Sign in to follow this  
liamlight

GTX 560 Ti bottleneck - Extremely low FPS.

Agreed on Speedstep doing its thing. You have VSync set to off in game, what about your actual GPU profile for the game? Have you set that to force off as well? Whatever program you are using to launch Arma with, is it set to run as administrator?

Yes and it is now.

ok right now got fps to compare I'd say you have some serious malfunction may be somewhere around hardware level.

If someone will bring me such pc to fix what I will do:

1.check thermal paste between cpu and cpu cooling system + check all fans for graphic cards etc,chipset heatsinks etc.

2.Update win to SP1 download and install all updates except may be one ending on 1033,including ALL updates belongs to hardware drivers.

3.Check and updated bios if needed.

Also I'm notice some bug with double monitor.If you connect 2 monitors windows 7 still think that you have them both even you use 1.

Unfortunately I'm never try to check what is wrong exactly but it might effect you.

Also in your arma setting interface resolution show as windowed I never saw it as well. From my experience all windowed works very laggy.try to set your native resolution in that settings.

ok right now got fps to compare I'd say you have some serious malfunction may be somewhere around hardware level.

If someone will bring me such pc to fix what I will do:

1.check thermal paste between cpu and cpu cooling system + check all fans for graphic cards etc,chipset heatsinks etc.

2.Update win to SP1 download and install all updates except may be one ending on 1033,including ALL updates belongs to hardware drivers.

3.Check and updated bios if needed.

Also I'm notice some bug with double monitor.If you connect 2 monitors windows 7 still think that you have them both even you use 1.

Unfortunately I'm never try to check what is wrong exactly but it might effect you.

Also in your arma setting interface resolution show as windowed I never saw it as well. From my experience all windowed works very laggy.try to set your native resolution in that settings.

I blame the temperature of my CPU on thermal paste most likely, too. I am isntalling watercooling soon, i have it ready to put on but not too sure how to do it right now.

---------- Post added at 14:09 ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 ----------

Im getting annoyed that my GPU usage is good on the player list menu but as soon as i press OK to load in boom 3%-10% usage from a good 40+

I have been reading this post , in the past i have had some problems with my computer , once i found i could run some programs very well and others not to well , it came to a point where i was about to upgrade but first i decided to check all connections in my computer , i found that my heatsink and fan was not connection properly , just one clip from one side of my heatsink was creating the problems .... what i found that help most for arma was ( page filing ) only being set to my fastest harddrive , which wasn't the hard drive my OS and game was running from , now i also use ram disk just for the page file , as you said in your other posts that other games run fine , i think your page is set to the drive arma is running from with only so much memory left on that drive , i believe it would create problems also having the page file coming from the same drive with so little memory left on that drive ....

I have been reading this post , in the past i have had some problems with my computer , once i found i could run some programs very well and others not to well , it came to a point where i was about to upgrade but first i decided to check all connections in my computer , i found that my heatsink and fan was not connection properly , just one clip from one side of my heatsink was creating the problems .... what i found that help most for arma was ( page filing ) only being set to my fastest harddrive , which wasn't the hard drive my OS and game was running from , now i also use ram disk just for the page file , as you said in your other posts that other games run fine , i think your page is set to the drive arma is running from with only so much memory left on that drive , i believe it would create problems also having the page file coming from the same drive with so little memory left on that drive ....

Would a heatsink affect my performance though? Only my C: (SSD) has the page-filing on.

Already tried

---------- Post added at 21:47 ---------- Previous post was at 20:36 ----------

heres a video clip of me recording ingame, THIS IS HIGHER FPS THAN I USUALLY GET for a strange reason

(liamlight) If it makes you feel better i have a similar problem. I too have tried various tweaks and i get an increase between 2 & 7 FPS by reducing from V High to those as listed on the post (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...66#post2081466). Which to me is an irrelevant increase, my GTX 590 is shown as using between 15% & 20% so i can only assume some issue somewhere but i cannot find it.

My CPU temp never gets above 50c and i recently changed the thermal paste (i have a water cooler). NB & SB temps never move above 52c and i have extra fans fitted on these. I also have RAM fans fitted, and two case fans - basically temperature is not the reason.

Using 3DMarkVantage i get good results; for those in the know my average FPS in Jane Nash is 75ish and the results were; P26514 3DMarks Graphics Score 27885 CPU Score 23107. During these test the GPU's were running at 98%+ as you would expect for a 3D Benchmark program.

