Sign in to follow this  
JustNothing

Problem with objects on my map

Ok there is an other problem i found testing my island.

Some objects seem to disappear for a moment when i walk past them.

Especially when i walk over the bridge (I have put two bridges together) at the point where the bridges touch i get this problem.

Hope that someone can help me with this... :)

Is it only bridges or other objects too? Are there a lot of other objects around? I know that from a distance bridges on one of my terrains disappear. I don't know why exactly they're matched up as perfectly as anyone could get them I think. I think it could be too many polys on screen or something like that maybe. That doesn't tend to happen but has been my theory. Also which bridge model are you using?

Because i am working on a map with a big city there are a lot of houses, but in the area where the bridge is located, there are not that much objects around...

I am using the "bridge_asf1_25" bridge out of the roads2 folder.

It happens with the bridge, and also with the dam and the docks.

So under all this objects there is whater...

I needed 3 of the bridge and dam parts to cross the river so i matched them together. (In Bulldozer the bridge parts are looking matched up perfectly...).

Ingame from the distance everything looks fine, but when i walk over this objects i get the problem ( when i come to to the end of a bridge part).

And if i stop at the point where this happens, looking up and down leads to this result:

arma2oa2012071813411292.png[arma2oa2012071813411598.png

Not sure I can help on this one. I have the opposite problem that you do. From a distance mine don't show up but they have always seemed fine when I'm walking on them or near them.

I had this problem myself , after investigation i just came to conclusion that it has

canbeoccluded = 1

canbeoccluded

Usage: Geometry LOD / View Geometry LOD. If it is set to 0, the model will be drawn even if it normally would be culled away by occlusion culling (ie. the view geometry is completely hidden behind another objects view geometry).

but it also has which suggest it will be fixed , however i think it was some complicated guess on spare of moment :)

CanOcclude = 1

canOcclude

Usage: Geometry LOD / View Geometry LOD.

Objects hidden behind view geometry are normally not rendered by engine. Unfortunatelly, some objects like trees, have many "holes" in their body, so if object will not be rendered behind tree, it will dissapear and it won't be visible.

Using CanOcclude = 0 property will prevent this undesired effect from happening.

so i am thinking maybe the clash with other bridge part is hiding it because of proximity maybe .

by chance did you make it bigger than 100 % in properties ?

Ok...seems that this could solve the problem...

But is there a way to set canbeoccluded to 0? (I just dont know anything about O2...or is there a way to set this value for the bridge object without using o2?)

Now that i have read this i am sure that it would sove the problem...

did you make it bigger than 100 % in properties ?

No...Because then it would be too broad to fit to the roads....So i have to put more bridge parts together... :)

hmm these are binarised so cant alter :(

what i might suggest is place one bridge on terrain in v3 click on it so its highlighted with white surround (selected) then hold shift and click somewhere on map not on bridge :)

a new pop up will appear , choose 3 pieces and Vertical . just binarise and test dont move them see if it happens again it dissapears , it could be some slight overlap when you placed it maybe ?

What if they're not touching. Leave a meter between each of them. I really don't know how this will help but maybe it will trigger something for someone.

What size terrain? What size cells?

This might be related to oversized objects on small terrains ...... i.e. the reverse might be true.

What if they're not touching. Leave a meter between each of them.

Sorry...still does not work :(

What size terrain? What size cells?

Terrain size is 2560x2560m; Terrain cell size is 5m;

Edited by JustNothing

Two ways to walk around these issues: the first deal with position, the second, with heights... forget about that other way regarding render stages of a BIS model (canocclude, blah, blah)... you can't solve anything this way...

FIRST APPROACH:

1. Are those bridge pieces near to left /bottom side of your map ?

I would say that your chosen measures might be troublesome... so, try some adjustments at that level... perhaps, a bigger cell size or terrain size...

2. Are those bridges pieces facing straight north (zero degree) or, i.e., perhaps some in between 31º north ??? You might want to try some roundes values just to be sure if that helps...

SECOND APPROACH: Otherwise, you could also try to change absolute height of your bridge

1. Check for scripts: show abs height and set abs height... then change them a bit and see if it solves the issue... Again, prefer round numbers to set your bridge height: i.e.: 10 meters, should be better than 9.76754863 m... got it?

2. Do something similar with your pbl file... preset max and min height, forcing these values to be rounded also... or just slight them a little bit... remember that you can use relative paste (SHIT+v) to avoid any modification regarding your objects already well placed...

I do not posses any abs truth about these "results" we face when making a map... I'm just proposing to you some ways to deal with undesired effects... so, tell us if you get a solution for this specific issue since, afaik, some guys have never done it yet... and it would be nice to see if any of these pseudoscientific approaches help you out somehow...

Saludillos washon!

Thank you @robster! You have solved it!

As you recomended i changed the cell size and set it to 10.And now it seems to work!

Thank you! :)

EDIT: Its strange, but your solution worked for the bridge object, but not for the dock and the dam objects....I really dont know why...

Edited by JustNothing

mmm... Strange... that's a familiar word between mappers... I guess engine displays some flickering objects when they are in a "bad" position just to say... I've seen BIS rocks models flashing a lot when placed near ponds... and, sometimes, moving objects a bit from here to there or making some little adjustments get those unwanted gaps fixed...

many times it's just a matter of trial & error... until you find a solution... ;)

This seems like the same kind of problem i am having. When testing my island in game, as I am flying, the roads and runways fade out at about 600 meters altitude. I cannot for the life of me figure out what to edit in the config to keep this from happening. I know at a certain distance the Satmap textures begin to take over and all ground and object textures fade away, how do i keep this from happening as i have seen on other islands. PS: my viewdistance is all the way up.

This seems like the same kind of problem i am having. When testing my island in game, as I am flying, the roads and runways fade out at about 600 meters altitude. I cannot for the life of me figure out what to edit in the config to keep this from happening. I know at a certain distance the Satmap textures begin to take over and all ground and object textures fade away, how do i keep this from happening as i have seen on other islands. PS: my viewdistance is all the way up.

I don't think you can. On other people's terrains you are probably seeing a well-painted / real-life road on the sat map. Perhaps I am wrong though.

I don't think you can. On other people's terrains you are probably seeing a well-painted / real-life road on the sat map. Perhaps I am wrong though.

If you climb to 3k meters in takistan you can still see the actual CA runway and roads on the ground, in my map the Sat_lco textures fade it out.

********nev mind, jakerod you are 100%correct, the runway textures fade but the underlying painted texture remains. thanks for pushing me to go in game and take a deeper look.:)

now....off to edit the sat_lco

Edited by DanWelch

I have my runway placed, now, how do i make it to where when i drive/taxi on the runway, it doesn't ride like when driving off-road?

Use the invisible road tiles under the airfield tiles or change the terrain attributes/mask to "smooth" ground.

Now im having a problem placing the invisible roads, i cant place them correctly since the invisi roads are only a tiny dot. how do i fix this.

***********never mind: i learned that you have to define them in the roads tool, mine only works under the Roads2 folder.

Edited by DanWelch