Sign in to follow this  
Poncho

OA retail installation problem

Hi everybody,

i have just decided to install operation arrowhead, problem is just that i get an error message at about 20% of the installation from the ca.pbo file wich says "crc doesnt match", so i searched the web for this issue and i found out that its either my disc or my drive being the problem, now anyways i could install Arma2 without any problems, so i guess it must be the disc, wich still leaves me kinda annoyed of course im not gonna buy a new copy as i already have one Oo.

Still wanting to play, i tried to register my Retail version via Steam wich didnt work at all with the given cd-key, my question now, is there ANY way to get this game registered over steam from the retail product ? oO i also googled the shit out of it but it doesnt seem like theres any topic on this, at least i couldnt find one.

id really appreciate your help, thanks in advance.

Phil.

Still wanting to play, i tried to register my Retail version via Steam wich didnt work at all with the given cd-key, my question now, is there ANY way to get this game registered over steam from the retail product ? oO i also googled the shit out of it but it doesnt seem like theres any topic on this, at least i couldnt find one.

I'm afraid no.

Depending on when you bought the disc (hopefully very recently) & where you live, you could ask the retailer for a replacement.

However, worth looking closely at the disc - is it clean? Does it have a scratch? If the answer to either is yes, then get a decent kit for cleaning/polishing CDs/DVDs & try that.

Don't use anything else - polycarbonate is very sensitive to things like solvents, it develops stress-crazing; & even if you cant see it, a disc thus damaged may disintegrate in the drive - probably wrecking that as well.

Have you tried copying the contents of the DVD to your hard drive instead of just installing it? Have you tried cleaning the DVD or repairing it?

Well unfortunatley i bought the game when it was released so i wont be able to get a replacement for it because in addition ive moved to a totally different place so the store is nowhere near my current location. And yes it has some scratches wich look like theyve originated from rotating in the drive, if placebos tipp doesnt work ill definetly try to get it as clean as possible with a decent cleaning kit.

Thanks for all the suggestions (=

I believe that a lot of stores these days can offer DVD shaving services or whatever the heck they call it which basically shaves a minute layer of plastic off the underside of the disc which makes it readable again, not sure what the cost is though and considering you can get OA from our store right now for only €11.24 (steam and non steam) you might be better off there because then you always have access to your digital version no matter where you go :)

Well unfortunatley i bought the game when it was released so i wont be able to get a replacement for it because in addition ive moved to a totally different place so the store is nowhere near my current location. And yes it has some scratches wich look like theyve originated from rotating in the drive, if placebos tipp doesnt work ill definetly try to get it as clean as possible with a decent cleaning kit.

Thanks for all the suggestions (=

Google on how to manually clean dvd.... I have used toothpaste for years but I see people have also used Brasso with better results... good luck... Remember... this is not wood work so with the grain is bad.. :)

Toothpaste is probably safe, but I would be very wary of the long-term effects of exposure to Brasso - it contains ammonia. Ammonia is harmful to polycarbonates.

The safest solvent is ethanol, up to at least 70% v/v (use of which is the safest sterilisation method). It's hard to get hold of in most countries due to licensing laws.

A decent manual cleaning/polishing kit costs about the same as a single shaving service & will help keep all your DVDs and CDs in good condition. Battery-operated devices cost somewhat more & are probably not worth it unless you have a lot of crapped-up discs.