Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: OA beta build 94444 (1.60 MP compatible build, post 1.60 release)

I thought the whole point of Zombies is they keep coming back ;).

Anyways, thanks for the updates, the game for me feels smoother in the last two betas apart from a little rubber banding two versions ago (could be my narrowband connection) so am looking forward to trying this one when I get some free time.

cj

@Sickboy

I agree with you,but we're not only here to give our opinion on what BIS does with these beta (whether it's cool or not or if it's working or not),but i think it's also to point devs to some forgotten issues that have existed since OFP !

It's not the right thread,and BIS is doing a great job in all cases and is not obliged to satisfy community's request,but there's that frustration feeling ... you know !

Tone mapping ,all those gear fixes and sunormoon-like introduced commands wouldn't have been done if dayz weren't here :S

The gear menu is still badly broken. Some screenshots here:

https://rapidshare.com/files/4052086578/9444_gearproblems.7z

First set OMJ1.60: Bardosi's Mighty Justice campaign, mission 3. Images show:

1. Gear menu from briefing screen. player unit;

2. Adding a MAWS

3. Removing the MAWS.

No problem with swapping gear

2nd set OMJ_b94444

Same order as in OMJ1.60 set. Note the screw-up on removing the MAWS.

3rd set: a mission called Invasion Chernogorsk by Coronel_Niel using 94444.

On selecting the M16 ACOG GL, all the rifle ammo disappears.

Thread cleaned up, stick to discussing the specifics of each beta release else people will simply find themselves banned from the beta forum.

but i think it's also to point devs to some forgotten issues that have existed since OFP !

I'm sorry but in a thread for a specific beta patch release that is not what they're for, the only feedback should be about what is in the patch that works and what is in the patch that doesn't work, not what Fred, Joe and Bob think should or should not be in the patch ;)

The gear menu is still badly broken. Some screenshots here:

https://rapidshare.com/files/4052086578/9444_gearproblems.7z

First set OMJ1.60: Bardosi's Mighty Justice campaign, mission 3. Images show:

1. Gear menu from briefing screen. player unit;

2. Adding a MAWS

3. Removing the MAWS.

No problem with swapping gear

2nd set OMJ_b94444

Same order as in OMJ1.60 set. Note the screw-up on removing the MAWS.

3rd set: a mission called Invasion Chernogorsk by Coronel_Niel using 94444.

On selecting the M16 ACOG GL, all the rifle ammo disappears.

Edit: apologies for the double post. After submitting I went to look at another forum, came back to find no post visible & the "Qucik reply" window still open. Guess it might be related to Placebo's thread cleaning (thanks for that, Placebo)

Edited by Orcinus
Inadvertent double post

Seems like the AI got back their "spider sense" so impossible to sneak up on them.

Same repro mission as before, one single AI soldier is on the other side of the building with his back against you. Try to slow crawl around the building and he magically senses you at ~10-15 m (you will hear a trigger sound when you are detected).

http://keycat.dyndns.org/files/A2OA_B84290_AI_Spider_sense.zip

Related CIT ticket: https://dev-heaven.net/issues/23300

/KC

I'm sorry but in a thread for a specific beta patch release that is not what they're for, the only feedback should be about what is in the patch that works and what is in the patch that doesn't work, not what Fred, Joe and Bob think should or should not be in the patch ;)

Ok mate, so let's start by clarifying the specifics of this beta ! otherwise everyone will get banned according to what you say :D !

Edited by On_Sabbatical

How about you just interpret the instructions how you think they should be interpreted, and we'll let you know if you're on the wrong track. No one is going to be banned for what they say within reason. Just stick to feedback about the fixes in the beta patches, please.

Seems like the AI got back their "spider sense" so impossible to sneak up on them.

Same repro mission as before, one single AI soldier is on the other side of the building with his back against you. Try to slow crawl around the building and he magically senses you at ~10-15 m (you will hear a trigger sound when you are detected).

http://keycat.dyndns.org/files/A2OA_B84290_AI_Spider_sense.zip

Related CIT ticket: https://dev-heaven.net/issues/23300

/KC

Crawling makes a noise, 10-50m isn't very far (30-50 feet). I know I'd be able to hear someone crawling over twigs and rocks in full battle rattle at that range.

The Ai doesn't rely on sight alone for detection, they have ears too, you know. ;)

Just tested OMAC's SuperBMP2 repro (https://dev-heaven.net/issues/28290#change-138873) and could not repro it on veteran settings. BMP2 got only aware with a "Guard waypoint" at the same place and with the HMMWV + additional waypoint driving towards next village. After contact the BMP2 started shooting, missed and tried to drive through the woods.... Seems to me that some people don't know that switching AI skills to 1 or UltraAI turns AI into "SuperAI" on purpose / just for testing. As for "spider-sense" - maybe increasing the noise feedback for players on movements and decreasing it for AI at reasonable distance could help here?

