Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery AKA how to make a quick buck...

I never stated that PvP does not work in ArmA or that it is non-existant. I stated that I don't think ArmA was designed with PvP in mind. I like PvP (I play PR every once in a while.), but it just does not work well in ArmA. I would say that a majority of the community could agree as well. If PVP worked well, or if ArmA was designed with PvP in mind, I think we'd be seeing more PvP servers. But we aren't seeing many PvP servers. The PvP numbers are so low that the PvP community in ArmA has been begging Bohemia Interactive to improve the PvP for ArmA III.

Bohemia Interactive must think the same way or they wouldn't be improving the PvP aspects of ArmA III.

I love how slick it looks. No wonky animations or anything. Yes, it may just be a generic FPS game with zombies added it, but it sure looks a hell of a lot more polished than DayZ.

Take a look at this video.

I really can't comprehend any of your points.

Take a look at this. Oh, wow! A PvP animation replacement/enhancement pack! Now he's a developer because of his animation pack. That says something, doesn't it?

What you said was;

the ArmA engine just wasn't made for fast-paced PvP

If you *meant* the arma engine isn't made for bunning hopping, kill streaking, CQB with a Barrett gameplay, then yes, you're right, but I think we're all the better for it.

If you meant, and it's what you wrote, the engine doesn't do fast PvP, then I have to disagree. It does do it. We've all had some really pretty intense close up stuff with other enemy players. In fact, that's the only way you can do this, the AI suck balls at that sort of engagement. Getting the fast paced stuff is as much about getting close in there with a 9mm SMG as it is about the engine.

I said "I don't think ArmA was designed with PvP in mind." I then said "it just does not work well in ArmA." I said it works, it just does not work well.

Which is why Bohemia Interactive is improving it, is it not?

---------- Post added at 04:29 ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 ----------

Also, when I said made in my first post, I meant designed. Same thing.

ArmA engine was specifically mentioned. Rational Wrath of Pliskin incoming. :)

I love DayZ, but the ArmA engine just wasn't made for fast-paced PvP or zombies. Yes it works, but the zombies are horrible when compared to other zombie games.

You may be correct, if you're referring solely to physics, which have been improved in the form of ragdolls, global weight simulation and other things in ArmA III. Animations, specifically movement, are also being improved, as are the weapon controls, possibly even weapon selection interface (dedicated keys FTW).

But in no way is the engine obsolete for PvP, which is a formula of weapon controls, movement fluidity and flexibility, responsive environment feedback (physics). Add in balanced missions, and you have competitive public gameplay.

hTlAiYUS5JE

Place competitive objectives in this town (bomb planting/defuse, Capture & Hold, or general TvT for tickets), dedicated weapons keys and a few respawn points - what else could you ask for from a 0.5 km^2 area. :)

---------- Post added at 10:55 ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 ----------

Which is why Bohemia Interactive is improving it, is it not?

Also, when I said made in my first post, I meant designed. Same thing.

Ya, agreed, CQB in ArmA II sucks a goat's ass, but only due to animations, weapon controls, see the video above.

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

Indeed I said ArmA engine. What are you not understanding about what I said. I said that yes, PvP works with the ArmA engine. Practically anything will work in the ArmA engine. But it doesn't work well. "Well" is the key word here.

It works beautifully in the context of authenticity and realism, which implies heavy recoil, somewhat medium-paced movement, see the video above.

You mentioned ArmA engine as if it was some sort of an abhorrent obstruction to PvP - it isn't, only the physics of the RV engine are crap, this is why we're getting PhysX. Here's another,

OTDDwKQncEY

Don't continue this, you specifically said "the engine", I said why it's not the engine at fault. :) We used to have 24/7 servers packed with Warfare Benny Edition at ArmA II release - we also had to deal with quite a lot of CQB action due to the nature of capturing towns, it somewhat sucked, but if we apply the new CQB mechanics of ArmA III, it will become AWESOME.

oh sorry man, posting the video wasn't meant to be a response to the "Arma wasn't designed for PvP" statement but the "polished" etc things.

Zombie ragdoll is a second character spawning above them, taking a step triggers two walking sounds (which is most likely one soundfile), graphics and textures are very poor, you shoot and move from the center of a floating camera, laser pointer is completely useless and wrong, silenced weapon and reloading sounds are extremely bad, no sophisticated recoil nor ballistics calculation, UI spam everywhere, Zombie AI is very poor, items get spread around upon dying, zombies are not frightening and not to speak about various other design choices and their horrendous marketing techniques and how they deal with people and their promises on the forums.

I really wonder what one might like there

Ya, given the list of horrid features in the WarZ gaEm:

Zombie ragdoll is a second character spawning above them, taking a step triggers two walking sounds (which is most likely one soundfile), graphics and textures are very poor, you shoot and move from the center of a floating camera, laser pointer is completely useless and wrong, silenced weapon and reloading sounds are extremely bad, no sophisticated recoil nor ballistics calculation, UI spam everywhere, Zombie AI is very poor, items get spread around upon dying, zombies are not frightening and not to speak about various other design choices and their horrendous marketing techniques and how they deal with people and their promises on the forums.

