Sign in to follow this  
DirtyDog

Suggestion: Create better UX for walrus + shell targeting and firing

suggestion -- improve the user experience for using the shell with the walrus

I enjoy using the Walrus loaded out with the Shell (cannon). However, most of the time the enemy cannons are engaging me from a distance that requires that I aim very high up to hit back at them. When I do this, the camera placement is such that the physical model of the gun is directly over my target, making it very difficult to observe the trajectory and effect of my shells. If I want to see what the result of the shot was, I have to aim back down to depress the gun model low enough to see if I hit the target -- which causes me to lose my estimated point of aim, making it much harder to bracket shots and walk fire onto the target.

I suggest that the camera placement be moved to prevent the gun from occluding the target when firing at distant targets with the Shell.

Also, a HUGE improvement would be horizontal bar attached to a vertical line descending from the reticule. They don't have to correspond to an actual range or distance, just the fact that I can use these bars to range targets would help a lot.

Here's some bad ascii art to illustrate what I mean :) (crosshair in center of screen is represented at top with the "+")

(+)

-|-

-|-

-|-

-|-

The point of these bars is, once I learn at what range the shell lands in game when I put one of the bars on the target, it makes it easier to acquire new targets at the same range, as I have a persistence aiming point.

-dirtydog

While these are all good suggestions I must point out in more recent builds of the game (E3) the trajectory of shells is flatter. No more aiming at 45 degrees to hit a target 150 meters away.