Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Arma 3 hands on @ Gamescom 2012!

May I just point out that it would be immensely easy to turn Take on Trains into a war game. You'd just have to set it during WWI. I read about some pretty badass machine gun and cannon trains that operated on the Italian front.

Anyhow, now that everybody pointed out the trolling, can we discuss Arma 3 as it directly relates to Gamescom once again?

but at the GC, none word has came out about the Multiplayer aspect? game modes, modified Warfare, nothing?

Yeah it's only been single-player on display... not that that's surprising to me, it fits with Jay's own stated creative focus this year for ARMA 3, and that's more able to be shown off than, say, more under-the-hood efficiency in netcode.

EDIT: \/ More like 'that's what the community alpha is for'

Edited by Chortles

I guess they're still trying to figure out if PhysX is causing any issues on mp games... maybe that's the reason why bis won't show it

well, anyway we should be alil bit patient, we all weill be able to test this build somewhere later this year. Hearing about arma going futuristic, did scare me off a lot, but now after watching several screenshots and videos, it does look pretty much impressive to me. That futuristic look is realistic, the only thing what worries me, if they will make the game more simpler and acradish, compared to arma 2. Ideally to me, it were about same difficulty as arma 2, with enhanced sound, graphics, animation and physics, and less buggy and more optimized. About first 3 wishes, we already can see they did a step forward with it. Now we have 2 wait for alpha, to check its optimization and bugs by ourselves.

but at the GC, none word has came out about the Multiplayer aspect? game modes, modified Warfare, nothing?

Please check out this clip regarding MP....its not groundbreaking by any stretch of the imagination but it is at least one word about Multiplayer ArmA 3 :)

View at 5:12

http://videos.pcgames.de/video/10241/ArmA-3-Creative-Director-Ivan-Buchta-im-Interview

Anyone else feel the night was too bright? Idk, I think they took the complaints that night was too dark and went to the exact opposite side of the spectrum!
Gametrailers video is up!

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/oymbet/arma-iii-gc-2012--tech-demo-walkthrough--cam-

Damn those Apache rockets look amazing :O

NVM The night looks just grand in that video!

Please check out this clip regarding MP....its not groundbreaking by any stretch of the imagination but it is at least one word about Multiplayer ArmA 3 :)

View at 5:12

http://videos.pcgames.de/video/10241/ArmA-3-Creative-Director-Ivan-Buchta-im-Interview

Gosh i love those UHhhs :D Ivan Buchta FTW!

well, anyway we should be alil bit patient, we all weill be able to test this build somewhere later this year. Hearing about arma going futuristic, did scare me off a lot, but now after watching several screenshots and videos, it does look pretty much impressive to me. That futuristic look is realistic, the only thing what worries me, if they will make the game more simpler and acradish, compared to arma 2. Ideally to me, it were about same difficulty as arma 2, with enhanced sound, graphics, animation and physics, and less buggy and more optimized.
I would say that ARMA 3 is not arcadish, but the complexity is more "under the hood", and the presentation and UI DEFINITELY takes take cues from simpler and arcadish games. The hint pop-up system is an interesting example, as it appears to actually just evaluate the circumstances and offer a 'situation relevant' hint, which you could already access manually through the Field Manual in the Pause Menu; the experienced players can ignore or disable these pop-ups, new players can press the relevant key (H as of the GC build) to expand it. It's smaller than in the E3 alpha build though so hopefully it's not so unnoticeable that said new players would miss it (and thus it not serve its function).

Good to see so much energy... maybe too much coffee in the morning ? Thanks for the info IB.

There's a video where some dude acts as spotter for arty on a airfield at night then after some AA gets destroyed we see attack choppers engaging the remaining forces.

In the video those choppers are shot to pieces but they still don't get down,I assume they used some God mode for them which brings me to the conclusion that they fool people into thinking this time we have proper air support.My bet is we will have the same crap we have in A2CO and that is any ground unit spots a chopper and has any sort of mg,bang bang 2-3 times then that awesome chopper goes down in a minute.

Also I see they still didn't implemented a hold safe distance command for AI choppers when engaging,you know.....like real world gunships do.

