Sign in to follow this  
Varanon

How is the satmap/mask actually mapped (grid center, grid edges ) ?

A question that has been bothering me for some time: How is the satellite texture and mask actually mapped to the terrain ?

If, for example, I have a grid of 512x512 and a satmap of the same dimensions, do the pixels of the satmap get mapped on the terrain vertices ? Or between adjacent vertices ?

The question is interesting to me because I also have the problem with the satmap not showing correctly on eastern and southern borders. I was wondering if that was related.

If the satmap is mapped between the vertices, the map would actually be one pixel shorter. Let me try to explain:

If I had a 3x3 grid of terrain vertices, these would form a 2x2 square mesh (crappy ASCII art):

+--+--+
|  |  |
+--+--+
|  |  |
+--+--+

So, to fit a 3x3 texture on the above "mesh" it would be necessary to map the pixel centers of the satmap to the vertices.

Any idea ?

- Varanon

Edited by Varanon
Typo

thanks for the pointer, but that's not the problem, I read about the blue edge problem. I checked the BIS maps (Takistan, Proving Grounds etc), and they seem to have the same problem with the southern and eastern edges, so there's probably nothing I can do about it.

I don't think there is or at the very least I do not know about it. I would think that if there was a quick solution BI would've implemented it but I could be wrong on that. If you happen to find one though please let me know as the problem as been annoying to me since most of my maps are not islands.

...I also have the problem with the satmap not showing correctly on eastern and southern borders.

Can you provide a picture of what 'not showing correctly' means?

Can you provide a picture of what 'not showing correctly' means?

This thread on the forum shows the problem

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------

I don't think there is or at the very least I do not know about it. I would think that if there was a quick solution BI would've implemented it but I could be wrong on that. If you happen to find one though please let me know as the problem as been annoying to me since most of my maps are not islands.

Yeah, I guess there is no solution. On larger terrain, it's not THAT much of a problem, since you can usually stay away from the borders, but my terrain is just 2x2 km (i.e. first island project).

Meh, must live with it I guess