Sign in to follow this  
suma

Attention: getPlayerUID compatibility note

Beware, following compatibility note was added to http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/getPlayerUID:

Note: while for ArmA 2 or ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead the result always contains a number, it should be always handled as an opaque string. Converting it to a Number can cause precision problems , as Number cannot accurately represent integers above 16777216 (2^24). Moreover, future game versions may provide a non-numeric value as a result.

We are preparing a significant new features in handling the playerId for Operation Arrowhead, significantly improving their security and reliability. However, it is impossible for us to keep the current size limitations for the playerId, and therefore it is important that addon and missions makers adapt their scripts to be able to accept non-numeric (or large numeric) values as well, besides of the small numeric values seen until now. Before implementing and publishing those features we would like to be sure the community content is ready for the change.

Edited by Suma

would this mean that all players UID's will need to be updated with the new numbering system or just new downloads/CD's purchased

When you say a opaque string, it includes any type of chars i supose, am I right?, i am using UID as part of a variable name, so it would be a problem for example if the string can content restricted chars for variable names.

Edited by columdrum

When you say a opaque string, it includes any type of chars i supose, am I right?, i am using UID as part of a variable name, so it would be a problem for example if the string can content restricted chars for variable names.

OK. This is a restriction we can impose on our future implementations. The UID will only contain numbers and upper case letters.

---------- Post added at 11:09 ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 ----------

would this mean that all players UID's will need to be updated with the new numbering system or just new downloads/CD's purchased

The UIDs for Operation Arrowhead products will stay the same. The UIDs for all other products will change automatically once a version of engine including this change is published for them. The first visible change will be for players using Reinforcements or Arma X license, which will have they UID changed once they use the new executable, and therefore they will appear as a new players to all systems using the UID (including DayZ hive).