Sign in to follow this  
smacker909

SP: Tankistan Control / work in progress

Lol, that's the problem ! Don't understand why ?

Run 1.62 lasted Beta. No addons.

Maybe try @ASR_AI and/or TPW's @LOS to see if the problem persists? The addons at the very least will increase AI awareness overall for you.

Updated 8/19

- Added randomly spawn insurgents in and around some towns.

- Some killed insurgents will have Intel. (thanks DeltaFiveOne)

- Now, points deducted for civilian kills by EAST as well as WEST.

I'm thinking of removing points for Insurgent killls..(already lowered to '1' and increased civ kills to '-3' ) but still seems it's too easy to accumulate points. Please let me know if anyone playing agrees or not.

Edited by smacker909

Ok, I think I understand what EricFr's bug is. With your newly added spawned insurgents in and around town, my gunner spotted a randomly spawned insurgent firing at my Humvee but would refuse to fire on him. I got the rest of my team out of the vehicle as well and they refused to fire on him as well, the insurgent was in plain view. I had to get back in the vehicle and run him over myself as my gunner still refused to fire on the hostile. Some variable isn't being completely initialized upon the spawning of the insurgent(s), at least not every time as it should. The first time I saw a random insurgent around town my gunner had no problem taking him out. The second time what I just explained above occurred. Also when my gunner took out the insurgent the first time, I didn't receive a point for an insurgent kill.

Edited by DeltaFiveOne
Correction

hi Delta, The new random insurgents were added after EricFr's comment. The random insurgents and the ones spawned around town during interrogation use the 'createUnit' command and I've only added an eventhandler for them if killed to offer the 'search for intel' action. Other than that, there's nothing I'm doing with them. They are spawned on the EAST side locally in the script. Also, I'm not tinkering with any skill settings for either side. I have noticed my guys slow to fire or pick up on hostiles before, but just assumed it is the games inherent AI problem. I will keep testing though to see if I can find something.

-- as far as the points, you don't get points when your team takes out insurgents.. only when you do.. also you wont get points for running them over..at least I dont think.. only if you shoot them :)

Edited by smacker909

Interesting.. I notice it's pretty random, how well my guys spot hostiles.. so I have just always assumed it was normal. I can do some testing to see what I find. I usually just move to gunner position when my gunner falls asleep lol.

---------- Post added at 02:10 ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 ----------

I did some testing and noticed very random results. Order one rifleman out of our vehicle near a hostile and order him to target the dude, who by the way was clueless of our presence.. near him. My guy went over and walked right in front of him without even looking at him and got shoot down. Order the next guy out and he gunned down the hostile right away. So.. I see that by default.. createUnit sets SKILL to 0.5 and rank to PRIVATE. I can change the spawn script to make your units SILL 1 and higher rank. Maybe that will help.

skill: Number - (optional, default 0.5)

Sounds good, put out the revised version when you get the chance and I will try myself.

Well.. I've tried using setUnitAbility command on the units and getting the same results. Sometimes they spot them far away and and shoot to kill with no problem. Other times.. the bad guys run right in front of them and they act like their not there. I'll keep digging for an answer. Maybe just try some very basic testing with spawned vs. placed units.

Update is available. Found and fixed problem where I had accidentally put a GUER unit in the mix of possible INS that could spawn for interrogations as well as the randomly placed units. Of course, these guys are neutral so your team would not engage them. There was about a 25% chance a GUE unit would spawn.. so that explains the randomness. Please let me know if there are any other issues. As a side note from trying to find this problem.. I did add increased skill to your units and random skills to INS units from .5 - .9. I'm not 100% sure these values override what is in your profile though.

Edited by smacker909
8/20 update

Update

- Scoring change. Increased required points for support items. Also, now Insurgent kills by any team member gets you points.

- Corrected problem with defense squad chopper landing procedure. Sometimes would not land where you specified.

Update is available. Found and fixed problem where I had accidentally put a GUER unit in the mix of possible INS that could spawn for interrogations as well as the randomly placed units. Of course, these guys are neutral so your team would not engage them. There was about a 25% chance a GUE unit would spawn.. so that explains the randomness. Please let me know if there are any other issues. As a side note from trying to find this problem.. I did add increased skill to your units and random skills to INS units from .5 - .9. I'm not 100% sure these values override what is in your profile though.

Testing Update: First the good news, the handgun wielding civilian standing dead problem has been solved! Good job Smacker. Bad news is the TK GUE units are still spawning but usually during interrogations so far. My units will not fire on any TK GUE. I think the other (recently added) random spawning insurgents are working correct now though, I don't see any TK GUE among those units at least.

Wanted to ask: I know I ask a lot and too often lol but can we get a gear selection screen or some easier way to select gear for AI teammates? I swear I must spend at least 10 minutes trying to get my AI to go to the right loadout box at base to get the right gear at mission start. By that time the insurgents have their first cache delivered haha.. Not your fault of course, a well-known ArmA ammobox/AI action bug.

Hi Delta. No GUE are spawning in the latest addition. U might have gotten the update just prior to that release.. Try downloading again? If your guys aren't engaging with this version, it's for some other reason. My latest testing seems okay in that regards. They will not engage hostile civs at times though. Not sure how to fix that.