Just tested OMAC's SuperBMP2 repro (https://dev-heaven.net/issues/28290#change-138873) and could not repro it on veteran settings. BMP2 got only aware with a "Guard waypoint" at the same place and with the HMMWV + additional waypoint driving towards next village. After contact the BMP2 started shooting, missed and tried to drive through the woods.... Seems to me that some people don't know that switching AI skills to 1 or UltraAI turns AI into "SuperAI" on purpose / just for testing.

Where did you get this about "switching AI skills to 1" and "UltraAI"? I increased the BMP skill just a tad (see video), but not to 1, and don't know anything about UltraAI (sounds cool, though). Check this video, default Veteran settings:

-_9mqwP_Aw0

Here is gameplay on Expert, SuperAI.

2civWYDRfco

Not a lot of difference in spotting between the two. If anything, the BMP detected me sooner on Veteran. I'm not saying that anything is extremely wrong here, but I have been amazed for years at the intense AI effectiveness of the BMP-2 in terms of spotting and shooting from distance, even through vegetation. It does seem to me that there is a bit of the "uber-AI" going on with the BMP which Dwarden referred to. I remember when I played Dogs Of War, and was pinned down by a BMP on the outskirts of Cherno - just fucking brutal when a BMP has you targeted. I also remember in Freedom Fighters when a BMP was shooting at me through 200+ meters of dense forest as if it wasn't there. Of course I couldn't even see the thing.

I have to add that I am having loads of fun nailing that BMP from distance using the TOW on Expert - SuperAI. Try it. You'll like it.

Or try BMP vs. BMP at the same location in:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?133457-OMAC-Mission-Pack-1&p=2182028&viewfull=1#post2182028

Edited by OMAC

Crawling makes a noise, 10-50m isn't very far (30-50 feet). I know I'd be able to hear someone crawling over twigs and rocks in full battle rattle at that range.

The Ai doesn't rely on sight alone for detection, they have ears too, you know. ;)

This have been up before and for me it's a gameplay issue. Without the possibilty to sneak up on (or past) a AI sentry any kind of stealth type missions becomes impossible. For people only playing "all out war" type of missions this may not be a issue but for people like myself that also like stealth type missions it is.

I agree that crawling silently in full infantry combat gear may not be an easy thing to do but as a regular grunt I remember we had to do the regular "jump test" before any training mission and if our Lt could hear any equipment rattling he would let us know - the harsh way. I'm sure that if he could hear us at 50 m range he would be going ballistic :)

I would belive that a trained sniper (or spec ops) knows how to move silently and if you try the mission above you notice that it doesn't matter if you crawl 10 cm/min the AI will "sense" you coming and IIRC the AI skill is set to 0.50. I know for sure that it's been possible to slow crawl up behind a single AI sentry in earlier versions of A2:OA since I made a simple action meny script "simulating" a silent kill if you where closer than 1 m to the AI.

BTW: For some reason you can not slow crawl with the handgun selected, you must have the main gun (in this case the SVD). With the handgun you always crawl at normal speed (always been like that in A2).

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

The sneaking crawl is more or less essential to blow the gas station in The Jackal OA scenario without alerting the whole base. In that case there are about 3 enemy AI about 10m away from you. If the AI spider-sense has returned and sneaky crawls are impossible, then it may become almost impossible to plant a satchel close enough to the pumps to blow them without being detected and instantly killed.

Edited by OMAC

It may be just a cosmetic error, but the training mission 02: Parachute Jump doesn't work with this beta. Tried it with 1.60, went fine.

94444 fails to throw the player out of the plane after the initial chit chat.

I can confirm this.

Just tested OMAC's SuperBMP2 repro (https://dev-heaven.net/issues/28290#change-138873) and could not repro it on veteran settings. BMP2 got only aware with a "Guard waypoint" at the same place and with the HMMWV + additional waypoint driving towards next village. After contact the BMP2 started shooting, missed and tried to drive through the woods.... Seems to me that some people don't know that switching AI skills to 1 or UltraAI turns AI into "SuperAI" on purpose / just for testing. As for "spider-sense" - maybe increasing the noise feedback for players on movements and decreasing it for AI at reasonable distance could help here?

Perhaps the vehicle radar is detecting the Humvee.

