Sign in to follow this  
Swedish Mercenary

No pilot - no controls

Imagine this, your out flying in your helo and your on your way to pick up some rangers from a completed mission, later when youre on your way back to base the pilot gets struck in the head by a round fired from a shilka but the helo is still in good shape but you can´t controle it because the pilot is dead.

Can´t BIS implement a way to always have a co-pilot/gunner that can take over the flight controles if the pilot is KIA.

Maybe they can make an "action" in the action-selection like when you choose "manual fire" or something like that.

i agree with you that would be great and more realistic

and give more chance for survivors of the attack

When crashing, the pilot should shout "Mayday, mayday! All, eject!" or something like that, while the sound of the rotor looses pitch and the cabin is filled with smoke. This would be so kewl!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from WKK Gimbal on 7:08 am on Nov. 28, 2001

When crashing, the pilot should shout "Mayday, mayday! All, eject!" or something like that, while the sound of the rotor looses pitch and the cabin is filled with smoke. This would be so kewl!<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, that would rock. BIS could make it so that a hidden smokegrenade ingites when the cockpit is hit...That would look cool.

I'd like to see the standard load for all air crews (pilots and gunners) to include smoke grenades (red, green), for emergency marking a location for pick up when downed.  The load as it is now (6 hand grenades) seems to be a bit too much for an air crew to carry.  I'd give crews 2 smoke grenades and maybe 2 grenades.

I'm all for co-pilots, making the aircraft a 3 man operated unit.  Have the pilot the commander.  He will fly the chopper by default.  The co-pilot would be the driver.  He just sits there until either the commander is killed or ejects, or if the commander tells him to take over on controlls, like if I want the co-pilot to control the helicoptor, I'd use the command keys to 'order' him to 'get in, pilot', and he would stay in his co-pilot seat but would be in controll of the aircraft, going along it's course/waypoints.

I'm asking this because I've made a mission where i got to fly into a village to pick up a 6-man team, and i got over 70 enemy closing in on the village.  I've must of played this little mission over 100 times, and time after time, the helicotor would be only 25% damaged, an I (the pilot) would be killed and the aircraft would plow into the ground.  Or worse yet is when I'm on the LZ and the men are gettin in, and i'm looking through the windshield and see enemy 75m away and all those muzzle flashes shooting at me, and then I die.  Well the chopper is still flyable, the rotars are going at normal RPM, and a co-pilot could be able to take over for me, if there was one.

-=Die Alive=-

(Edited by Die Alive at 1:15 pm on Nov. 28, 2001)

You could do this stuff about killing the pilot and the copilot taking over with scripting easily smile.gif

Just don't ask me to do it.

Ok, the UH-60 with rockets, the gunner is sitting next to you, the pilot.  In the MG Uh-60, the seat next to the pilot seat remains empty.  Now to script a way that has a 'copilot' to teleport into the pilot seat wouldn't be so realistic.  The guy should be next to you at all times and when you die, he's there already.  The rocket blackhawk, the gunner would be then left to fly the helicoptor, and he's sitting in the co-pilot seat.  But in the MG blackhawk, to have the gunner to jump from his gunning window to the pilot seat isn't as realistic.  It *could* be done, maybe in the movies, but not in OFP.  At the speed that you crash at in a helicoptor, it would be totally unrealistic.

-=Die Alive=-

s**t this idea rocks. I also love the idea with the smoke, it would be freaky smile.gif. I played last day a Flight Practice with Kilelr(my friend) and it rocked(a10 vs Mi24), lots of missiles everywhere. It would be 10 times better if we woudl had smoke i ncockpit when the chopper is hurt!!