I'm not impressed at all and was actually expecting more,true there is still time until release date but it's safe to assume they're just tweaking and fixing stuff at this time.I had some doubts but after seeing the videos I have even bigger doubts,at this stage A3 could be pretty much A2CO with nicer graphics,ragdoll and some lip job to AI,basically they made some here&there improvements to the infantry AI while they're still stupid at driving or piloting.Even in single player videos they show the island around by driving or flying but by them not the AI,the only AI action we see it's some infantry stuff.Hope they don't try to showcase a Ferrari while under the hood it's just a Camry.

Nice graphics&physics and the ability to change your gear sure are welcomed additions,but those won't fool me if AI is still stupid as buckets at driving&piloting part.

Will wait for community alpha.

Edited by Krycek

In ArmA, very few choppers can be shot down by 7.62mm (which I'm guessing the yellow tracers were). Only glass and tail rotor components are vulnerable, even to repeated fire.

But I agree, the AI sorely needs to hover when engaging with standoff weapons.

.. which brings me to the conclusion that they fool people into thinking this time we have proper air support.My bet is we will have the same crap we have in A2CO and that is any ground unit spots a chopper and has any sort of mg,bang bang 2-3 times then that awesome chopper goes down in a minute.

Yep 2-3 shots and those choppers go down :j:

@Riouken I guess you never realized there are other choppers in A2CO too,hmm something called Hind and many others.Apaches aren't the only ones with missiles.:j:

It's ok,you still have plenty of time to discover them until A3.

@Maturin,yup thats exactly the problem,the AI targets those two areas too good,that's why a hover command should be in the game.This way won't lead to discussions like which chopper has more hitpoints when flies above someone with an mg.

Edited by Krycek

@Riouken I guess you never realized there are other choppers in A2CO too,hmm something called Hind and many others.Apaches aren't the only ones with missiles.:j:

It's ok,you still have plenty of time to discover them until A3.

@Maturin,yup thats exactly the problem,the AI targets those two areas too good,that's why a hover command should be in the game.This way won't lead to discussions like which chopper has more hitpoints when flies above someone with an mg.

please copy Riouken's excellent video exactly with the chopper of your choice which goes down as quickly as you say to small arms fire or lose all credibility.

I never said small arms fire,I said any sort of MG,small arms fire could be even a Ak47 so how about you stop inventing words I never said.

Riouken used an 7.62mm,I used 12.7mm,while you could argue the difference in caliber my point still stands in-game,12.7 won't get any Apache or Cobra down in first 2-3 shots but wait,what do we have here......hmm yup one round in Mi-24 engine block and it gets down,sorry my fault actually,I said it takes 2-3 shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOWmwc5DKfM&feature=youtu.be

@Shagulon,don't need to remind you how an Mi-24 is build:

"The body is heavily armored and can resist impacts from .50 caliber (12.7 mm) rounds from all angles, including the titanium rotor blades.The cockpit is protected by ballistic-resistant windscreens and a titanium-armored tub."

The point you Shagulon and Riouken seems to miss was that my post wasn't about how a chopper goes down from mg fire,but about the AI.Specifically the part where they drive and pilot.I expected some more cover on this issue and wanted see if there was any improvement on how things work this time(better driving,hover command for gunships when engaging etc).

GC was a good occasion to show if they improved things AI-side but I can only say I had a deja vu when I saw those gunships attack the airfield.

Krycek hit the nail on the head. Helicopters fire their missiles as they make their run in then fly right in low over their target to get shot down by other enemy elements. Never fails. I was thinking about this the other day. And motorized columns on a road...will this finally work with the AI in A3? somehow I doubt it.

Some particle effects at 2:11 -

That was weird, kinda like how the volumetric clouds react to movement.

Edited by Foxhound
do not quote an embedded video!

What? I don't see anything weird, to me it looks awesome.

That was weird, kinda like how the volumetric clouds react to movement.

It is actually me playing on that video.

It looks fine ;) to me.

Edited by Papanowel

It is actually me playing on that video.

Thanks for uploading the video, the particle effects look great!

Did movement feel more fluid than in Arma2?

Krycek hit the nail on the head. Helicopters fire their missiles as they make their run in then fly right in low over their target to get shot down by other enemy elements. Never fails. I was thinking about this the other day. And motorized columns on a road...will this finally work with the AI in A3? somehow I doubt it.

To add my 2 cents, I always find AI mounted machine guns have pinpoint accuracy on targeting the cockpit. T72s expecially. Armour on a chopper isn't much use when the pilot can be killed so easily. I know the dsvk was designed with a dual anti-infantry/anti-air role in mind but in Arma they're so effective you can look at T72s as AA units.