Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery AKA how to make a quick buck...

news_the_war_z_announced-13091.jpg

http://gamersyde.com/news_the_war_z_announced-13091_en.html

Look familiar? :)

Arktos Entertainment and Hammerpoint Interactive Announce The War Z

New Game Studio to Bring Zombie-Apocalypse MMO to the PC

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--

Arktos Entertainment Group and Hammerpoint Interactive, a new independent game development studio located in Los Angeles, Calif., are finally lifting the veil and announcing their debut title, The War Z (TWZ). A session-based, massively multiplayer online game (MMO), The War Z is inspired by all things zombie and is set in a true post-apocalyptic, zombie-infested world where other players can prove to be a greater threat than the undead hordes that populate the land. The game is slated for release in fall 2012 for the Windows PC platform.

“The whole team is completely obsessed with the zombie culture as well as with post-apocalyptic games like Fallout,†said Eric Nordin, senior game designer for The War Z. “Since we started the design of the game, we have continued to incorporate new features that inspire us as we go. At the end of the day we want to ship a game that we want to play ourselves and we’re hoping that other gamers will recognize our passion and be excited about playing as well!â€

In The War Z, players are thrust into a post-apocalyptic world five years after a viral outbreak that ravaged the human population and left in its wake a nightmare of epic proportion. Hordes of undead zombies infest the cities, and the few remaining human beings have devolved into a lawless, nomadic society where the sole objective is to survive at any cost. Players must use skill and cunning in order to acquire food, weapons and other supplies necessary for survival. While navigating the vast landscape, they will discover cities teeming with the undead as well as other players that may or may not be friendly.

With strong RPG elements, TWZ allows players to earn experience points and then “spend†those points to learn new skills that will aid in their survival. Additionally, there will be opportunities to acquire in-game cash and gold, which can be used to purchase supplies at one of the few safe-settlements located in the game. The War Z will also allow those playing together to join servers as a group or locate friends already playing and join the same server.

Some features of The War Z include the following:

• Survival Horror MMO with entire game world build around a Zombie Apocalypse

• Two modes of play: Normal (downed characters can be revived after “cool down†period) and Hardcore (death will be permanent)

• Ability to switch between first-person (FPS) and third-person (TPS) perspectives

• Huge maps ranging between 200 and 400 square kilometers

• Meld of PvE (player versus environment) and PvP (player versus player) gameplay

• Unique social elements, including bounties, rewards, help requests, trap setting, etc.

• Safe Settlements: safe cities within the world where players can purchase, sell and store items as well as post notes for other players

• Single purchase, downloadable client with ability to play full game without subscriptions or requiring in-game transactions

• Full developer support with regularly scheduled, free content updates

• Dedicated public servers as well as private servers that can be completely self-managed in game client

“Hammerpoint Interactive is exactly the kind of developer we look to partner with,†said Sergey Titov, CEO, Arktos Entertainment Group. “They came to us with an innovative game design that fit our investment strategy and we’re excited to be backing this project.â€

The War Z is currently in Alpha phase, with a closed beta planned for the very near future. Players can visit http://www.thewarz.com to be notified of updates and other information as well as to pre-order the game and guarantee a spot in the closed beta. More information on this title can also be found http://facebook.com/warzmmo

[ATTACH=CONFIG]168[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]169[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]170[/ATTACH]

I'm not familiar with the zombie genre.

Is the use of the letter Z common?

Does it define the genre?

It's been in development since last year. Might want to scale down the paranoia.

Paranoia? Was meant to be a joke but still ;)

I read that they changed a lot of how it played out based on the success of DayZ, or is that also paranoia? ;)

One of the developers posts/brags here quite regularly

All these games take a healthy dose of 'inspiration' from others. DayZ is no different, WarZ (a rather awful choice of name) neither. Seems they aim to do what I always hoped STALKER should have been (minus the MMO part) but with zombies (yawn). Good, hopefully the DayZ CrayZ can be put to rest.

