Sign in to follow this  
iantheluke

How do I get a 360 controller to work for Arma2? Can I buy the files, xpadder?

I've spent several hours reading up on this issue, and still getting nowhere. I have an xbox 360 controller for pc, wired via USB. I want to use it on Arma2, of course I'll make the switch over to K/M soon enough but for now I want to use the xbox controls, if possible. I searched a few forums and downloaded the newest xpadder, I played around with that for a bit but it was just a mess, does anyone know of pre made set-ups for this configuration? I found a Youtube video of a guy who explains how to use xpadder and gives a link for the xpadder set-up for 360 control on Battlefield 3, which gives me the impression that someone out there must also have the files ready to go for Arma2.

When I initially started up Arma2 I turned on the controller, and it seemed to work, but I was unable to invert it! So that was about 8 hours ago, after that I've been frantically looking for options to config the hell out of the controller myself and make it work exactly how I need. I've become aware that there are lot's of buttons on this game, but somewhere amongst all the forums I read about people who had spent weeks messing around with advanced combinations to account for all, or most of the buttons required of Arma2, but on a 360 controller, which is pretty hectic if it worked.

If someone has a magic fix to this issue, I'll be stoked to hear it. In the meantime I might get started on learning the k/M action. Cheers guys.

Hey! I use an xbox controller to fly in ArmA and it was as simple as plugging it in.

When you plug your controller into your computer, windows should automatically download the drivers from their website and install them.

Once this is done, follow these simple steps

1. Load up your game
  2. Go to the options menu
  3. Go into the controls menu
  4. On the bottom line of the controls menu there is a button which says 'Controller', go into that menu
  5. Once in that menu you can activate your controller if it's not already done.

After you activate it you can map the keys the same way you would a normal key on your keyboard. You shouldn't really need a configured one already, just go with what feels comfortable and just base it off the industry standard. For example, left trigger will decrease speed while right trigger will increase, etc, etc.

Hope this was of some assistance!

Thanks for that, I managed to do all of that at the start but my problem now lies in trying to invert the joypad on the 360 controller, I go into options, controls etc, and invert the y-axis thing, but it only inverts the mouse, I've gone down the list and looked at other things to see if I can invert stuff, but all of these have had no effect on the controller, I've just spent so many years playing console games on inverted that I don't want to spend weeks trying to adapt to the other style, especially if I can just find the right buttons, and switch it over. I've also just found a site that has the controls ready-made...

http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/pc-controller-support/alpha-gamepad-joystick/xbox-360-ps3-psx-etc-af/a/arma-2

It looks like a lot of effort went into this set-up. I've been reading the setup instructions for it and I'm bloody lost! I also don't have a zip file program thingy to un-zip the download, yes, I'm a complete spastic at most things related to files/programs, but... at least I can lift heavy things... :yay:

If you happen to look at the link and understand what the hell it says, and if it's worth using, I'll be glad to hear it!

If you're talking about playing on foot then I do not suggest using a controller for that, there are just too many buttons!

However if you're talking about flying, or driving, then you just remap them like a regular key! the controller is 100% configurable.

For example, you want the helicopter to go forward (nose down). You simply go to the controls menu, go to the drop down box at the top and select the aircraft controls, once you do that you just look for the one that describes what you want, and remap it. If the key is already in use you can simply remove that and do the same for the rest.

Downloading a premade profile for this is silly, it only takes a few minutes to set up after all.