Not a lot of difference in spotting between the two. If anything, the BMP detected me sooner on Veteran. I'm not saying that anything is extremely wrong here, but I have been amazed for years at the intense AI effectiveness of the BMP-2 in terms of spotting and shooting from distance, even through vegetation. It does seem to me that there is a bit of the "uber-AI" going on with the BMP which Dwarden referred to. I remember when I played Dogs Of War, and was pinned down by a BMP on the outskirts of Cherno - just fucking brutal when a BMP has you targeted. I also remember in Freedom Fighters when a BMP was shooting at me through 200+ meters of dense forest as if it wasn't there. Of course I couldn't even see the thing.

Maybe the "lock" not going away when you go into the woods. I know some times when I have something locked up it'll stay highlighted after its occluded sometimes.

AI BMP's accuracy is too much,you can't really engage a long fight with it,it just shoots you in no time.

On Warfare BE, as soon as town is triggered,the spawning BMPs start shooting at high rate and mega accuracy with a hitrate of more than 90%.

As of this recent beta patch, my direct chat is broken once again. I can not see anyone else's direct chat or hear them speak over direct chat. However, they can see mine just fine. Any ideas?

Detailed changelogs would certainly be useful, but changelog entries have never been available when the changes involve internal changes, changes to protection, or if the changes involve fixing bugs that were introduced by the betas etc, nothing new here.

Ok thanks for reminder Sickboy, forgotten about that part. ;)

AI BMP's accuracy is too much,you can't really engage a long fight with it,it just shoots you in no time.

On Warfare BE, as soon as town is triggered,the spawning BMPs start shooting at high rate and mega accuracy with a hitrate of more than 90%.

Look at a target and hold right-click so the box appear over the target, aim higher until the box gets a ring and then fire. This works for pretty much any gun emplacement, especially anti-air, and will tell you how far to lead the target. :)

Hi OMAC I also added one soldier (player) to each vehicle to repro it this way but the BMP2 did not spot the Humvee on his start position. The Humvee was only spotted by the BMP2 visible driving on the road towards the next town. Additional I made some test on Desert/Takistan just placing vehicles out of each others sight, behind hills and objects - they did not spot each other (instantly) on preview/mission start. Did you reset/revert AI difficulty or do you have an addon/mod active? What does happen if you set enemy skill (option menu) to 0.5/0.6/0.7 ? Just curious what gives your AI x-ray 360-degree-split-second spotting skills. Didn't experienced spider-sense AI (veteran) in a low-slow crawl beside a walking night patrol within 5m range. On the other hand AI needs sometimes too much time to select and fire at a target beyond 200-300m especially if those are heavy AT soldiers. These AI are firing 2 or 3 Javelins/Metis on one single vehicle of a enemy group/platoon instead of priorizing highest threats and attacking different vehicles/targets of this group. Strange A2OA AI.... :)

Hi everyone,

It may be just a cosmetic error, but the training mission 02: Parachute Jump doesn't work with this beta. Tried it with 1.60, went fine.

94444 fails to throw the player out of the plane after the initial chit chat.

Also the tank training mission is bawked. I hope they fix the tutorials before they release 1.61, they are my favourite part of the game. :rolleyes:

Hi OMAC I also added one soldier (player) to each vehicle to repro it this way but the BMP2 did not spot the Humvee on his start position. The Humvee was only spotted by the BMP2 visible driving on the road towards the next town. Additional I made some test on Desert/Takistan just placing vehicles out of each others sight, behind hills and objects - they did not spot each other (instantly) on preview/mission start. Did you reset/revert AI difficulty or do you have an addon/mod active? What does happen if you set enemy skill (option menu) to 0.5/0.6/0.7 ? Just curious what gives your AI x-ray 360-degree-split-second spotting skills. Didn't experienced spider-sense AI (veteran) in a low-slow crawl beside a walking night patrol within 5m range. On the other hand AI needs sometimes too much time to select and fire at a target beyond 200-300m especially if those are heavy AT soldiers. These AI are firing 2 or 3 Javelins/Metis on one single vehicle of a enemy group/platoon instead of priorizing highest threats and attacking different vehicles/targets of this group. Strange A2OA AI.... :)

Hi NRG,

All settings are default, except I upped the BMP skill just a little bit in its initialization in the editor. Nothing else modified, no mods used. Try it again on veteran, and back up the hummer about 10 m from initial position so that you have a clear view of the distant clearing on the mountain, as in videos. The aim of that BMP is PHENOMENAL!! :eek: It's like the BMP has an arty computer and super-radar installed for targeting/aim control and insta-hits.

You can try switching places so that you are the BMP gunner, and see if you can target and destroy the TOW hummer with 4 shots of your cannon within ~20 seconds of spawn. NOT!

It is good that one can still make a stealthy crawl!

* minor fixes and tweaks

I tested it and found some really interesting stuff, but I'm not going to tell you what it is.