Sign in to follow this  
Bouben

Is it just me or throwing a grenade gives a knowsAbout to AI about you?

I tried to attack an enemy Stryker HQ with a grenade in a deep forest while I was behind him and after the grenade exploded he instantly shoot me through clutter.

Has anyone similar experience?

Yes, same here as well as after shooting the MAAS, they know your exact location and instantly shot dead.

Are you playing straight Arma 2 or Operation Arrowhead. There was an issue in A2 regards grenades, but that was a while back. I use that many mods now I don’t get the problem..

Original ofp had the same thing if I recall correctly..

I would use Ace 2, see if that helps..

However they do react to the side the vehicle was hit by the grenade i.e. if they detect a grenade hitting, and it came from the rear, first place they look and fire, usually a spread fire..

I am playing CO, patched. With mods (suspecting ASR AI) it is even worse because AI's knowsAbout gets unrealistically high - instant pinpoint. Without mods they are able to guess a direction from which grenade had come but problem is they don't need to see a grenade itself to guess it. So even if you throw a grenade on them from behind and it drops behind them they will always guess a correct direction which is bad.

Test it yourself in editor with AIDetection(mission+scripts)_v1.1. It is pretty obvious then.

I am playing CO, patched. With mods (suspecting ASR AI) it is even worse because AI's knowsAbout gets unrealistically high - instant pinpoint. Without mods they are able to guess a direction from which grenade had come but problem is they don't need to see a grenade itself to guess it. So even if you throw a grenade on them from behind and it drops behind them they will always guess a correct direction which is bad.

Test it yourself in editor with AIDetection(mission+scripts)_v1.1. It is pretty obvious then.

I spend most of my time in the Editor making missions for our group, so I know what you mean about the grenade thing, but like I said, we as a group don't get the problem much, if at all now. But yes it is one of the series slight fallbacks, but I forgive them a few here and there, as the rest makes up so much. It ain't perfect, as they say, but its not far off.

I tried to attack an enemy Stryker HQ with a grenade in a deep forest while I was behind him and after the grenade exploded he instantly shoot me through clutter.

Has anyone similar experience?

Yup. Annoying. Glad to see your post. Using ACE + ASR_AI.

I experienced the same, also why do heavy machine gun have the precision of a sniper rifle? Meh....

I experienced the same, also why do heavy machine gun have the precision of a sniper rifle? Meh....

Because the greatest sniper in Vietnam just slapped a scope on an M2, and the devs forget to compensate AI gunners for their lack of recoil.

Regarding grenades. Understandably, the act of throwing one makes noise. The AI can only find you based on the noise of your clothes rustling as you throw the grenade. This means that if you throw from 100m or so (admittedly beyond the range of your arm), they will be none the wiser. I tested this with Strykers and infantry and used an AI tracking script.

When I closed to within 50m; I threw at the Stryker, the grenade exploded. Then the Stryker knew that I was within a 500m (rougly) circle, and probably behind him, with a high degree of inaccuracy. Accordingly, it swiveled its gun to scan for me, and shot me because I was very close by and not in concealment.

The problem here is that throwing grenades to too loud, especially where vehicles are concerned, because they are so bad at hearing gunshots and footsteps from inside the cabin. But I see no evidence of artificial knowsabout mechanics here.

For perspective, I just threw a grenade at an enemy rifleman from 50m. Based on the sound, he guessed that I was in a 200m circle behind him. But his guess was wrong. I was slightly outside the circle, and he had to turn around and stare for a minute to acquire me visually.

There is one way in which grenades are handled differently by the AI. They only 'hear' the thrower if the explosion almost reaches them. Otherwise, they ignore it and discard the audio information of the throw. This is actually logical, because the 'loudness' of the throw can be construed as a representation of the AI thinking logically about the probable location of a grenade thrower who must be within a very small radius around them. If I was attacked by a grenade, I would check behind me and look at areas of possible cover. The current behavior allows the AI to scan all possible attack vectors, emphatically WITHOUT pinpoint precision.

Edited by maturin

At one time I also thought the ai could track me after I touch off a bomb. I have not really done much test in Arma 2 with the ai so dont really know how they act to it now.

At one time I also thought the ai could track me after I touch off a bomb. I have not really done much test in Arma 2 with the ai so dont really know how they act to it now.

I think I saw a ticket on the bugtracker concerning this (may have been for an older game?). It is fixed.

This isn't true. I test with ASR all the time, and there is nothing instant. There is always the two-step process, hearing and then sight. In ASR as in vanilla, they guess your location based on sound with a high degree of inaccuracy, then turn to look in that direction. If you are prone in grass at range, they won't see you unless you fire again. KnowsAbout is not a value that is easy to understand. If you want, I will send you a mission the depicts AI knowledge visually, with a position-based system. It's how I know everything I know.

As for MAAWS, it is fucking loud and creates a ball of fire, cloud of smoke, and kicks of dust behind you. The most obvious type of weapon on the battlefield.

Edited by maturin

-delete please-

Edited by Bouben

I cant be bothered to check if it has changed, but hitting a unit used to give him some knowsabout about you, so that may be the cause. Though that does not necessarily reveal your position to him, as knowsabout is more of an indication of how much a unit knows about another units side (or class?).

nearTargets can be used to reveal the position where one unit thinks another unit is, which may be different from its real position. You can use this to test wether or not your real position is revealed, or that the AI just gets your general area, and then kills you.

Edited by NeMeSiS