Sign in to follow this  
Joseph Archer

Bailing out and have been refunded

We are definitely maintaining the end of september as the release date. A new beta build is being made so that players of the PnC program don't have to play a half-year old version, and so we gather extra bits of feedback prior to the release.

Thanks for the info

** adds official patches section ;)

[]. :)

Thank you for the info, finally word from the dev team.

When the new beta is released, I will sure report bugs again. At least if I can find any at all :)

It might be wise to make a new sticky in this forum with the message a new beta is coming.

When the new beta is out, I would also make a sticky announcement in this forum that the new beta is out.

Thanks for the information!

How fast time is flowing... It's already half a year, and i still remember how i tested first beta build and writed to bug tracker =)

Any bugs found in the Beta will most likely be addressed in patches, as we are very near release. This may come as either a zero-day patch or a patch later on. Either way, hopefully there will be no bugs to patch :) As for feature suggestions and ideas, those will be taken in for consideration.

We are nearing Gold. As was said, the end of September is final, so any further fixes will appear in a patch, which is why any new feedback is of course highly appreciated.

We're dealing with a lot of PC-specific issues at this point, such as mouse-lag and similar things. Any that don't make it into the release build will be added in a patch thereafter. Fixed issues regarding the Xbox version will of course be featured directly on the disc, so we've dealt with these as much as possible. As is known about Bohemia Interactive, we do try to support our games as much as possible. :)

Hmmm, that´s different how the original game "Carrier Command" by Rainbird was sold. Just Kidding. Thanks for your efforts to make a better Carrier Command. I waited for a long time for this. (oh, god: since 1980s ?? is that real ? ) I will be patient and wait. Bye.

One wish I have. Could you create a cheat mode ? Could you do that ? Man, that would be great. Either way. Thanks for your responses and your time.

For those who have not been at gamescom I assure you that Carriercommand is a really awesome game. I would give the final game a try before i would demand my money back.

Actually I helped out at the gamescom Stand of Bohemia and most players have been very satisfied with the game.

One wish I have. Could you create a cheat mode ? Could you do that ? Man, that would be great. Either way. Thanks for your responses and your time.

Something to consider for an editing version I guess :) We'll see after release, but cheats are more or less a must for an editing build.

Something to consider for an editing version I guess :) We'll see after release, but cheats are more or less a must for an editing build.

If an editor version would be released in the future, what would that editor version entail?

If an editor version would be released in the future, what would that editor version entail?

Difficult to say to be honest, however the world, particle, sound, and script editor would surely be a part of it.

So I bought the game last night, and it has MUCH potential. I understand this is only a Beta version, but in the full version will there be the option to have larger maps, more AI Carriers (IE Allies/2+ enemies etc). Will we be able to choose between APA and UEC or are we fixed on UEC?

Also my main question, will there be a multiplayer option (Skirmish etc)? I think a game like this would most definitely NEED a multiplayer option to reach its full potential, but thats just me (I like playing with others, shooting them up and having a laugh when I fail :) )

33 Islands. No more carriers, no choice, probably no MP (according to what I heard in last interviews).

Well, as they have said, this is an updated version of the original. If you've played the original you'd understand the one vs one carrier and the lack of multiplay. I guess you should try the original from www.abandonia.com (page 2 under strategy in games section) and then you'd see how much this game is going to be great.

even if MP wasnt in the original, that was years ago, and MP is now a big/major thing. You can only do so much against an AI before they start repeating themselves (IE waiting 20 minutes before attacking an island etc).

And yes its an updated version, meaning they could add MP to the game, as the original was released Decades ago when MP wasn't a huge thing. Now it is, so why not update the game to match current/modern specs + add other things to it such as MP? I just don't see the point in making an exact (or near enough) replica of a game from 20-30 years ago. Then again I'm not one to care for graphics so maybe thats it.

I've not actually played the original (and tbh, I don't want to, I rarely play any game before 2000, let alone 90s on top of which I've apparently bought a graphically updated replica anyway) but either way it just makes no sense to not add MP, or LAN at least.

