Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: OA 1.62 (Release Candidate #1) build 95168

Let's just summarize the facts again for the people who don't bother to read the first post:

1. In order to install this 1.62 RC, you need to have a clean 1.60 installation. (That means without any of the previous RCs installed. Mods and betas are always fine.)

2. If you want to roll back after installing this RC, make a full backup of your game folder first. Otherwise you will have to reinstall the game.

3. This RC is not backwards compatible in multiplayer. That means you won't be able to join any 1.60 or 1.61 servers. Only 1.62.

Maybe reading the first post would help ...

I thought this was about being able to update too 1.62 RC from 1.60 and 1.61, not the backwards compatibility. Get of your high horse thank you.

Let's just summarize the facts again for the people who don't bother to read the first post:

1. In order to install this 1.62 RC, you need to have a clean 1.60 installation. (That means without any of the previous RCs installed. Mods and betas are always fine.)

And herein lies my problem. If we are not getting a way of rolling back an RC then please do NOT release them for testing. The beta patch method is just fine. I can delete the folder, change my modline and I am sitting at 1.60. In my helpful way I wanted to test these RCs for BIS but now I'm faced with having to completely reinstall the game (and all the DLCs) as I cannot put 1.62RC over the top of 1.61RC.

Will the final 1.6X patch-to-full be able to take the other 1.6X RCs into account, and install over the top of them?

And herein lies my problem. If we are not getting a way of rolling back an RC then please do NOT release them for testing. The beta patch method is just fine. I can delete the folder, change my modline and I am sitting at 1.60. In my helpful way I wanted to test these RCs for BIS but now I'm faced with having to completely reinstall the game (and all the DLCs) as I cannot put 1.62RC over the top of 1.61RC.

Will the final 1.6X patch-to-full be able to take the other 1.6X RCs into account, and install over the top of them?

The RC's have always been like this, and it is written in every release thread.

The known way how to deal with RC's is to backup your game before applying it.

Either that, or just STAY AWAY FROM IT. Testing Betas and RCs is a way to help the developers and involves some work, time and possibly nerves on the tester's side, as well as some intelligence and text understanding capability. Noone is FORCED to use Betas or RCs. Anyone who just wishes to play and does not want to bother with patches, bugs etc., just use the stable version or maybe a proven-to-be-ok beta patch, but not necessarily the latest one. Living on the bleeding edge makes you bleed sometimes.

If we are not getting a way of rolling back an RC then please do NOT release them for testing.

The thing is, these things need testing. If doing so is too much trouble for you, just stick with the betas.

EDIT: Ninja'd by the brainbug:

Either that, or just STAY AWAY FROM IT. Testing Betas and RCs is a way to help the developers and involves some work, time and possibly nerves on the tester's side, as well as some intelligence and text understanding capability. Noone is FORCED to use Betas or RCs. Anyone who just wishes to play and does not want to bother with patches, bugs etc., just use the stable version or maybe a proven-to-be-ok beta patch, but not necessarily the latest one. Living on the bleeding edge makes you bleed sometimes.

We certainly hope this 1.62 is the final patch iteration and we have no intention opening it again unless a serious regression is found.

You have to deal with the one that was found though. Can't leave it in 1.62 like this

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/32115

And herein lies my problem. If we are not getting a way of rolling back an RC then please do NOT release them for testing.

???

Whats so hard to make a second copy of your ArmA II install and rename the directory to "ArmA II.160" before you apply any RC candidate? Thats how I do it...

BTW: A minor thing but I have to say that the GUI is nicer without that hinting text over the loading images that was introduced in previous RC's.

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

I just bought british armed forces and private military company on steam, and now my game version is 1.62 even with CO (apparently they are all the same client anyway).

None of the ACE+ACRE servers I play on run 1.62

Can I roll back, if not, how do I install an old version?

This is retarded. It might have been six updater, I'm not sure if that or steam did it. Regardless, how do I downgrade my version?

I just bought british armed forces and private military company on steam, and now my game version is 1.62 even with CO (apparently they are all the same client anyway).

None of the ACE+ACRE servers I play on run 1.62

Can I roll back, if not, how do I install an old version?

This is retarded. It might have been six updater, I'm not sure if that or steam did it. Regardless, how do I downgrade my version?

Could always play on our server! :idea:

I noticed over the last couple betas that all the hard work that went into movement interpolation over distances has regressed back to pre 1.60 levels. Anyone else notice this?

Edit: Please include this in 1.62 kthx http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?137307-BAF-Scope-Crosshair-on-AS50-wrong-size-miscalibrated&p=2190179&viewfull=1#post2190179

Edited by s3mp3rfi

Could always play on our server! :idea:

I'll probably do that, for now I'm reinstalling arma 2 without either of the DLC i just bought and going to make a backup of the files in case it happens again. There really should be a way to downgrade if the patch isn't going to be backwards compatible though, imo. But I've only played this game for a week so I don't know if the rest of you guys are used to this sort of thing.

Last comment in that ticket said it cannot be reproducted on this version. So might be fixed?

No it's not. Tested with 95208 - the issue hasn't changed a bit. It is still exactly the same.

AT gunner just runs around Shilka not firing.

EDIT: in fact it got even worse. Now AT gunner often runs far away from the Shilka when ordered to engage. Even into the sea.

Edited by metalcraze

You should´ve checked if it upgraded to RC 1.62 or just the beta 1.62;

in the latter case (which I think SU is upgrading to) it would´ve been sufficient to erase beta folder and install beta 94700 manually :)

AT gunner just runs around Shilka not firing.

I've tried multiple times and not once the AT gunner was running around the Shilka and not firing (that was with 1.62 RC1).

Xeno

I've tried multiple times and not once the AT gunner was running around the Shilka and not firing (that was with 1.62 RC1).

Xeno

Did you order him to target and engage the shilka?

Because I have 1.62 RC1 installed (over 1.60) and then beta 95208 in addition to that and the behavior is just as awful as it was.

Can't reproduce this either. I used build 95208 (non-RC) with different factions and AT launcher types.

Vehicle is spotted, AI gets commanded to engage target, he pulls out his launcher, he goes backwards a few steps, then he fires.

I'll attempt the same with the RC version, but nothing would suggest it's any different. I'll check either way.

???

Whats so hard to make a second copy of your ArmA II install and rename the directory to "ArmA II.160" before you apply any RC candidate? Thats how I do it.../KC

That's how I did it as well, except just moved it to a different hard drive :)

I still can't reproduce this. Neither with pure 1.62 RC#1, nor with 95208 included. If anything, it could be ArmA's infamous AI pathfinding at works. Which is rather Capt. Obvious, I guess. :p

Edited by colossus

I did a totally clean reinstall (as in deleted everything). Then installed beta 95208 over 1.60 (no RC).

The issue is still there. He still rans off without firing.

So I decided to launch ArmA2 vanilla (1.11). In ArmA2 vanilla AI behaves normally. Not as optimal as simply coming up to a tank without "engage" order - but correctly.

After a couple of more attempts, I've found it too. It's the pathfinding I think. The AI attempts to engage the target from the side you came from. If it fails, simply by not having a clear shot, it tries another direction - this time behind the vehicle. If that fails the AI will try to swim to the location where he would shoot the vehicle from the other side. The problem, I think, lies in that he doesn't recognize it's water.

It's a very hard location for the AI you've picked, though. :o

EDIT: FYI, this is not a beta problem. This actually exist in 1.60 too. And might I add: it's like I said, very hard location for the AI. Steep hill where you start, trees behind the tank, and a even steeper angle with rock objects on the right hand side of the vehicle, along with more rock objects in front of it.

Edited by colossus