Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Arma 3 hands on @ Gamescom 2012!

It is stupid as there really have do not have use other then initializing all those other move, not to mention that it is actually lethal to do that(You ain't looking for "work", nor you are ready to due with it under this state, and I don't think I really need to repeat all those ricochet problem IRL here)

What are you suggesting? Make everything automatic leaving you in no control of movement most of the time?

You shouldn't be stick with the walls to from the start.

EDIT: Lets clear this further, When I said automatic, I means whenever you press lean or crouch, if you are close to an object where you have enough height and distance to clear it, you should automaticlly have your weapon "rest" on the object and only expose anything above your rifle barrel, meaning that you do not need to remember the hold over of your stance yourself.

Edited by 4 IN 1

I'm not asking that. I'm asking what would you offer as a solution when there is a need to adjust your stance to make a better use of cover? I find modifier key a good solution for those situations.

I'm not asking that. I'm asking what would you offer as a solution when there is a need to adjust your stance to make a better use of cover? I find modifier key a good solution for those situations.

No one said modifier key is a bad solution, it just that its not the best neither, and when I said "press X to stuck to a wall" I REALLY DO MEAN "press X" and "get stuck to a wall"

I am against an automatic system myself.

If you approach a low cover like a chest high wall or an opening like a window, how does the game know what you wish to do?

You may not want to expose yourself or aim, but instead take full cover like in situations when you're under fire or stealthy approaching a dangerous zone.

Games with a cover system are usually have the whole gameplay constructed around it, with environment and enemies adjusted for that. Usually (but not always) there is no other way to play the game than run from cover to cover and press a key to pop up to shoot back.

Arma does not have such a predefined gameplay nor environment (linear approaches and conveniently sized cover) and furthermore, it could very much affect third-party environments and missions which would need to be carefully adjusted to that.

BI know what they're doing as they have said they investigated that option and found it that it doesn't work.

As they also mentioned, analog control would have been best.

I was recently seduced into trying out a gamepad along with the mouse and was delighted to find that character movement responded to the push of the analog stick matching slow walking to full sprinting.

It was intiutive and immersive.

The way I understand it BI is expanding the analog movement of the character in the third space relating analog controls to the rise of the body. It would be very nice if slow analog stick movements would translate into a slow motion from standing up to crouch and prone in various stages and a quick jerk of the stick to throwing yourself on the ground from running or quickly getting up from the ground.

Naturally, the keyboard being a binary device, as BI devs mentioned, it is restricted to controlling the stances via extra keys and modifiers.

They will be testing the keyboard layouts people using during the alpha testing and selecting the most common as default, but I believe that they will leave other methods of control for others to explore and use.

Now, can we get back into the topic?

The subject of character control has split into at least three different threads (CQB, Better Mouse Controls,...).

And more of Ivan Buchta, with his presentation of the gameplay showcase for PCGames.de:

We get a better glimpse of the claymore mine, but that's all in terms of new information.

I have never said you would automatic go into lean or crouch mode, you still have to press the key to lean/crouch, you just automatically be adject to the correct height(if allowed) and have weapon rest on the closest objects and make it more stable, you still be able to disengage from it just by walking away or pressing lean/crouch key again to return to normal. Think of it a more advance way from RO.

And again, no one here is holding developer at gun point to force them to change anything, people just gives(and sometime defense) their idea.

are there some users online who had hands on the new version on Gamescom yet and maybe have a small review ro something prepared?

I have never said you would automatic go into lean or crouch mode, you still have to press the key to lean/crouch, you just automatically be adject to the correct height(if allowed) and have weapon rest on the closest objects and make it more stable, you still be able to disengage from it just by walking away or pressing lean/crouch key again to return to normal. Think of it a more advance way from RO.

IMO, RO way would be the best way to go. You have the traditional way of doing thing and once you get into cover mode you have you height adjusted to the cover, can peek up and to the sides, blind fire (I already can hear whinners), lean to the sides\up exposing less of your body then the normal lean and to exit this "mode" is just press S or vault over the cover. All of this using the default controls + one key to enter cover "mode". Ah yeah, rest is present and you don't even need to press any key to activate it (except for MGs).

For those that didn't play RO yet (and probably make false assumptions for the system), it is not something that you often use, but when you do it is natural, fast, intuitive and you don't feel stuck like many other games (well, all others are TPS and the cover system ssems to create an "invisible shield" for the char, which isn't the case here).

Anyway that game was kind of created with that system in mind which isn't the case here. Since BIS is (starting to?) working in this department, have at least more then one scheme for controls and one of the main reasons for the Alpha is this, I'll sit and wait.

are there some users online who had hands on the new version on Gamescom yet and maybe have a small review ro something prepared?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?137130-Arma-3-hands-on-Gamescom-2012!&p=2210303&viewfull=1#post2210303

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?137130-Arma-3-hands-on-Gamescom-2012!&p=2210340&viewfull=1#post2210340

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?122794-ARMA-3-development-blog-amp-reveals&p=2210646&viewfull=1#post2210646

You may just read a couple of pages back ;)

And more of Ivan Buchta, with his presentation of the gameplay showcase for PCGames.de:

We get a better glimpse of the claymore mine, but that's all in terms of new information.

There was one in one of the videos posted in the past week. The player sets it, takes a few steps back and blows up three targets with it I believe. There have been so many videos that I don't remember which one it was in though. That or I may have dreamed it up like Skittle Brow.