Maybe MP comes later for the egoshooter perspective... Not that I would need it. I would like a intelligent Artificial Opponent much more. My connection is very slow and no LAN at my place. :-(

Other Topic: I do not care how the cheat mode will be made as long there is at least one. Scripting is not very interesting for me. Just some code-words that unlocks some features instantly would do for me. Maybe a triggerword for a godmode or similar.

MP has not - as of last I heard - been ruled out. It is likely to be added in a later patch if the decision is made. It should be noted that BI has stated they are going to make the game somewhat moddable going forward as well - which increases its lifespan and attractiveness significantly.

even if MP wasnt in the original, that was years ago, and MP is now a big/major thing. You can only do so much against an AI before they start repeating themselves (IE waiting 20 minutes before attacking an island etc).

And yes its an updated version, meaning they could add MP to the game, as the original was released Decades ago when MP wasn't a huge thing. Now it is, so why not update the game to match current/modern specs + add other things to it such as MP? I just don't see the point in making an exact (or near enough) replica of a game from 20-30 years ago. Then again I'm not one to care for graphics so maybe thats it.

I've not actually played the original (and tbh, I don't want to, I rarely play any game before 2000, let alone 90s on top of which I've apparently bought a graphically updated replica anyway) but either way it just makes no sense to not add MP, or LAN at least.

Please do not think we intentionally did not add multiplayer. It is a time-related issue, where implementing multiplayer in a game such as this would take a long time. It may seem simple when you start up a game and press multiplayer, but the technical aspects behind client-server communication and simulation are far from simple. As I've said before, we do want multiplayer and if the game is successful then it is definitely something we would be considering.

MP has not - as of last I heard - been ruled out. It is likely to be added in a later patch if the decision is made. It should be noted that BI has stated they are going to make the game somewhat moddable going forward as well - which increases its lifespan and attractiveness significantly.

Yes, we have made a very strong move to making the game more moddable. This means you will be able to add custom maps, mess around with weapon settings etc.

if the game is successful then it is definitely something we would be considering.

Hmmm. ''Considering'' ... ''if successful''.

What do you consider ''successful''? Ie. at what number of copies sold does multi-player become a commitment from you? Because, to be honest, the above reads like ''it's unlikely we'll do multiplayer''.

Doing Multiplayer is not simply a matter of plugging in a cable. You have to decide how the computers will communicate with one another, how you will share the information of each and every unit in the game between the computers in real time, and more importantly how you will hide information from each player. That might sound simple but that's a hell of a lot of programming work. TO put it another way, each and every multiplayer Mod for Bethsedias games (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim) has stalled, because the networking involved for doing anything bar "You can see the other player" is just too complex.

I'd rather have a good singleplayer experiance that works rather than wait another 6 months for a multiplayer experience that doesn't, to be honest.

also the varying scales of the game would easily cause design difficulties. for example what would happen if one player was attacking an island and the other wanted to sail to another island. in SP that problem is solved with Timewarp, but in MP that isn't a possibility, so does the second player just have to watch his ship sail for 15 minutes? does the other player have to "wait" while his travel occurs?

also the fact the carriers ever meeting is a rare occurance,and would most likely end the game after such a meeting, as it would take rare circumstances for pursuit of a damaged carrier to not be a top priority for a player, so whoever came top of the initial clash would have a grand advantage. and would you consider it a "fun" MP experience if you fought your friend for a measly few moments, seeing nothing else of his presence but islands changing colour from blue->red

Co-op negates a lot of issues, as the enemy carrier is still AI, but how do you balance the enemy carrier with that? do you let it cheat? do you limit the players in some capacity?

a lot of big questions need to be answered, and a lot of the core mechanics that Carrier command runs on would require a drastic rethink to make a viable MP system. so I can quite understand how they might want to do it post release, and after they know the game has backing, because it's not cheap to do drastic rethinks of game concepts, especially in later development lifecycles, any company will want to make sure it's worth the cost.

Doing Multiplayer is not simply a matter of plugging in a cable. You have to decide how the computers will communicate with one another, how you will share the information of each and every unit in the game between the computers in real time, and more importantly how you will hide information from each player. That might sound simple but that's a hell of a lot of programming work. TO put it another way, each and every multiplayer Mod for Bethsedias games (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim) has stalled, because the networking involved for doing anything bar "You can see the other player" is just too complex.

