Sign in to follow this  
SaSSharp

AI Voices

You can already divide your squad/platoon into teams in Arma 2. Then instead of "1,2,3,4 go to that house" the leader says "Team Red, go to that house" or "Team Blue, go to that car." Or did you mean AI leaders?

Yes you can have colored teams but that doesn't fix the issue. Imagine 5 tanks, each tank with its own driver, gunner and commander. You want the gunner/commander to be in danger mode, and ready to fire at a moments notice. However, you also want the driver to stay on the road and not slow down at the hint of an enemy, so you ether put him on safe or aware. Now this is where you might say: "Why Victor, just makes the gunners/commanders team yellow and the drivers team blue," that still doesn't fix it. Also think of the time you'll have to devote to making them operate as a team, switching between command bars etc.

If you want the tanks to drive along the road, you have to make them move individually, otherwise they'll try to stay in formation which hardly gets them anywhere. If you could simply make the drivers be units 1-2-3-4-5 instead of 1, 4, 8, 12, 14 it would be easier to control them and move them around. The drivers could be 1-2-3-4-5, the gunners 6-7-8-9-10, and commanders 11-12-13-14-15. The radio would then simply say "6 through 14, danger and fire at will" instead of selecting 2-3-5-6-8-9-11-12-14-15, pressing 9, selecting a team, making a team, then pressing space, then selecting the team, then giving them the action. It takes way too long. If we simply could turn unit 4 unto unit 2 by double pressing F4 then F2 once, we could save a lot of headaches.

Edited by Victor

Most likely will be the same just hopefully less painful to listen too.

VO costs a lot of space and resources that could be spent on better things for Arma 3.

One thing I might ask - PLEASE make sure the voice actor who says the word "close" pronounces it "close" (e.g. that dog is too close) and not "cloze" (e.g. please close that door) :) always irritates me in ArmA2 ;)

And the officerly BAF voice who pronounces 'bush' as if it rhymes with 'hush'.

The voices are not from voice actors, they're not all from real people.

If you were to make every sound file ever to be used, it'd take a year more to come out and the game would be 5gb more of data.

If you read the manual, the credits on the back page have the names of all the voice actors. They are real people.

I personally don't mind the current voice. Besides I am more concerned with what the ai say than how they say it. And I am even more concerned about what they do other what they say. That is something I think is worth investing in. Better voices for a lot of work is IMO not worth it.

I think the voice acting is really lacking, it was one off the reasons I hated and didn't continue to play the arrowhead campaign.. Voice acting is more important than what some might give it credit for, just like weapon sounds etc.. All helps with the illusion and immersion.

I think the voice acting is really lacking, it was one off the reasons I hated and didn't continue to play the arrowhead campaign.. Voice acting is more important than what some might give it credit for, just like weapon sounds etc.. All helps with the illusion and immersion.

+1

Would be great to have shouting during battles and emotions in the voice.

The whispering since Arrowhead f.e. increased the immersion a lot for me.

I think the voice acting is more important than we give it credit for. A vast amount of atmosphere and tension can be created with your comrades' voices and radio speak alone.

The BAF voices definitely seemed to be a technical improvement, but they all sounded a little weird to me - accent/pronunciation wise.

I personally don't mind the current voice. Besides I am more concerned with what the ai say than how they say it. And I am even more concerned about what they do other what they say. That is something I think is worth investing in. Better voices for a lot of work is IMO not worth it.

This.

Whats the saying - over 90% communication is non verbal. I'd rather the AI hit that cover and stay there then eloquently reffering to "man...500" all the while standing/proning and ultimately dying in the Queens best.

I think what they have done with the voice acting is very nice. I wouldn't be disappointed if ArmaII's AI voice returned, it was nice knowing where to look for an enemy, and yeah it's not gonna be perfect.