I, at first, thought that perhaps Nicholas is trolling, turns out he isn't! Not even worth mentioning all of the flaws seen in the WarZ footage, but

taking a step triggers two walking sounds (which is most likely one soundfile)

Always makes me chuckle. :P It's most likely a soundfile with 2 (3?) steps recorded, which trigger for every step in-game. DERP! :p

oh sorry man, posting the video wasn't meant to be a response to the "Arma wasn't designed for PvP" statement but the "polished" etc things.

I really wonder what one might like there

Everything true, that game just sucks...

EDIT: The second character spawning above zombies for the ragdoll animation is absolutely horrible...

This will be Dragon Risiing all over again. BIS does something great, another company tries to sell games by claiming that they can do it better while they deliver a steaming pile of shit

It seems you guys are partially blind. I've said that I want DayZ to succeed. But I believe they have a lot of work to do for PvP and animations. Have you read any of the reviews? People love DayZ but they hate the controls and animations. The controls/animations are a huge factor when it comes to making a PvP game.

Why do you think most games just have a floating camera POV? Because it just works so damn well.

It seems you guys are partially blind. I've said that I want DayZ to succeed. But I believe they have a lot of work to do for PvP and animations. Have you read any of the reviews? People love DayZ but they hate the controls and animations. The controls/animations are a huge factor when it comes to making a PvP game.

And that is a fault of the RV engine how exactly?

Why do you think most games just have a floating camera POV? Because it just works so damn well.

BS. You could have the same response levels and fluidity as in COD, but it wouldn't be ArmA with sprinting while gunning with zero recoil and 360 noscope, zero fatigue headshots.

Again, review the SMK ArmA II video above. Here's another,

DK7UJdBhRNU

You seem to be discussing this in the context of vanilla ArmA II, while we look at ArmA III as a logical progression and at its improvements in the department of animations, movement, stances, weapon controls.

Although, I admit if ArmA III doesn't have dedicated weapon keys, all those fluid animations will go to waste.

Although, I admit if ArmA III doesn't have dedicated weapon keys, all those fluid animations will go to waste.

Jeeze! You're like a pushy, annoying shoe salesman when it comes to your idea of a different key mapping.

I don't see how it matters. : D

If the improvements seen and purported to be in ArmA III somehow not enough for Nicholas, then he's truly blind, for ArmA is not a 1 km by 1 km infantry playground: I can go from Su-25 enemy base bombing runs, to being shot down, to ejecting, to walking 5 km to get to the nearest enemy town/outpost and capture it in CQB - all a seamless experience, and BIS are improving the CQB part of the equation.

I don't see how it matters. : D

If the improvements seen and purported to be in ArmA III somehow not enough for Nicholas, then he's truly blind, for ArmA is not a 1 km by 1 km infantry playground: I can go from Su-25 enemy base bombing runs, to being shot down, to ejecting, to walking 5 km to get to the nearest enemy town/outpost and capture it in CQB - all a seamless experience, and BIS are improving the CQB part of the equation.

Did I say they were not enough? Where are you getting this vibe from? DayZ isn't using the ArmA III engine. It's using the engine used for Take On Helicopters with new lighting and animations added in. ArmA III has nothing to do with DayZ.

Jeeze! You're like a pushy, annoying shoe salesman when it comes to your idea of a different key mapping.

Wat? :| What do you mean with a "different key mapping"? I don't impose any particular key map, I advocate for a dedicated weapons selection to be in the game in the first place! It's currently on the God damn F-cycle and scroll lists, which as you say, kills CQB PvP.

It's currently on the God damn F-cycle and scroll lists, which as you say, kills CQB PvP.

Where did I say this?

Did I say they were not enough? Where are you getting this vibe from? DayZ isn't using the ArmA III engine. It's using the engine used for Take On Helicopters with new lighting and animations added in.

You forgot ragdolls, which needn't be explained in the context of infantry.

ArmA III has nothing to do with DayZ.

Common sharing of resources and experience. If ArmA III is getting dedicated weapons/equipment keys in place, you bet DayZ is going to have the same code.

---------- Post added at 22:16 ---------- Previous post was at 22:15 ----------

Where did I say this?
The controls/animations are a huge factor when it comes to making a PvP game.

You're some clown? Only weapon controls differ from other FPS, everything else is standard.

Discussion over.

You forgot ragdolls, which needn't be explained in the context of infantry.

Common sharing of resources and experience. If ArmA III is getting dedicated weapons/equipment keys in place, you bet DayZ is going to have the same code.

I'm not sure why you're singling me out. Because I said that DayZ currently has crap animations for being a zombie game? And that ArmA wasn't designed with PvP in mind. Is this why you're singling me out, because I said those things?

PvP works in ArmA, but it does not work good because of the animations and the way that the player is a physical body in the world. I did state that other people do not like DayZ because of the animations and controls.

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 16:19 ----------

You're some clown? Only weapon controls differ from other FPS, everything else is standard.

Discussion over.

I said that the controls are a huge factor when it comes to making a PvP game. I didn't say that they (the controls) were bad in ArmA.

I'd like to see one of these types of games with aliens, war of the worlds or falling skies type :)

zetaborns.jpg

zetaborns2.jpg

Release & MP event coming soon ;) Bad Benson is the author of this new zetaborn models, along with other fancy stuff like armor & brand new weapons currently in production.

Aliens invented faster than light travel, but don't understand the concept of armour or underpants?

Where we're going, we don't need underpants. :)