Sign in to follow this  
groo567

Destroyed Carrier Parts?

So I just started playing this game yesterday, and have encountered the enemy carrier a couple of times now. I've learned that apparently I'm no good at fighting the carrier, since I was barely able to survive the first encounter only because the enemy randomly decided to leave.

This time, things went a little differently. We both launched all our vehicles (something neither I nor the enemy had done the last round), with me already being short a few. I was able to destroy most of the enemy vehicles with a laser-equipped Walrus. (I'm learning to love lasers :) )

So at this point we are both sitting here next to each other, both with apparently multiple destroyed components that prevent any fighting or leaving. I've lost engines, lifts, docks, offensive systems, and probably more that I'm not thinking of. What am I supposed to do about this? It appears that the repair function is not capable of restoring something that is destroyed, so I thought maybe my island would have parts they could send me, but all they can produce for the carrier is drones and fuel.

I'll appreciate anything that means I won't have to start the game over again.

Oh, and while I'm here, I might also mention that one of my Walruses is apparently hovering a few feet over the water and completely unable to do anything, despite being full of ammo and fuel and everything.

Edit: Sorry for taking up space here with this, but I just fixed my own issue. I guess destroyed systems can be repaired after all. I just didn't have enough fuel to do it. Got some fuel from the nearby island and now I'm back in business.

Edited by groo567
Solved my own issue... x_x

Your carrier needs fuel to perform repairs. You might need to call the supply barque after you have produced some. The repair priority levels of the carriers subsystems only regulate up to which amount of fuel on the carrier the selected subsystem can be repaired. IMHO the fuel consumption for repairs is too high - one of many things BI should tweak before release.

Damage Control is still horribly broken - priorities don't work and it's not obvious how much fuel or time it will cost to repair anything. If Lifts are at 50%, why can I only dock Mantas 2 and 3? but 4 and 5 wont dock. Right Walrus docks - which Walruses are those? I know I can look at the side of the carrier - but in a combat situation you don't have time for little things like that - even a tooltip would be great.

If I'm in the control tower, and it's been blasted to 0%, why am I still in it?

I've not had the hovering Walrus problem yet - but I have had one rolled over and lodged in between the carrier's hull and the outrigger engines.

Managed to free it eventually, but it was stuck upside down, wheels churning, and when told to dock all it did was churn water until it run out of fuel. I couldn't even knock it around with another Walrus, and I had no Hook to try that. Ended up having to abandon it.

The whole carrier on carrier part of the game is a bit of a mess. This is going to have be fixed for release or there will be blood.

If I'm in the control tower, and it's been blasted to 0%, why am I still in it?

In the original Carrier Command from 1988 both carriers were autonomous units programmed to exploit the islands. One of them - unfortunately the faster and stronger one - got hacked by some terrorists, so you are given the command over the remaining carrier (hence "Carrier Command"). This could be done by deactivating the obviously vulnerable AI and you taking over instead by remote. You never were "on board". You might be even sitting at home with mouse and keyboard...

If CCGM follows the story of the original game, that might explain why you could blast the control tower without damage to yourself. It would NOT explain why the remote control unit can be magically invulnerable, though. But maybe this is one of those questions you better don't ask. ;)