So back to your question which i would also like to see an answer for; why do i only get GPU usage figures of 15% - 20% which is obviously the reason for low frame rates?

(liamlight) If it makes you feel better i have a similar problem. I too have tried various tweaks and i get an increase between 2 & 7 FPS by reducing from V High to those as listed on the post (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...66#post2081466). Which to me is an irrelevant increase, my GTX 590 is shown as using between 15% & 20% so i can only assume some issue somewhere but i cannot find it.

My CPU temp never gets above 50c and i recently changed the thermal paste (i have a water cooler). NB & SB temps never move above 52c and i have extra fans fitted on these. I also have RAM fans fitted, and two case fans - basically temperature is not the reason.

Using 3DMarkVantage i get good results; for those in the know my average FPS in Jane Nash is 75ish and the results were; P26514 3DMarks Graphics Score 27885 CPU Score 23107. During these test the GPU's were running at 98%+ as you would expect for a 3D Benchmark program.

So back to your question which i would also like to see an answer for; why do i only get GPU usage figures of 15% - 20% which is obviously the reason for low frame rates?

In a way it does make me feel better but then again how can i when a friend with a lower pc have better frames>.<

I see your problem ‘liamlight’ in the video (terrible).:(

Its probably not going to help, but here it is anyway, my target line reads, at the mo:

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\Expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe" -beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -nosplash -nofilepatching -skipintro -winxp -world=empty -cpucount=4 -maxmem=2047 -name=Chris B etc……. Then the mods, of which there are lots…

Gpu usage on 2000vd in heavy areas is usually between 85-99% (for some reason never shows 100%) but does in msi. View distance increased to quite high i.e. 7000, will lower gpu usage a lot (cpu picks up the bill), but never really drops below 50%.

:)

Its probably not going to help, but here it is anyway, my target line reads, at the mo:

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\Expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe" -beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -nosplash -nofilepatching -skipintro -winxp -world=empty -cpucount=4 -maxmem=2047 -name=Chris B etc……. Then the mods, of which there are lots…

Gpu usage on 2000vd in heavy areas is usually between 85-99% (for some reason never shows 100%) but does in msi. View distance increased to quite high i.e. 7000, will lower gpu usage a lot (cpu picks up the bill), but never really drops below 50%.

I've added nofilepatching and world=empty we'll see what it does

---------- Post added at 16:23 ---------- Previous post was at 15:50 ----------

Again fps seems higher but around 10 people on the server

I still think that you got hardware problem with your pc,not settings.

I had 25-50 fps while using first dual core 2006 motherboard with slower graphic card 4870x2 and intel 955 chipset.

Did you checked bios version?

Do you check cooling system ?

Is the graphic card have additional power cable connected ?

I still think that you got hardware problem with your pc,not settings.

I had 25-50 fps while using first dual core 2006 motherboard with slower graphic card 4870x2 and intel 955 chipset.

Did you checked bios version?

Do you check cooling system ?

Is the graphic card have additional power cable connected ?

I still have yet to install the watercooling, ill check the power cable when i do so.

weird anway. probably termal throttling impact or dodgy [resource-hogging]system-level/kernel-level thingy, interfering with gaming.

try w/o "-winxp" 1st cuz its strictly workaround[for troubleshooting]switch.

also try impact of "-vm108" switch and "-noPause".

tried "-noesrb" too ?

tried"-exthreads="set to "7"

how about fitting "-maxVRAM=" to you exact GPU vram size [in megs]too ?

Again fps seems higher but around 10 people on the server

I see your settings in the video, I get a 5-6fps boost by having Texture detail & Video Memory set to ‘Very High’, I know this goes against the grain of popular belief when setting a2 up, but there you go, not sure if its worth a try or if you tried it already.. Also if your having atoc disabled I would do the same with aa, you won’t notice that much difference and it should boost fps. I use AToc=7 and AA=Low, but when you disable atoc its almost like turning aa off, the difference is only slight i.e. skinny tree’s either way in both settings, wire’s and similar may be only slightly better with aa low, but really not that much.

Also if you are using win7 do you have the game in ‘Program Files’ (64bit) or ‘Program Files (x86)’ (32bit), I have it in ‘Program Files’ (64bit), have read that it can help some games out, not sure why..

Just bits and bobs, but you never know..

