Sign in to follow this  
pod265

Best Mods for Arma 2 OA

I have just bought Arma 2 OA and patched to 1.60.

I would like to know if there are any mods that people consider 'essential' to play this game, whether beacuse they add important functionality or just because they make the missions more enjoyable?

Yes, I have read this forum but there are sooooo many mods etc, not sure where to start. Or maybe the best advice is to stick with what I have!

Thanks

Bill Miller

For me personally I couldn't play without J.S.R.S, ACE2, WarFX: Blastcore and JTD Fire & Smoke. I would call those my 'essential' mods. I'd avoid ACE2 for a while if your brand new and just get used to vanilla first. The others are sound/visual improvements that won't effect gameplay.

Most mods now use arma2 CO (A2+OA installed together), but you can always go to Armaholic check download section http://www.armaholic.com/list.php?c=files, and you must read what mods need only OA for playing and what mods need A2 or A2CO.

For me the best mods are:

soundmod: JSRS

effects, explosions etc: WarFX Blastcore,

for realism: many people play with ACE.

Weclome to the community! You've come to the right place.

1. Install the latest beta patch. Don't be scared by the label, they're a significant improvement on the official patch not only in terms of features and performance but even stability. Moreover it won't mess with your official patch as it install in parallel

2. Optimise the game correctly (as described here) to get it running smoothly and looking good.

3. Enjoy the game as it is (vanilla)

4. When you get frustrated with the game's limitations (hours? days? weeks? months?), install Six Updater and start trying mods to "correct" those bits of the game that you think need improving, e.g. ASR AI for better AI, JSRS mod for better audio, etc.

5. If that sounds like too much work and/or you want to jump in at the deep end, you could try installing a TC (Total Conversion) mod that affects just about every aspect of the game, e.g. COWarMod or ACE2

6. If and when you want to play online I strongly recommend using an alternative application for voice comms such as TeamSpeak. When you're ready to take it to the next level, consider the ACRE mod

Hope that helps!

I love ACE2 but as said its down to you give them all a go.

The great thing with arma is you can have many many mods installed and have multple EXE`s for different setups

I have just bought Arma 2 OA and patched to 1.60.

I would like to know if there are any mods that people consider 'essential' to play this game, whether beacuse they add important functionality or just because they make the missions more enjoyable?

Yes, I have read this forum but there are sooooo many mods etc, not sure where to start. Or maybe the best advice is to stick with what I have!

Thanks

Bill Miller

My advice to people who ask this question is always: play the game vanilla for a while, and get a feel for how the game is supposed to work, and then wonder what part, for you, could be improved. Chances are there are several mods that will interest you in this/these areas. As mentioned above, everyone has a different idea on what they imagine is important. For me it's AI enhancements that give AI extra abilities like medical aid etc.

And now? You you know as much as you knew before starting the thread.

Still, useful thread for a newcomer to the community. There are people who don't know what ACE, JSRS or JTD Fire&Smoke is. Since some of the threads are buried deep within the forums, it's not easy to find them unless you're an "old timer". So, a "best of thread" asking frequenters to give advice is the best thing to do. I don't understand the "punishing" attutide and negativity of these forums. Every response up to yours was positive.

The ACE2 mod will give you a very different experience. If you want to stick to a pretty much vanilla gameplay, with several tweaks like AI and Effects i suggest you try the SLX Mod.

Plus the SLX mod is compatible with most other addons!

The best addons are always those which are required to play on your favorite server or with your favorite friends.

Forum search? The option to search is present in every forum, subforum and even in every thread. It's not really hard to enter "Ace2" into a search field and hit enter you know. For that you don't have to be an "old timer".

Given that you know the existence of ACE2 in the first place :)

pod265 - as you are new, learn not to ask such question, cause many people spend their time on making mods and we should not say which is better and which than is worse, just open www armaholic com, section addons, download them for free and check which you like, but dont make modders to act like in rats race, cause everyone tries his best in his free time, also you might not know that some people spend for example year of their life to make island (for free) and it should not be underestimated

so just visit armaholic com and check any addons there

ASR AI - improves the AI's combat behaviour considerably

Hetman Artifical Commander - adds a strategic layer, either to play strategically against the AI or to be commanded by an AI general. Very immersive.

DAC - makes the spawning of units and "insta" missions a breeze

TPWC Suppression - introduces suppression affects

These all address what many regard as shortcomings in the vanilla single player game.

After that there are many many excellent total conversions, new islands, new units, new editor modules to play with, all of which are on Armaholic.

Yes, I have read this forum but

No you haven't. You need to read, read, read then read again. Yes there are lots of mods out there but you need to choose.

Oh and by the way ... welcome to the Armaverse :)

For me personally I couldn't play without J.S.R.S, ACE2, WarFX: Blastcore and JTD Fire & Smoke. I would call those my 'essential' mods. I'd avoid ACE2 for a while if your brand new and just get used to vanilla first. The others are sound/visual improvements that won't effect gameplay.

These are some of the client side mods I have (I have almost 5 zillion other mods including ACE/ACRE)

In addition to JSRS and warfx and JTD fire/smoke

Also

bd tracers

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12427

partial nv clear (night vision) http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6355

jtd clear horizons http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9202

oktnoblur http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=10222

Edited by Haviv

ASR AI - improves the AI's combat behaviour considerably

DAC - makes the spawning of units and "insta" missions a breeze

TPWC Suppression

Add in ace2 (fantaztic) and you have my basic must haves

Oh, and dayz which is by far the most popular.

But don't limit yourself, and there are so many great ones to try out.

The ACE2 mod will give you a very different experience. If you want to stick to a pretty much vanilla gameplay, with several tweaks like AI and Effects i suggest you try the SLX Mod.

Plus the SLX mod is compatible with most other addons!

Don't use the original SLX - great though it is, it has lots of bugs. Look for the thread on "COSLX", Gunter Severloh's excellent debugged & well-documented version.

@vilas: +1, my sentiments exactly. Though I've yet to complete a mod or addon myself, I have great respect for & gratitude to the people who give the community so many brilliant additions to the game.

Edited by Orcinus

PR for public PvP action. Not that realistic as ACE but provides a solid PvP experience without joining a unit and downloading a ton of mods.

Invasion 44 for some WW2 action. Unfortunately ppl mostly play it with coop so no PvP action pretty much at all...

DayZ - Zombies zombies zombies