I'd like to see one of these types of games with aliens, war of the worlds or falling skies type :)

I'd like to see one of these types of games with aliens, war of the worlds or falling skies type :)

I'd honestly love to see STALKER reworked so it became what it was billed as (survival, find a safe place to sleep when you log off, etc - although that was all SP). Fallout allso springs to mind as a good brand to MMO survialise, especially with their take on creating home made weapons. Zombies just don't float my boat, the survival concept does, however.

I'd honestly love to see STALKER reworked so it became what it was billed as survival Zombies just don't float my boat, the survival concept does, however.

_this.

It's been in development since last year. Might want to scale down the paranoia.

Perhaps Placebo meant that Rocket was paying homage to WarZ? :)

I'd honestly love to see STALKER reworked so it became what it was billed as (survival, find a safe place to sleep when you log off, etc - although that was all SP). Fallout allso springs to mind as a good brand to MMO survialise, especially with their take on creating home made weapons. Zombies just don't float my boat, the survival concept does, however.

I was gutted that Stalker 2 was cancelled, at least Metro Last Light seems to be taking up the mantle a little with (hopefully) more outdoor open areas.

Perhaps Placebo meant that Rocket was paying homage to WarZ? :)

;)

Whatever they started working "years ago" is probably nothing like what their showing now

it's a blatant copy of the DayZ look right down to the logo.

The domain wasn't even registered until May 24 2012

Edited by jblackrupert

I was gutted that Stalker 2 was cancelled, at least Metro Last Light seems to be taking up the mantle a little with (hopefully) more outdoor open areas.)

Never got round to playing Metro as the laptop isn't quite up to it, and I was just as gutted about STALKER 2 as well, even if the CEO og GSC still seems to claim its merely on indefinate hold till they get new staff and funding. On a related note, the old development team did open their own studio and were planning on making a STALKER esque MMO aimed at the survival theme... how far they got, I have no idea.

Never got round to playing Metro as the laptop isn't quite up to it, and I was just as gutted about STALKER 2 as well, even if the CEO og GSC still seems to claim its merely on indefinate hold till they get new staff and funding. On a related note, the old development team did open their own studio and were planning on making a STALKER esque MMO aimed at the survival theme... how far they got, I have no idea.

Yeah it's called Survivarium, says it will be a end of 2013 release on PC. It's planned to be free to play and although I want it to be exactly how I imagine a STALKER MMO, I think there will undoubtedly be some compromise.

So... how much time until DayZ stand-alone announcement?

So... how much time until DayZ stand-alone announcement?

When it's ready.

Yeah it's called Survivarium, says it will be a end of 2013 release on PC. It's planned to be free to play and although I want it to be exactly how I imagine a STALKER MMO, I think there will undoubtedly be some compromise.

Cheers matey... although disappointed to see its F2P. Worth keeping an eye on, never-the-less

Sincerely, I'd buy any new zombie game that didn't involve the letter 'Z' or 'x of the dead' or 'dead x' or just dead. For fuck's sake, homaging is one thing, but this is just being unoriginal. For the purpose of this statement, Resident Evil and all assorted older (5+ years) horror/zombie games are excluded.

Anyway, this zombie simulator craze is bound to blow over soon. Let's just board the doors and windows and wait it out.

It´s the best thing that could happen to a probably planned DayZ standalone - competition fuels many great things (in gaming terms at least).

A factor thats sadly missing for ArmA2.

No competitors means developers can lean back in their comfort zone.. no need to step out/up.

I'm not familiar with the zombie genre.

Is the use of the letter Z common?

Does it define the genre?

I think it's become "fashionable" to use Z since the book "World War Z" came out. At least, that was the first time I saw it. And of course, since they are making it into a film starring Brad Pitt, I guess it's become the In Thing (for zombie stuff anyway :))

WWZ is a great book BTW, even if you don't particularly enjoy the whole zombie thing. I'm no fan of zombie fiction (other than some of Romero's films) but this one got the tone exactly right. It sort of emulates those documentaries you see after the event, where people recount how their war went.

Borrowing ideas is fine but these guys are doing what you'd expect from a Chinese company.

How much ya wanna bet the name of the city has a familer sounding ring to it... maybe rhymes with Cherno.

Watch Conmasters come out with one next..