I see your settings in the video, I get a 5-6fps boost by having Texture detail & Video Memory set to ‘Very High’, I know this goes against the grain of popular belief when setting a2 up, but there you go, not sure if its worth a try or if you tried it already.. Also if your having atoc disabled I would do the same with aa, you won’t notice that much difference and it should boost fps. I use AToc=7 and AA=Low, but when you disable atoc its almost like turning aa off, the difference is only slight i.e. skinny tree’s either way in both settings, wire’s and similar may be only slightly better with aa low, but really not that much.

Also if you are using win7 do you have the game in ‘Program Files’ (64bit) or ‘Program Files (x86)’ (32bit), I have it in ‘Program Files’ (64bit), have read that it can help some games out, not sure why..

Just bits and bobs, but you never know..

Ill try setting it to very high. I have it here "C:\Steam\arma 2 operation arrowhead" as thats on my SSD.

I set up a small scenario one US guy running around Chernogorsk, depending on settings (mostly high) i get about 25-35 FPS depending on the location. Also GPU usage is around 25% 500MB. So i did some further testing which doesn't help but is somewhat strange :confused: In the NVCP i turned everything to ON if Off and also maxed if i could. Then in A2 in the Video Options i selected V High on all etc and also chose the large numerical otpions for the AA etc. I also selected 3D Res at 200% Native ie: 3300x2100. With my one man running around Chernogorsk => both GPU's are at 60%-70% and GPU MEM Usage is 1514MB each, so finally i've got them up and the card is now 'munching' it's way through the maths (Om nom nom nom). However, the FPS is still soemwhere between 20 & 25 !!

So i think i'm missing something or i'm expecting too much from this supposed faster card ever - well when i brought it, it was reported as :p.

The other place maybe to look is my 120Hz monitor, but whether i select 60Hz or 120Hz and change the VSync i'm not making much impression on the FPS.

My PSU is an Everest Pro 1200 and after some fiddling around I have manged to power the card up with three 12v lines from the PSU to provide 60A (well i least i think i have) using "2x6pin to an 8pin adapter" and "1x8pin" - i assume this is fine otherwise the card would not give me the 1514MB MEM usage figure? (On the box it says requires 50A supply). Also connected are two HDD's and one DVD drive. Creative Sound Card, memory and CPU are really the only other loads so i should be well under 1200W.

EDIT: Well while typing other posts come in - interesting ideas will give some of them a go

Edited by MiniGunDad
Other Posts

I have manged to power the card up with three 12v lines from the PSU to provide 60A
60A ?!!!?!!?!?!?!?!??! may be 60watt ?

I think your flat cable have 45a maximum.10A cable give your ability to cook meat in electric oven :)If you connect your pc instead your home fuse box you make nice steak from your computer :)

60A ?!!!?!!?!?!?!?!??! may be 60watt ?

No 60A - three rails each giving 20A thus a total of 60A and as the card is a hungry beast using upto 700w you will understand why (or you don't)! ;)

No 60A - three rails each giving 20A thus a total of 60A and as the card is a hungry beast using upto 700w you will understand why (or you don't)! ;)

Max power draw for one GTX 590 is around 365W and 170W for one GTX 560TI

Max power draw for one GTX 590 is around 365W and 170W for one GTX 560TI

Ok i got my figure wrong; 700w is the PSU required which takes into account other hardware but you can definitely get 500w consumption (http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/03/24/nvidia-geforce-gtx-590-3gb-review/8) even though NVIDIA rate it at 365w. This indicates i need somewhere between 30A & 45A depending on the load. So better to connect it up to more than enough and let it suck what it wants.

This however detracts from the original post and low FPS so can we get back to that?

Back after some PC problems.. tried installing water cooling, didnt fit as the bracket to mount it to CPU isnt there had no thermal paste had to get some and yeah.

Ok i got my figure wrong; 700w is the PSU required which takes into account other hardware but you can definitely get 500w consumption (http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/03/24/nvidia-geforce-gtx-590-3gb-review/8) even though NVIDIA rate it at 365w. This indicates i need somewhere between 30A & 45A depending on the load. So better to connect it up to more than enough and let it suck what it wants.

This however detracts from the original post and low FPS so can we get back to that?

That's 491W AC (power draw from the wall) for the entire system running an artificial benchmark. Comparing the idle 156W to the load 491W gives a rough estimate of 335W for the GPU (although no doubt the CPU is loaded somewhat by the benchmark anyway, so it's less than that). The DC draw on the other side of the PSU, ie how many amps the GPU needs, will be considerably lower but even if we assume it's 335W@12v that's only 27A.