As far as a load screen.. unfortunately, dialog screens are difficult for me.. it took forever to get the options screen working. As much as I would like to add it, I don't see it in the near future. Sorry about that.

Ok, if I see a TK GUE spawning I will screenshot it. Downloading version again.

Below is a search for GUE from all scripts. (the HQ and DSHkM machine gun) So if there is a GUE spawning, I don't know how ;)

Search "GUE" (4 hits in 3 files)

hqBomb.sqf (1 hits)

Line 3: // _hq = nearestObject[player, "TK_GUE_WarfareBUAVterminal_Base_EP1"];

insCampGenerator.sqf (1 hits)

Line 59: "DSHkM_Mini_TriPod_TK_GUE_EP1",

insHQbuild.sqf (2 hits)

Line 49: _n = createVehicle["TK_GUE_WarfareBUAVterminal_Base_EP1",_finalPos,[],5,"NONE"];

Line 53: hq = nearestObject[_finalPos,"TK_GUE_WarfareBUAVterminal_Base_EP1"];

Ok yeah, you're right. Got the new version. Will test now.

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

Well I just had one of the best ArmA shootouts in my whole playing experience so yeah, things are near perfect! No more TK GUE spawning at all, my mistake. Was using the older version for some odd reason. The point system feels a lot more refined and balanced now. I'm glad that my team can earn points for me now as well. Just add suicide car bombing and you have a true gem on your hands, not that it wasn't already of course. Even after that you can still really do some unique things with this mission's structure, very open-ended. Starting to really feel the polish now!

Cool Delta. Glad you like the mission. Thanks for the input and testing :) I think I need to get the IED's working (exploding) before starting in on the car bombers ;)

Mission Update - IED's fixed. They will now explode!

Please let me know if any issues.

---

Just made correction to convoy delay timer. I noticed there were two downloads before I got this last fix in. If you just downloaded.. please download again. sorry!

Edited by smacker909
correction

Smacker, how do you feel about any Takistani women being shooters and suicide bombers? Too extreme ya think? A horrid thing to witness in real life obviously, but it does happen unfortunately in guerrilla warfare. I'm really not even sure if there is a BIS animation for TK women holding a pistol though.

I'm okay with the idea, but I think you are right, the female civs can't draw weapons. I did testing with this when initially working on the script. I can have them as suicide bombers though. I will see if I can add one or two females to the bomber list ;)

Couple of small things to report...

1) The old squad deployment chopper bug that you fixed recently has also happened to me when I used the chopper extraction for the enemy leader. The chopper appeared a slight second in the air and then disappeared. I waited for about 5 minutes and saw a message saying finding LZ but no chopper was in the area, the VIP took off on his own to find the chopper probably across country to wherever it landed. If I were him, I'd just escape completely and jam out to the Bahamas or some shiet lol.. A small thing but just wanted to bring it up in case that needed a fix.

2) I also noticed that when a supply destination is at a city like Ravanay towards the end of the map, it takes a really long time for that shipment to get there. I waited for about 30 minutes and more (even with time lapse 4.0x speed) and the shipment never arrived. Maybe if I would've waited longer than that? I know the next best thing is to go out and hunt for it, but I just wanted to report that in case the convoy might've got stuck somewhere and I failed to pinpoint its actual location. I got blown up by an roadside IED shortly after so couldn't tell you where the convoy really was after all. Damn those things are lethal in this mission. I get blown up by them a lot even while I'm disarming them. You miss to place the crosshairs perfectly on the IED for a second or two upon coming up to it and you're f'n FRIED! Very unforgiving. Certainly not worth risking your butt (or your teammate) for 1 point.

Edited by DeltaFiveOne
Added comment

Interesting.. I thought I squashed the chopper landing bug! I'll do more testing. Can you remember where on the map you were? Also, did you "restart" when you loaded the last update or "resume"?

I do have convoy min and max distance variables that I can tweak. Also, before changing the convoy start positions to be near the h.q., the start positions were random, so I could keep the convoy distances more consistent. I do have a statement that checks if the truck canMove so if it gets stuck, you *should* get a msg stating that local takistani's raided a broken down convoy truck and stole it's contents.. bla bla. something along those lines. If you didn't see that msg, it should have still been going. I can't remember if I remove a destination marker from your map, if the truck doesn't make it there and a new convoy starts. I will check that to see.

I have yet to get blown up by an IED ;) but haven't tried disarming that many. I could raise it to two points? Also, I can lower the number needed to disarm for intel on the IED factory, if that would make or more worth disarming them? Currently you need to disarm 7 to get the intel. But of course you have a chance to also get the intel from interrogations.

Thanks for the feed back Delta!

I have yet to get blown up by an IED

Consider yourself fourtunate!

After a couple of failed attempts, I think I have the disarming thing down. I don't see a need to tweak this. Is this "folkers ied" script? if so, what did you tweak to get the ied to explode exactly?

Yes, ht-57, it's Focker's;

- Using - Binesi's "BIN_taskDefend.sqf" script - for better defense!

- Using [FOCK] Mikie J's IED script

For SP mission - I had to remove the following to get them to explode.

waituntil {count playableUnits >= 1};