing client updates before server updates? Why the hell can't you WAIT until you have server binaries available for all platforms before releasing client updates and screwing your customers over?

Are you going to continue screwing this up with ArmA3? Please tell me now so I can steer clear of your products from here on out. There's no excuse for this kind of face-palming behavior. Release client/server together, or don't release it at all. Those of us who TRIED to tell Steam NOT TO UPDATE the damn game STILL got updated, and now cannot play on our own linux servers. We had an operation planned for this Saturday which we now CANNOT DO because half our group has 1.62 and can't downgrade, and the server can't be brought up to 1.62.

Thanks for nothing.

I for one, say thanks for nothing.

You've released how many patches for ArmA, and you still insist on releasing client updates before server updates? Why the hell can't you WAIT until you have server binaries available for all platforms before releasing client updates and screwing your customers over?

Are you going to continue screwing this up with ArmA3? Please tell me now so I can steer clear of your products from here on out. There's no excuse for this kind of face-palming behavior. Release client/server together, or don't release it at all. Those of us who TRIED to tell Steam NOT TO UPDATE the damn game STILL got updated, and now cannot play on our own linux servers. We had an operation planned for this Saturday which we now CANNOT DO because half our group has 1.62 and can't downgrade, and the server can't be brought up to 1.62.

Thanks for nothing.

Of course, games companies that don't care about their customers and never maintain or upgrade their games are more customer friendly to the MP crowd :icon_ohmygod:

Well, not releasing a buggy game in the first place is a good start. And yes, not releasing updates at all actually allows the MP crowd to play together, because they all have the same version between CLIENTS and SERVERS.

Well, not releasing a buggy game in the first place is a good start. And yes, not releasing updates at all actually allows the MP crowd to play together, because they all have the same version between CLIENTS and SERVERS.

Great, i'm sure you can find plenty of let down's games around.

I'm sorry that my fanboy glasses broke and I cannot reasonably defend the practice of FORCING updates on Steam customer who now have NO F***ING WAY of playing on dedicated Linux servers until BIS fixes this screwup. In case you aren't aware, even DELETING the entire goddamn game and trying to reinstall as a Steam user means we'll DOWNLOAD 1.62 AUTOMATICALLY.

Of course, the simplest solution here is to release the 1.62 CLIENT AND SERVER binaries at the same time. Explain to me how it's ok to **** that up? I'd really love to hear your justification.

Do i get it right that the install requires 1.60vanilla to update? So I cant update from 1.62RC? No probs just clarification needed please

I'm sorry that my fanboy glasses broke and I cannot reasonably defend the practice of FORCING updates on Steam customer who now have NO F***ING WAY of playing on dedicated Linux servers until BIS fixes this screwup. In case you aren't aware, even DELETING the entire goddamn game and trying to reinstall as a Steam user means we'll DOWNLOAD 1.62 AUTOMATICALLY.

Of course, the simplest solution here is to release the 1.62 CLIENT AND SERVER binaries at the same time. Explain to me how it's ok to **** that up? I'd really love to hear your justification.

You could disable the auto-update on Steam.

This happened in all last big updates, why all the drama now?

1) Steam was told not to keep OA up to date, and it did so anyway.

2) The practice of releasing client updates before server binaries are available for the dedicated servers (all platforms) is NOT something that should happen twice, let alone every time.

BIS making this their status quo is beyond idiotic. My group had an operation scheduled this Saturday - our server is Linux and hosted hundreds of miles away in a data center. Now we have no Op this Saturday. Their answer of "install WINE" is bull**** when it should be released WITH the client update in the first place.

Also waiting on the linux 1.62 server for several well populated servers.

- We are telling all DO NOT UPDATE until the servers have been updated.

- We understand linux server is low priority, but an update on ~date/exact time would be nice. :D lolz

Love ya BIS!

---------- Post added at 22:57 ---------- Previous post was at 22:50 ----------

I have 2 systems with Steam versions ... both systems ignored the "Do Not Keep Updated" option. I had to manually pause both, so if you don't realize it is updating and you say ... go to work. Your screwed.

I am not mad because I stopped it but I can see how it could make things crappy for some.

I get some extremely annoying LOD switching with this patch. There is no difference at all between 'very high' and 'normal' in the objects detail setting anymore...

Edited by sk3pt

I get some extremely annoying LOD switching with this patch. There is no difference at all between 'very high' and 'normal' in the objects detail setting anymore...

Have you set the Video Memory option to 'Default'? That fixed some odd flickering for me.

As I said in the 1.62 server thread, all I'm majorly p!ssed off about is the p!ss-poor communication that 1.62 was coming out!!!!

Seriously, 1.61 beta has had half a dozen builds in the past two weeks, then 1.61RC was dumped right in the middle of that, then all of a sudden with no friggen warning 1.62 just appears. From nowhere. No warning, nothing.

All that was required from the devs was something along the lines of "1.62 is due for release in a few days, as Linux won't be supported on release, please make sure auto-updates are turned off yada yada yada". Even though Steam is a steaming pile of sh!t when it comes to such options, and 99% of the time it updates regardless of whether you've told it not to.

