Sign in to follow this  
Megaboss

Model size limit 128m?

Hello

I'm currently modeling very high poly russian and us aircraft carries for arma 3. Is the model size limit 128m sphere still, since my objects are about 300-350m in length? If so is there any work around? Are there any poly limits?

Thank you

I always thought it was 60m limits, but then again nothing I've modeled ever comes close to that size. Poly limits are at best guess around 20k faces.

20k faces? u serial?

I'm looking for like 10 times more minimum per ship. Any work arounds?

Very serious (it's not just a faces limits, the inhouse software you'll need to eventually use to set up the various LODs and memory points has limits with regards to number of vertexes etc), but there are workarounds (not that it should mean modeling at ridiculous detail, as its going to catch up to you eventually in terms of performance etc).

Most large object items, especially carriers, are split into several model blocks and reassembled ingame, so each block can be 20k - assemble 10 blocks and that's 200k. Use of proxy objects within those blocks (i.e. weapon systems, furniture, other bits and bobs) can 'artificially' push the count further.

[edit]

seem to remember that the 60m is the maximum length of a walkable/driveable roadway, so thats going to be a limitation you'll need to work with when creating carriers.

ArmA models have always been relatively low poly. Roughly speaking, and this is in no way a guide, just 'normal' values from my experience, weapons are upwards to 5-7k, vehicles anywhere up to 15k, aircraft tend to peak at the 20k, but that's all relative to what you're modeling. The more square an item is, the less face's it's generally going to require (hence aircraft tend to be the most complex). However, keep the high poly going, as you can always use it to bake normal maps for the lower poly version to use.

Edited by Messiah

Hmm, was just wondering because i also would like to make Borei class submarine that is 170m. Well... I quess i should start from anti air s500 system, and forget the navy for now. Better to wait for answers than start to make navy that might never work.

Thanks for help

That's not to say they've not increased the limits, but it would surprise me if they had. Naval objects have always been an interesting affair in ArmA. You could always try and contact a member called 'Gnat' or 'Cbfasi' who have probably got the most experience in that area.

You're welcome, and welcome to the 'fun fun fun' world of ArmA modding :rolleyes:

you will know when you rech limit because Bulldozer will crash and Bin pbo spit errors :)

i believe its 32k(2^15 =32768) count is in fact the number of vertex normals

look for the error in your log it will say > Assertion failed '_nVertex < 32768

Work around is to Proxy non animated parts where possible Like shell etc , however some people do get some issues with drwan / not drawn when looking at certain angles , i once had A 250,000 Tris tank in game it ran well with one but i also had some Glitching .

Proxy wont solve your Over all geometry problem though , i believe that has to be scripted using attachto these days :( , I did read something about A3 altering some aspects but that i think was Height ( which was alledgedly fixed in OA)

I have played with large objects (ships) for many years.

No matter the poly count large objects will typically disappear from your vision when they are not meant to. Turn you head away from the model a little in game and suddenly, *poof*, it disappears.

Turn back, *poof*, it appears from no-where !

Beware.

Gnat;2192712']I have played with large objects (ships) for many years.

No matter the poly count large objects will typically disappear from your vision when they are not meant to. Turn you head away from the model a little in game and suddenly' date=' *poof*, it disappears.

Turn back, *poof*, it appears from no-where !

Beware.[/quote']

That happens with smaller objects too, namely vanilla gates.

The number of possible vertex normals in the buffer at the same time is actually 2^16 = 65535, so the number of points you can have is more or less dictated by how many of your faces are hard shaded. More hard shaded faces => more vertex normals.

There are definitely size and shape limitations and something of that size will not be able to actually sail without causing rpt errors. When the AI is moving, it reserves a certain space in front of it that should not be included in the pathfinding of the units in front of it. That size is dictated by the bounding sphere of the object, I believe. At any rate, objects that are too large need too much reserved space for pathfinding and errors occur.

The work around would be to make the carrier out of several static proxy objects.

it is indeed 2^16 for dx10. for dx11 it is suppose to be even more,cdont remember by how much though

I'm not sure but I believe they said that physx or something will allow for larger vehicles/objects. Personally I's still hoping for Star Destroyers with dozens of gunners and stuff like that.

Oh, I was answering for ArmA 2. I didn't realize at the time that this was in the ArmA 3 forum. Maybe their pathfinding stuff will be different. Disregard (at least partially) what I was talking about. The information is not known, I don't think.

Oh, I was answering for ArmA 2. I didn't realize at the time that this was in the ArmA 3 forum. Maybe their pathfinding stuff will be different. Disregard (at least partially) what I was talking about. The information is not known, I don't think.

for a2 is 2^15 acording to dx9 msdn documentation (and from my own experience)

If you just want to have platforms to start and land planes from, I guess you can just as well build those carriers as static models. A problem I see with any seaborne vehicle is with the damage model. i am no expert on the subject, but I think in ArmA2 we dont have fluid mechanics and the vehicle damage model does not support damage to the hull in a way that it would affect buoyancy.

With the revisioned damage models in ArmA3, a different water handling (do we get rivers?!) and PhysX, there might be more possible- ah well, one can dream... :rolleyes:

For simplicity reasons I'd suggest to "seal" a simple container maybe with some "interior" - put it on the sea and shoot some holes in its wall below the waterline from inside. If you get believable results for that, you can start with your destroyers, carriers and submarines...

for a2 is 2^15 acording to dx9 msdn documentation (and from my own experience)

I thought it was 15 or 16 bit vertex normal buffers for direct3d 9, but I can't find the reference anymore and I certainly value your experience.