Sign in to follow this  
Mr Butlertron

US Army ditches digital camo scheme. Will Arma 3 follow suit?

Why is no one jumping over A-TACS?

BTW, read these 4 threads. I think they give some cred to the UCP designers

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=233153

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=180914

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=169830

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=222513

Edited by Seawolfiv
added ucp info

That's like so obvious, and like most of the people on here are going on like the soldiers in ArmA3 are using UCP. I don't get it. Maybe they will see your post, and get it. I posted basically the same thing hours ago, and everyone overlooked it.

Because the topic has been veered away from the course of Arma 3 and more about the camo's themselves.

I hope they still keep the ACU. I think it is pretty cool. But the thing that bothers me is how much money they spent on the damn thing. Does it really cost that much to design a pattern?

Wait a second. The article in question says about infantry camouflage, not vehicle one. That means, whether they will be using digital ("pixelated") camouflage for vehicles is an open question.

Second, as DemonMustang already pointed out, the article talks about ditching specific color scheme (which was supposed to be universal), not digicam as a principle altogether.

Hence, I think, the thread title is a little bit too generic, as are the conclusions.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Edited by DarkWanderer

Simple, navy blue blank camo... it suits cool and warm temperatures. Its good for day and night, and it isn't too hot. Secondly, it looks darker in warm air or lack of light and it also can blend in with green well. Secondly, most Taliban engagements are at distances where haze becomes affective. Light blue distorts their vision quite well :)

For instance... try spotting a Navy Blue infantry on a picture like this...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/navyweek/6271006027/

the army as chossen the ARPAT only to look cooler than the marines, the problem is the ARPAT is only good at one thing, to don't be washed ...

if you put yourself in dirt or sand with this camo it's perfect, but if you clean it you're white like snow and everybody can see you 2 kilometers away

Plain olive-grey was not that bad from my own experience, it was cheap and could fit most environments. I think the whole camo thing is vastly overrated in a world where you can aquire Thermal Imaging Optics for less than 2.000 € in any better hunting equipment store. IN fact I have seen the newer flecktarn perform worse in lots of situations...its simply too dark when it's new.

@Beagle, yeah Olive Gray was the second choice I had. It can also be called Olive Drab but it is the most ordinary color, but works fine in most of any environment. But to me, honestly camo does not work... the environment provides you holes to hide in. Whether or not you're seen is really what I find the problem, camo can help with blending in on patrol. And avoiding a bullet or two, but it isn't going to be very useful if you're standing up tall. As said previously, dirt and sand will help conceal you.

*insert picture of soldier lying on sofa*

DigiCam pattern is fine. Grey is not.

I hope they still keep the ACU. I think it is pretty cool. But the thing that bothers me is how much money they spent on the damn thing. Does it really cost that much to design a pattern?

A lot of research goes into designing camouflage patterns. From what I've read it's no quick process. And research+time costs a lot of money.

A five year old with some crayons, and no money, could make better camouflage. Why was this so pricey?

Because the politicians who decide this do not use their money to pay it but tax money. Most of them seem to think that tax money is generated by a magic money shitting donkey. You just need to feed him if you want some.

The name says it all, there simply cannot be a 'universal' camoflage. The range of environments is simply too large.The 5bill spent was probably a way to stuff peoples pockets before the 'long quiet' of development after the acquisition of a 'universal' product. Nothing wrong with digicam per-say just the colors and the lazy money grabbin behind this particular development.

Segue warning!

Anyone else see a parallel with the 'universal' airframe of the F-35?

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Ki86x1WKPmE&feature=colike

You mean the variants with and without hover capability?

Edited by NodUnit

The name says it all, there simply cannot be a 'universal' camoflage. The range of environments is simply too large.The 5bill spent was probably a way to stuff peoples pockets before the 'long quiet' of development after the acquisition of a 'universal' product. Nothing wrong with digicam per-say just the colors and the lazy money grabbin behind this particular development.

I wouldn't call UCP a BAD camouflage, it works better than everyone thinks, it just over extends itself. Its a jack of all trades and a master of nothing. It works Ok everywhere (a lot of places better than Multicam), but there are definitely better specialized camos.

You mean the variants with and without hover capability?

And the budget blowouts, political wrangling and arguments re service/mission/nation requirements, pondering wether they are expecting too much from the platform etc.

The parallel being that the OP seemed concerned with the authenticity of digicam, due to a decision about UCP. And didn't seem to check the length of the bow he was drawing. And it made me wonder for just a moment if the F-35 in A3 could hypotheticaly suffer the same judgement in the A3 universe. Will it be judged well, or maybe just a little shit at everything, when standing on its own?

After all there must be some reason the Iranians aren't particularly frightened of western air power.

Wait, I don't understand... Why are you guys going on the large range of US camo's, and fighting over which is less shitty, when the only camo BLUFOR have been seen in is multicam?

I honestly don't know myself. I'm fine with the camo chosen for ArmA3 right now.

might be late

BUT EVERYONES WROOONNNGG

multicam is the temporary pattern in use in afghanistan because it works, but its not going to stay. the armys having a camouflage trial competition thing including companies like ADS working w/ guy cramer, crye precision, etc.

the patterns chosen will be in service by 2015, and will include woodland, transitional (think multicam), and a desert pattern. there will also be an OCIE pattern for individual equipment like vests and rucksacks.

http://www.adsinc.com/solutions/clothing-programs/camouflage-solutions/us4ces/

this is one of the 4 companies' patterns

but yeah

arma3 dudes clearly have multicam

might be late

BUT EVERYONES WROOONNNGG

multicam is the temporary pattern in use in afghanistan because it works, but its not going to stay. the armys having a camouflage trial competition thing including companies like ADS working w/ guy cramer, crye precision, etc.

the patterns chosen will be in service by 2015, and will include woodland, transitional (think multicam), and a desert pattern. there will also be an OCIE pattern for individual equipment like vests and rucksacks.

http://www.adsinc.com/solutions/clothing-programs/camouflage-solutions/us4ces/

this is one of the 4 companies' patterns

but yeah

arma3 dudes clearly have multicam

Apparently Crye Precision also has camo patterns in the trial, but let me say that of the camo patterns that have been publicly revealed, I don't think any of those are that exceptional. Especially can't stand ADS's US4CES camo. I don't think ATACS is that great, and whatever that snake skin camo was, don't think that was great either. I'd rather they just get Crye Precision to develop woodland, temperate, arid, desert, and winter patterns.

CP has yet to release theirs, but I'm assuming it'll be something similar to multicam. But of the current ones revealed, I like US4CES the most.

Honestly, I think that sticking with UCP wouldn't be a bad thing, it works decently in most environments.

Sadly, the afghanistan mountains aren't covered in fugly sofas.

You've obviously never heard of urban warfare. In a backwater country like Baghdad (purposeful ignorance), fugly sofas are obviously plentiful. There might even be the occasional hideous futon.