Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Arma 3 hands on @ Gamescom 2012!

I see it a lot in ArmA 2, mostly when transitioning to prone or crawling around. Not really sure what causes it, it seems like a shader glitch though because you will sometimes see the small "bumps" in terrain get larger and smaller depending on how you look at it.

That would be the POM (Parallax Occlusion Mapping) at work, sadly in Arma 2's case the distance is so short that it pops up and dissapears rather than blend in, like this. http://i.minus.com/ib8RQi.jpg

Thank you, for everyone here! Helps a lot to receive some positive feedback from time to time.

Well everyone that worked with the animations should feel proud in my book. I don't know if it was so natural that I missed it or if they were new but I couldn't believe even the first few seconds of the driving video! Having hands locked to the steering wheel is a great improvement but I hadn't expected the fingers to fidget around a bit or the characters body to visually show inertial effects (for those that missed it, when the car brakes on the bump the players arm visibly moves back and up a bit rather to indicate the jar)

Likewise the water animations look wonderful, very smooth transition and I like how the character is still swimming while pulling the gun out (likewise how water seems to have some drag to it now compared to running on ground)

everything just feels so connected and rich now, very organic and alive that to a point, it's easy to miss the more subtle things such as how the hands hold the rifles in different ways rather than the 'one fits all' from arma 2.

Nice of the team to invest some time in sidearms, threw me for a moment when I saw the guy put the gun on his shoulder while at the same time pulling the pistol and to see that it actually has visible kickback and moving slides, I love little touches like that.

-----

Physics seem to be coming along nicely as well, when the car was going full speed to those rocks I was thinking "Oh crap it's going to stop dead.." but nope..and it looks as though the player had the same "..wait did I just smoothely pass over those?" reaction. Truth be told I think all of the A3 team should be feeling proud right about now, the game is shaping up so well that it certainly deserves the title of next iteration.

EDIT: Never thought I'd say this but I love the HDR in Arma now, it was such a relief to see the NVG's go on next to the camp fire and rather than adjust, the fire goes bright white without killing the scene and it punctuations reflections from all objects.

I know I'm rambling like a little schoolgirl and that there is still plenty of work to be done, but I think a bit of praise wouldn't go amiss, and I am really impressed with what we're seeing so far and how so many systems come together to compliment one another.

Edited by NodUnit

If you'd mentioned you're from community, I'd let you play further ;)

I am going there tomorrow so if I tell you my nickname you let me play longer? :D

I am going there tomorrow so if I tell you my nickname you let me play longer? :D

Please let him watch "all the things", he'll report back to the French speaking community :cool:

Anyone else feel the night was too bright? Idk, I think they took the complaints that night was too dark and went to the exact opposite side of the spectrum!

Nope. That is the moon reflecting the sun light.

There are some videos of a more darker night without moon or with clouds obstructing it. Well, the last I haven't seen but some BIS guy said that.

If you'd mentioned you're from community, I'd let you play further ;)

It's the keyword which unlocks all secrets, for example PurePassion and InstaGoat got presentation of the content normally available only in business section ;)

I already got all my notes, i've been flying enough choppas in A2 and TKOH for a lifetime ;)

When are we gonna see some boats and planes AND TRAINS!?!?!?!?

Don't worry. Even though it's not specifically showcased in the GC demo, the Limnos train and railway system is already accurately simulated. :)

Don't worry. Even though it's not specifically showcased in the GC demo, the Limnos train and railway system is already accurately simulated. :)

Great. What about all the other Mediterranean islands you said you were working on?

I am sure he means the Pan-Aegean Railway which is a grand project that connects major islands and the mainland using bridges and underwater tunnels through which will run a new generation maglev train. The project has slowed down due to the recent economic crisis but I am sure that in Armaverse it continues, perhaps with the assistance of the occupiers which use it to transfer resources, ammo and slaves.

ohh yes, me want trainz!! Btw, why was Chernarus trains system cut? I saw in some arma 2 trailer, there was a train driving between Elektro and Cherno.

When are we gonna see some boats and planes AND TRAINS!?!?!?!?

I don't think Limnos has any goddamn trains

Using google earth I don't see any railways.

EDIT: Feel free to look for yourself -> https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Lemnos,+Limnos,+Greece&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=55.806079,135.263672&oq=Lemnos,+Greece&t=h&hnear=N%C3%ADsos+L%C3%ADmnos&z=11

I don't think Limnos has any goddamn trains

Using google earth I don't see any railways.

EDIT: Feel free to look for yourself -> https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Lemnos,+Limnos,+Greece&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=55.806079,135.263672&oq=Lemnos,+Greece&t=h&hnear=N%C3%ADsos+L%C3%ADmnos&z=11

Okay, fine, maybe lemnoes will not have any trains on it but Arma 3 sure will!! http://twitter.com/KarelMoricky/status/230674659803291649/photo/1/large

---------- Post added at 03:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 AM ----------

I would buy Take On Choo-Choos in an instant!

Take on Trains has a nice ring to it though don't you think?

That doesn't mean much. A2 has tracks\rails, models for trains and guess what?

Well yeah, I wasn't really expecting to see trains in my earlier post, as I don't REALLY expect them to be fully functioning in A3, that was more of a joke, but, jokes aside I really would like to see boats and planes as we have not seen them in action since last year.

master-troll-e1301323817393.jpg