There was one in one of the videos posted in the past week. The player sets it, takes a few steps back and blows up three targets with it I believe. There have been so many videos that I don't remember which one it was in though. That or I may have dreamed it up like Skittle Brow.

I have been there on Sunday 19th. I have got a "hands on" experience and well ... I will tell about this on an other place.

Of course I have not bring back home a piece of computer showing " I was there ..." but I will share with you some pictures from the Gamescom 2012.

First, as I was looking for Ivan Buchta, I had asked the "it's not your turn" strict but charming boss :

where%20is%20Ivan_1_mlo.jpg

During all the day, I have seen guys coming in the small Bohemia Interactive booth for the short -timed- "hands on" experience ... and the BIS team has endlessly help everybody in an incredible noisy deafening environment. For me, they have been very patient and good teacher. I think that we can all thank them for that.

stand%20bis%201_low.jpg

But to be frank, I know I have been received as a very special guest due to the fact I was from Armed Assault info, nevertheless, I must say I have delighted by Ivan welcome, and by the fact he shares some precious beer from his special reserve with me.

pilsener%20urquell1_low.jpg

The "hands on" experience has been a great one form me so far.

Once again, I thank all the Bohemia Team for what they have done for me.

Now, I am waiting eagerly the next step ... the Community Alpha release !

Edited by Old Bear

Thanks, Madeon. One can always find something new with these walkthroughs. MRLS arty was firing from 3 KM away - that's one narrow arc, I wonder how high do they go before reaching the apex. :) Ooh, you can designate targets with the SDV periscope, which means I'll be a frequent guest in your harbour, destroying your base. :icon_twisted:

Underwater lightning looks Great! It must've been a very sunny day, as you can make out the clouds clearly reflecting sunlight down to the surface, rose tint could signify morning time.

At 8:15 you can almost make out the exact shape of the muzzle flash suppressor used by the muzzle that it produces, detail is so high.

8:30 infantry sprinting kicks up dust.

Engineers have visual detection built-in for mines, which are designated by a red triangle - this can be turned off in higher difficulties with no aid given whatsoever. No info whether regular personnel will be able to disarm and re-use simple traps, such as tripwires.

10:35 - Jumping frog mine. Barely seen in the ground. :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

Whats with the tinned beans in that pic above? :D

Whats with the tinned beans in that pic above? :D

Rofl at beans pic :)

That is Item in game that other player are willing to kill you for (Dayz) :)

Looking forward to your hands on experience Old bear!

@ Iroquois Pliskin : I have spend some time in the mine area under Ivan command .... I have been able to disarm the jumping mine and the tripwire and re-used them afterwards. I have been able to detonate the jumping mine in the distance with a rifle shot.

sounds promising but still to kill someone so easy.all bullets fly straight no dispersion and distances looks much closer than they in real life.Green so called night view have much greater view distance compare to realistic devices.as far as I see so most progress done on simulation of the world, not on weapons/devices level.

sounds promising but still to kill someone so easy.all bullets fly straight no dispersion and distances looks much closer than they in real life.Green so called night view have much greater view distance compare to realistic devices.as far as I see so most progress done on simulation of the world, not on weapons/devices level.

if u think, ballistic is unrealistic, then wait for ACE 3.0, about night vision, you said it has greater view distance then in real life. Well, you know, arma 3 is in near future, so why not? I wouldn't wonder, if they would implement some colored night vision too. What do you mean, to kill someone is so easy? At Jay Crowe pcgamesDE last video, we could see, how easy the enemies can kill you, so whats wrong?

@Old Bear. I don't suppose you intend to write an article on ArmedAssault.info about what you thought of ArmA 3 or any of the other products you saw at Gamescom?

InstaGoat has previously posted something like this (LINK), but it would be interesting to see it from your point of view as well.

if u think, ballistic is unrealistic, then wait for ACE 3.0, about night vision, you said it has greater view distance then in real life. Well, you know, arma 3 is in near future, so why not? I wouldn't wonder, if they would implement some colored night vision too. What do you mean, to kill someone is so easy? At Jay Crowe pcgamesDE last video, we could see, how easy the enemies can kill you, so whats wrong?

we are not playing ace in arma2,what reason we gonna play it in a3 ? green view thermal view was mostly replaced with IR view devices and impossible to have better view distance due to other reasons,not because not yet developed.

The reason that I can be killed also so easy not make it right approach to present small arms fire in game.Simply compare worlds records sniper riffle with game and you will understand what I'm talking about.

@ Iroquois Pliskin : I have spend some time in the mine area under Ivan command .... I have been able to disarm the jumping mine and the tripwire and re-used them afterwards. I have been able to detonate the jumping mine in the distance with a rifle shot.

Cool, were you playing a regular infantry when disarming the mines?

Great info on PhysX and graphics of the environments; I think 3D editor can be added in some later expansion, it's vital to focus on core gameplay at this moment.

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

we are not playing ace in arma2,what reason we gonna play it in a3 ? green view thermal view was mostly replaced with IR view devices and impossible to have better view distance due to other reasons,not because not yet developed.

The reason that I can be killed also so easy not make it right approach to present small arms fire in game.Simply compare worlds records sniper riffle with game and you will understand what I'm talking about.

as far i know, BIS making realistic combat simulator, not full realism. Nobody except some military freaks, would play totall realism game. Play VBS Us Arma Light if you want more realism, or wait for VBS 3.