Sign in to follow this  
phaeden

MCAGCC 29 Palms (Island and Buildings) almost ready for Public BETA

Looking good, This is going to be the new host to my "Training Grounds" mission when I you get V 1.0 out.

I appreciate the positive comments! It helps to keep me focused on getting it done.

I have removed any shine the lights have so they are just points of lights. The down side is that they don't illuminate anything when you are near them (like a street light does). The up side is that they look great from a distance and through NVGs. I figured that the ups outweighed the downs and therefore have left them that way. I would like feedback on this item once I release the BETA. I have notice a few inconsistencies with the lights and I am working on it - i.e. I have to load the map twice in order for all the lights to come on - no idea what's going on there but at least I know the workaround.

I did some experiencing with putting landing strip lights inside the model of streetlights. It looked good at distance, but the color was wrong (clear yellow). And the original streetlight was shining thru at close up...

But im a noob with modding stuff, but maybe you could make something with it?

And this guys " http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?124123-AEG-ArmA-Electrical-Grids-(Script-Pack-and-Addon) " mod is fantastic ( http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=15178 ), i really think you should add it to the map!

it would be a cool thing to have the option to switch certain landing strips lights on and off for example :)

Phew, how many times did i wrote "lights"...

Outstanding work, I trust you've modeled Camp Wilson in all its depressing glory.

Camp Wilson is in there but it is a modified version. Instead of trying to replicate every building correctly with the right style and location, I went with a method that would help keep my sanity. There is a "Camp Wilson" but it is not as ... wonderful as the real one.

Whoah .... don't know about the island, but the pictures are bloody beautiful !!

Thanks Gnat - hopefully you'll enjoy the island as your posts on the forums have helped me in making it.

@johanna - that looks really interesting. I will look at it this weekend to see how much work it would take to get it working on Palms. Thanks for the info!

Can buildings be used by AI similar to OA buildings?

Theoretically, yes. I have had the AI move around in through the buildings and take up appropriate fighting positions. However, I have also had them act like complete idiots and take up positions outside the houses as well.

I haven't been able to make the Modules work correctly either yet - AI won't spawn correctly when using the Modules.

Any help is appreciated on figuring this out.

Love the alpha version that is floating around, really good map for doing any sort of artillery on since you can get view distances way up and still have really good performance to do proper FO work. Looking forward to a public release.

wow, the screens show massive improvements from when 29 palms was

in the ACE1 team

Looking forward to revisit, keep it up! :)

@johanna - that looks really interesting. I will look at it this weekend to see how much work it would take to get it working on Palms. Thanks for the info!

i actully think the mod creator can do it for you... He is really devoted.

I tried to pair him to the creator of Fallujah. He was like, -"Yes i will do it, i just have to contact the mapmaker!" But the creator of fallujah hasn´t been online for a long time...

Give him a PM ;)

Woa, looks amazing, how large is the map?

Chernarus is 20x20 right? Either way, I'm sure I'm going to spend hours on this map learning it.

The map is roughly 20x20 km. There area no water areas so the entire thing is playable space. There are a few mountain areas that are fairly steep but are not a problem for infantry.

As for the lighting, it was a lot of trial and error. It is still not perfect but I think I have reached the limits of the engine and while other minor changes may bring better lighting at one time of day or weather condition over another, I think that it represents the overall feel of 29 Palms.

Edited by phaeden

Beyond excited for the BETA Will come in handy for a campaign I am working on!!! Plus I'm looking forward to tinkering around with a realistic MOUT site.

Looking bloody awesome mate.

Look forward to using this one.

Awesome map. I spent many a day and night at MCAGCC 29 Stumps during my six year stint in the Corps. Looking forward to revisiting it. Was trying to look for the Enlisted Club, The Warriors Club, aka the Hook and Jab. Many a fight broke out there. Nice EAF (Expeditionary Airfield)!

There is also a downed C130 on the western edge of the base. As seen here.

http://googlesightseeing.com/2007/01/mystery-plane-crash/

Just in case anyone was wondering the crew survived.

lol @ Fetus - I found that site as well but it is too far to the west and is just outside of my map. If I remember and I have the map open, I may throw a wreck somewhere on the western edge.

As for the e-club, etc. they are not present - at least not as anything resembling what they really look like. The buildings are more or less on the map but it is not a 1 to 1 scale by any stretch of the imagination. It has already taken me 4 years to get to this point - if I was going to do it 1:1, it would take another 4!

It will hopefully have it ready very soon. No dates yet but I wouldn't have posted unless I was very close. I have a few more buildings that I have to finish and then I'll get it up somewhere for people to download and test.

Semper Fi

Looking very good! Very nice satmap aswell!

Having been in 29 Palms for schooling for too many months, I will happily download this if only to strafe mainside repeatedly in an A-10. :)

Having been in 29 Palms for schooling for too many months, I will happily download this if only to strafe mainside repeatedly in an A-10. :)

Any Marine worth his salt hates 29 palms.

Seems like a very good map!

P.S. Could it be possible to focus on the ground terrain as it looks like the only flaw! But they may be from just the pictures!

P.S. Could it be possible to focus on the ground terrain as it looks like the only flaw! But they may be from just the pictures!

What do you mean? What type of screens would you like to see?