I'd rather have a good singleplayer experiance that works rather than wait another 6 months for a multiplayer experience that doesn't, to be honest.

I agree in all your points. I think if MP wasn't added from the ground up, which is the case, we will either never see it or it will be crappy. Why should a company add much complexity and pain AFTER the game has been sold? I'm pretty sure adding a MP mode to CC will not gain the same success like DayZ added to Arma :D

Making the SP interesting and non-repetetive should be the main goal.

I agree in all your points. I think if MP wasn't added from the ground up, which is the case, we will either never see it or it will be crappy. Why should a company add much complexity and pain AFTER the game has been sold? I'm pretty sure adding a MP mode to CC will not gain the same success like DayZ added to Arma :D

Making the SP interesting and non-repetetive should be the main goal.

I agree with you on the SP element, my guess would be that MP will be added if the sales are high enough to warrant further DLC & development on the SP elements as well as the (presumably free) MP.

G

I followed the last two post. I think Carrier Command is a sort of game that resambles a Chess game, you put your units to control some areas (the islands) and at the end you can put that much pressure (velocity of refuel with units and weapons and of course fuel) on the other player that he is checkmate.

A MP mode would mean to have control an any piece, for everyone in the internet. I prefer this Single Player as it is now, but with a stronger artificial intelligence.

And another thing is, what I like in my games: The statistics !! You know what I mean, how many units lost for invading, or how much percent efficency I used in invading a island. And so on. You could interchange these statistics with other players and make a race who is more efficient. I like that more than that nonsense chat, like, "how is the weather at your place", while I am engaging a island. I never played MP. Though I tried it with Test Drive Unlimited 2, it wasn´t very convincing there, you should only see, the gfx bugs there when you enter online mode. The cars are half under the road and running like cartoons of the worst kind. Maybe at 15 frames per second, while losing 5 frames in the process.

No please, please, stick to this original concept, one carrier against an PC carrier and finito. If you want MP look somewhere else.... or maybe wait for a fantasy title like: Command Carrier: Multiplayer Online Edition

Edited by Antares

And another thing is, what I like in my games: The statistics !! You know what I mean, how many units lost for invading, or how much percent efficency I used in invading a island. And so on.

this.

Where is this new beta then? It's been about two years now, we have all got grey in our beards waiting. :p

this.

Hello tortuosit, I am not sure what you tried to write or maybe I simply not understood this message.

Therefore I am trying to go in much more detail in what I described as "stats": In the free strategy

game, a stats screen could be of course only appear at the end of the game. Because I would like to have

a free roamable environment, without interruption from island to island. Just like in the recent beta.

But in the campaign mode, this could be by far more interesting, if the campaign is, if I am right,

separated in a fight island for island and defensive mechanisms that become different and harder from

one island to the next than an stats screen could be inserted after every, level that you succesfully or

not successfully ended.

Like this screen I borrowed from the game Hostile Waters. http://flic.kr/p/d3PvJj

Of course the plot of Hostile Waters is different and the gameplay is different very much, too. Perhaps

the fun in Hostile Waters is the constant chatter from the enemy that, reports when you hurt him, and

when you de facto immobilised him. And the superb voices on your side, make one part of the fun. Talking

almost constantly during they perform the preprogrammed tasks or as wingman side by side with you. It

reminds me the old Fight Simulators, like Falcon by Spectrum/Holobyte or F14 Fleet Defender, F15 Strike Eagle by

Microprose. All running on MS-DOS. Or maybe Wing Commander Series and on and on....

An assimilation of the techniques of Hostile Waters to this Carrier Command, like programmed chips, is

not recommended, I think, because here the storyboard says "its about colonisation, because earth needs

resources", therefore dead soldiers inprisoned on chips that fight for you, are not very convincing,

for "our campaign". If we should have a talking crew, than a living one. In the beta, there is already a

hint, giving us advise about how to act, altough in the beta, without any real need to follow

their oppinions, because, we can overwhelm the enemy if we set settings at the beginning right. That

should be corrected, too.

When one crewman, says, "it is not good to fight because the wheater is bad" and the other "a soldier

and our equipment is capable to fight on any circumstances", the whole dialog becomes a little dumb. But

of course this is just the beta, and I hope the dialogs are better in the gold stage.

Edited by Antares