Seriously, with the extra revenue p!ssing in from DayZ-induced sales, I would have thought it wouldn't be such a hassle to get all your ducks in a row prior to release. Hell, delay the release of 1.62 a week! I'm mainly surprised due to the fact that it takes time to push patches through Steam, you guys obviously knew when you were going to release it some time ago.

Have you set the Video Memory option to 'Default'? That fixed some odd flickering for me.

There is a huge difference between some "flickering" and heavy LOD switching. The video memory option may ease some of this unpleasant flickering, but it obviously depends on the hardware. I moved from GTX260 to GTX460 to GTX570 and tried all settings w/o any success. I live with it, but LOD switching is worse....

My game doesn't seem to switch as bad as yours CHB68, in fact I am very happy with the performance of 1.62.

I wonder why not everyone is seeing this LOD switching issue, I would be annoying if it was like your video a few pages back I must say. I assume you did all the basic stuff like deleting your ARMA2OA.cfg and defrag using contig or something similar?

Yeah just move the mission(s) out of your arma install folder and try running the game. The error you are getting is due to a typo (I assume) in a description.ext file which actually crashes the game (as opposed to script errors which just show on the screen if you have the parameter enabled)

BINGO! That did it! Thanks, guys. Much appreciated.

If anybody else has this problem, do this:

Take ALL your missions out and put them aside. If there are any you want to keep, you will have to put back a few at a time and start the game. If you get the crash, then it's one of those missions causing it. You know what to do from there to trouble shoot it down to the exact game.

Good job BIS, Focusing on one MOD which most of the changlog applies to DayZ, and pretty much say screw the people who don't play DayZ, it has messed up the entire game. Why rush the patch? Frame rates have bombed out for me, I have a I5 2500 K OC 4.5 GHZ with a 560 TI with the most updated driver, 16 Gigs of Rip Jaw memory, running on a SSD, I was getting 75 FPS on Chernarus on EDITOR now Im only getting 35 frames after this patch, game starts up in options menu??????

I have bought EVERY Arma game and expansion, I have purchased from BIS since Operation Flash Point 2001, and after this I don't even want to mess with anymore BIS products and you will get someone on here saying well don't act like this over one patch.... It is not over one patch, this is complete BS. Someone buys their product they are suppose to produce a product and why would I spend money on something that doesn't work anymore? That's being stupid if you ask me. I know a community right now that is saying they demand Arma 3 for free because of putting up with all of this. We spend our own personal money on servers and because of this stupid patch for DayZ, the ones of us who play regular military simulator Arma 2 can't play now. This is the worst thing I have ever seen happen to Arma 2 and the arma series. Our community is voting to go back to 1.60 until you all get your act together at BIS. The community leader told me to tell you all were voting to go back to Mine craft because of the 1.62 patch. This is horrible. Great work guys.

Edited by navy198523

That was difficult to read, please press shifT+enter a few times to space your paragraphs next time, please.

What video options are you running on? Low options move cycling towards the CPU while high options move it to the GPU, so if you have shadows on low then your processor is doing the work whereas on high/very high, video card takes over. I don't think that Arma 2 utilizes multi cores very well if at all either, so if that is the case then you should explore that.

That was difficult to read, please press shifT+enter a few times to space your paragraphs next time, please.

What video options are you running on? Low options move cycling towards the CPU while high options move it to the GPU, so if you have shadows on low then your processor is doing the work whereas on high/very high, video card takes over. I don't think that Arma 2 utilizes multi cores very well if at all either, so if that is the case then you should explore that.

None of this matters to me anymore, all I know, the game ran fine before this patch. Now game runs horribly and it's not just me. If BIS would take the time and read what people are posting about this new patch then they would know it DOES NOT WORK.

When I save a single player mission with the mission editor (export to single player missions) it does not generate a *.pbo. It does also not see previously saved single player missions in AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\Missions. Is this a bug?

Ever since this patch, I crash every time I start up with any kind of overlay on (TeamSpeak, video recorder framerate counter). I have to load the game, then tab out and start the applications.

the patch seems to run fine on my system but i have been updating to every beta except the last 2 weeks trying to fine tune BattleZone to use the new commands

then 1.62 pops out of no where so i think great something stable to release BZ V7 only to find AI work differently in 1.62 to the betas -- large waste of time AGAIN -- i would love it if i only had to write a script once and

when it worked its done - sadly not the case.

for thos who know what im talking about - did we skip 1.61 because thats when CMP was promised once again.

Good job BIS, Focusing on one MOD which most of the changlog applies to DayZ

i did think this was a military sim and when i was in the military i dont remember training to fight zombies :)

things like broken animations and links to sound files that dont exist have never been fixed since day one , how about fixing the broken stuff before you release more broken stuff.

i think this is the time to request once again

LET US BE ABLE TO DISABLE REACTION FSMS

and create our own - the ones in the game limit its potential in a major way-

70% of scripting is geting around lame reactions - well mine anyway

overall thoughts

add the new commands to 1.60 and call it 1.63

and add CMP as promised to thos who stuck it out - as they did most of your testing for you

Great release no problems on my system :)