Sign in to follow this  
feralcircus

Stop complaining about clunky controls & try this...

Apologies in advance if I'm telling you something that you already know (just trying to help :-)...

I originally posted this in the ARMA 3 forum but it got locked because It's not related to ARMA 3

It is related to the ARMA series in general as they all use a similar control system...

Out of curiosity I've just started using the Xbox controller under the left hand (only cost £16) and re-mapped all the controls...

With the Xbox controller layed flat on the desk...

I control the analogue stick with my middle finger (resting on top) leaving my index finger free for changing stance, weapons etc...

There's actually 4 progressive movement speeds (from creeping to sprinting) for the upright position, 4 speeds for the crouching position and 2 when prone (i never knew this) :-s

So you just push the stick (with one finger) in the direction you want to go, and the amount you push determines the speed (instead of tying three fingers into an elaborate plait)

So...

Xbox controller under left hand (movement)

Mouse in right hand (turning, aiming & firing)

Trackir on head (looking & leaning)

keyboard (other commands & functions)

Hopefully when ARMA 3 is released this method will work even better :-)

No more W,A,S,D for me

Try it :-)

Been playing with x-box controller and G700 mouse combination for years now, way more variable than above. :P

Analogue movement to match the superior analogue aim of the mouse, the keyboard can't match it.

Only ever have to touch the keyboard to ask "Are there are any friendlies in electro?"

Analogue movement may be superior to the keyboard but ain't essentially needed. Having every function you need at your fingertips without searching is worth it. Having even a second layer of controls for vehicle combat at a keypress is really relaxing ... :) But you know, it's a matter of personal preference.

sounds interesting, i will try to use the keyboard with my feet, and between the legs i put the joystick, so all kind of movement should be covered.

sounds interesting, i will try to use the keyboard with my feet, and between the legs i put the joystick, so all kind of movement should be covered.

this method changed the controls of just the left hand (nothing else) and has a more natural feel with more variable speeds using only one finger. the keyboard is still within a couple of inches or commanding ai... but I've re-mapped the pad to do everything I need quickly in a battle... Trust me it is much easier & better. :-)

Is the thumbstick analog?

The logitech g13 stick is not analog, and that made me throwing it to my (computercemeterybox) in the basement...

Unfortunately not. It's an eight way d-pad.

But you know, it's a matter of personal preference.

THIS!

there is no such thing as better or worse when it comes to keyboard /mouse vs controller.

personally i find controllers are too slow when it comes to the hairy moments where you need to turn to direction of fire quickly, in certain games they do excel though (Assa creed for example)

Its good to have alternatives and people mentioning those. But in the end its up to each and every player to decide what is most comfortable.

THIS!

there is no such thing as better or worse when it comes to keyboard /mouse vs controller.

personally i find controllers are too slow when it comes to the hairy moments where you need to turn to direction of fire quickly, in certain games they do excel though (Assa creed for example)

Its good to have alternatives and people mentioning those. But in the end its up to each and every player to decide what is most comfortable.

The Razer is a keyboard, sort of. Just fully programmable with multiple layers and for the left hand to be used in combination with a mouse.

when it comes to the hairy moments where you need to turn to direction of fire quickly

With this method you still turn and aim accurately with the mouse as normal...

But instead of using 4 fingers on W,A,S,D + shift for a different speed, you use only ONE finger on an analogue stick with progressive speeds.